The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  TOM BRUMLEY MEMORABILIA, Treasures..
Mickey Adams

Bandera Texas
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2018 12:57 pm    

OUR dear friend Rolene Brumley has asked me personally to assist her in passing on some of her late husband Toms gear and clothing...Some of these things are part of country music history...Each with its own stories, and memories, of which Rolene will be able to fill you all in on as this thread progresses...At the heart of this offering is the Fender Bassman that was highly modified by Leo himself.(which makes it a one off original Fender).This is the very amp that Tom recorded Together Again with....And of course a beautiful Custom ZB D11...
This thread is merely to introduce you to all of the items that will be available...Rolene will post here to and answer any specific questions that you may have, and we will move them as needed...Thanks for looking everyone!...

[img]https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/userpix1712/3935_81D1F60E64494B819515DACFA
791DB3B_1.jpg[/img]

Anderson, Buscarino, Fender, Roman Guitars, Sarno Octal, Revelation Preamps, BJS BARS, Lots of Blackface Fenders!

Last edited by Mickey Adams on 5 Apr 2018 5:51 am; edited 1 time in total

Mickey Adams

Bandera Texas
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2018 1:09 pm    

OK...JOHNNY BUSH is NOT for sale....Thank you
Anderson, Buscarino, Fender, Roman Guitars, Sarno Octal, Revelation Preamps, BJS BARS, Lots of Blackface Fenders!

Russ Tkac

Post  Posted 4 Apr 2018 2:39 pm    

That's THE D-11!

J R Rose

Keota, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2018 7:25 pm    

OH Mickey, I think you have opened a can of worms here. I don't know anything but have read a lot thru the years about Tom. So where does this info fit in with the story of Tom using a beat up Fender 2000 that was Buck's and they recorded the first Captiol Recording's that including Together Again with a Fender Twin. Then his first ZB was a Green D-10 that was used at the Carnegie Hall Concert also with a Fender Twin. My under standing is that he used the Green ZB for some time and the Black one came along sometime later. As I said I do not know. Maybe Greg Jones will see this and join in because I think he spent a lot of time with Tom and has a wealth of knowledge about Tom. I think also has one of Tom's guitars, I did know which one but can't remember now. Their is so much that was not written down about Tom. He was one of the innovator's of pedal steel guitar as we know it today. When was it? 1963 that they did Together Again. So many today do not realize what that one song did for pedal steel guitar. On top of all that Tom was the most Kind, Gentle, Gentleman you could hope to meet. My Hero. Thank You, J.R. Rose

Jonathan Shacklock

London, UK
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2018 5:11 am    

Wow! Incredible. I know these are museum pieces but I hope the lucky player(s) who end up with this gear play it out occasionally. I'd be out with that stuff every weekend! Very Happy

Daniel Haymore

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2018 7:32 am    

Any info on when/where these will be offered?

Tom Brumley

Nixa, Mo, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2018 9:05 am     Tom's Memorabilia

I will be listing all soon.

Mickey Adams

Bandera Texas
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2018 1:06 pm    

On top!

B. Greg Jones

Middleport, Ohio USA
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2018 5:39 pm    

A little history on this guitar. Serial #1039 was invoice to Tom on July 13th, 1966. It was used live and in the studio exclusively until mid to late 1968 when Tom got a D-11-10. This was the 1st D-11 ever built by Zane and was custom built for Tom. The guitar has some very rare and unique features. The belly, is orange and very few guitars left painted that way in 66'. There are no changer caps as in most ZB's. At Tom's request there are solid stainless steel changer top fingers. The changers are also equipped for triple raise AND lower on each finger. I have played and inspected this very guitar and it is original as can be. Just the way Tom played it with Buck. I did not do any adjusting or mechanical work to the guitar. It doesn't need it. It plays like butter and sounds wonderful. I would say that if you found any fingerprints on it, they were Tom's. The 1st string on the C6 neck is missing. Tom took it off because he didn't care for the 11 string C6 tuning. All of his later guitars were D-11-10. To see this guitar and play it will make you realize how well Tom took care of his gear. It is the nicest original condition ZB that I have ever laid hands on and I have worked on a bunch.

The pedals are set up standard Emmons. RKR lower the 2nd string from D# to D and LKL lowers 4 and 8 to Eb. I cant remember but this guitar may also have ball bearing nut rollers. Tom was going to convert this guitar to an SD-11 and put his latest set-up on it. Billy Knowles and myself, talked him out of it. There is a lot of history and hit songs on this guitar, Ranch shows, Merv Griffin show, Jackie Gleason show and Bucks Live in Japan album.

Greg

Tom Brumley

Nixa, Mo, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2018 5:53 pm     Tom's Memorabilia

Wow, Greg, thank you for all that great information on Tom's Dll. He's my Tom Brumley and ZB historian.I was there but I can't tell you what guitar and what amp he played on what record and Greg can. Love you Greg

B. Greg Jones

Middleport, Ohio USA
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2018 8:37 pm    

Tom recorded "Together Again" on a Fender 1000 that Buck told him they had and he could use when he got to California. Tom had his own Fender 1000 but, left it in Texas at home. When they got to the studio, Tom opened the case on the steel only to find it had been totally torn apart. He and Don worked on the guitar and got 2 pedals working on the E9th neck on 2 strings. That's why most of the whole song is played using those 2 strings. Fender later replaced that guitar with a newer one and the original one was sent back to Fender. What happened to that steel....no one knows. The fender Bassman amp in the pictures above was bought by Tom when he was in Germany, serving in the U.S. Army. It is either a 58' or 59' Bassman and was originally tweed covered. Tom used this amp on Together Again and a couple other cuts on that album. Fender then supplied him with a Bandmaster and this amp along with the newer Fender 1000 steel is also on that album. You can tell which guitar/amp it is by the difference in the tone. Close Up the Honky Tonks sounds completely different than Together Again. Tom sent the Bassman back to Fender to have reverb installed in it. Leo Fender did the work and had also covered it in black tolex and replaced the grill cloth with a newer silver one as seen in the pictures above. Tom didn't want the amp recovered and it was a total surprise to him when he got the amp back. Don Rich also used this amplifier for live shows when Tom got the Bandmaster. You can clearly see it on You Tube of them playing on the Jimmy Dean show. The amp also has a JBL D-130 in it. Not sure when Tom had that installed. Then the Buckaroos went to custom built Fender Twin Reverbs for both Tom and Don. They were rated at 100 watts instead of 85 watts and of course equipped with JBL's. Tom used to pack the ZB D-11 in one hand and the Twin in the other at the same time. They were their own roadies and Tom said he thought that's why he had some back problems!!!! Tom was my friend and we spent hours talking and I asked a bunch of questions on his gear. I sure miss him!!!

Greg

Mickey Adams

Bandera Texas
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2018 2:42 am    

Awesome read!

Patrick Ickes

Upper Lake, CA USA
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2018 8:15 am     Tom's twin ZB

I have SN#1107. It looks just like the one pictured.
Black guitars do sound better!
Thanks for the history. Man, that Bassman would be a great compliment to my ZB.
Patrick

Tom Brumley

Nixa, Mo, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2018 11:58 am     Tom's Memorabilia

Thanks again Greg !!!! Love you

Mickey Adams

Bandera Texas
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2018 12:03 pm    

Smile

Dan Behringer

Jerseyville, Illinois
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2018 12:46 pm    

It’s heart breaking we don’t have a steel guitar museum to display these treasures. As it is, we don’t even have a place to display the Hall of Fame plaques. Maybe we should try and talk someone like Bill Gates into taking up the pedal steel. LoL!

J R Rose

Keota, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2018 1:12 pm    

Thank You Greg Jones for joining in. I knew that you could set us straight. Thanks Again, J.R. Rose

Tom Brumley

Nixa, Mo, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2018 2:34 pm     Tom's Memorabilia

I have been contacted by Joe Chambers Nashville Musicians Hall of Fame. I will be letting you all know.......