The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  New Nashville 112s -- differences?
Doug Hall

Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2018 9:43 pm    

I've seen new NV 112 amps with the chicken head knobs, different from the earlier NV 112s. Does anybody know if there are any other differences?

Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2018 8:35 am    

That is the difference.

The new Nashville 112 was modeled after my original NV112.

When the first batch arrived at Peavey, i took my original amp to meridian and discovered that the new amps did not compare.

Peavey engineers compared every component and discovered some parts had been substituted.

The amp was respeced and now they are identical electronics to the original.

Buck Reid played straight into his new amp in Dallas and it was great.
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.

John Palumbo

Lansdale, PA.
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2018 3:26 pm    

I'm sure it's a great amp and I hope to possibly buy one at some time. But just cosmetic wise that style of knobs just doesn't seem to fit, same also on the Session 115.

Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2018 3:34 pm    

I agree with you about the knobs.
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.

Last edited by Bill Ferguson on 10 Apr 2018 11:26 am; edited 1 time in total

Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2018 11:16 am    

I just spent ten days in Anchorage Alaska playing a handful of gigs,I borrowed a Nashville 112 from Forumite Bobby Mitchell and it was great,I could not tell any difference from my new 112 with chicken head knobs,Love the spring reverb which I prefer.
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

Patrick Edwards

Port Orchard, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2018 5:14 am    

What kind of op-amp chips are in the new nv 112? Are they soldered into the board ?
Would anyone want or need to “upgrade” them?

Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2018 5:31 am    

I don't know why you would want to change anything.
Peavey engineers made this amp for the steel guitarist.
It is pure Peavey sound that has been the standard for years.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2018 6:21 am    

I'm not one to mod amps, I'm not a design engineer, but the OPA2134 chips in a NV112 (or NV1000) make a major "plus" difference.

I don't know about the current production models, but some later production models were switched from chips on plug in sockets to soldered on the circuit board. A major task to replace the soldered type (and not screw up the circuit board).

Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2018 6:28 am    

The new Nashville 112 was modeled after my original Nashville 112 (one of the first ones built).
I can't answer about replaceable chips, but I will say that the new amp, regardless of where it is made, is completely up to par.

I have people ask all the time about the new Nashville 112, since it (like everything else) is made in China.

Well, to see for myself, I ordered me a new one and received it last Monday.
I played CD into it for 3 hours to break in the speaker, then took it to my gig.
(Yep because of my back surgery, Linda had to load it for me).
The amp performed great. The spring reverb is a little touchy, but I found the sweet spot and was very pleased.

I used my Zum (which is going to be for sale soon), my Telonics volume pedal and the Nashville 112. No outboard effects.
I also tried it with my Goodrich Pot Pedal, with the 3 wire hookup and it had that great raw volume pot sound.

This is a keeper.

Daniel Haymore

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2018 10:41 am    

Played through one this past weekend and was really surprised at how much i liked it. I actually love the chicken head knobs. Only reason I haven't pulled the trigger is because they are made in China. I'm not looking for a new amp but was really impressed with the tone. It does bum me out that they aren't made in the US anymore. Having said that, the one i played sounded great.

Steve Spitz

New Orleans, LA, USA
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2018 4:04 pm    

I like the chicken head knobs as well, easy to see in dim light. You could hold out for a used American made amp.. They seem to come up for sale fairly often, they sold quite a few. I played hundreds of shows on mine. It served me well.