The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Cakewalk by BandLab - FREE
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2018 5:39 am    

BandLab, the new owner of Cakewalk Sonar recording studio "DAW" program has released a free version "Cakewalk by BandLab".

Read about it here (and download).
https://blog.bandlab.com/cakewalk-by-bandlab-press-release/

DG Whitley

Post  Posted 4 Apr 2018 2:59 pm    

Jack, I have tried all three of my browsers and keep getting a "Gateway Timed Out" error. Probably just me.

Edited to add: Now getting "502 Bad Gateway Error".

Larry Carlson

My Computer
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2018 3:20 pm    

Yup....I get the same thing.

502 Bad Gateway
nginx/1.11.6
Sometimes it doesn't.
But I keep on trying.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2018 2:27 am    

I downloaded the "new" version yesterday. Their connection is slow. Probably overloaded with people downloading "Cakewalk by BandLab".

The BandLab version is identical to my Sonar Platinum version. Only thing I see different is it has the new name.

Rick Bernauer

Kansas, USA
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2018 4:18 pm    

Thanks Jack. As a long time Sonar user (back to original DOS Cakewalk) I'm glad to have a company take over the development. We'll see how it goes from here.

It appears that the download installs into a new folder in Program Files called \Cakewalk Core. It does leave your old Sonar Platinum programs in place.

Interestingly, on my system the new download shows on the HELP ABOUT screen a "Membership expiration date" while the old Sonar files show the same HELP ABOUT screen with "Membership valid through infinity - owned"

I wonder if the new Bandlab version will switch to subscription based in the fall.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2018 5:34 am    

I asked about the "Membership expiration date" on the Sonar forum and was told that is just an arbitrary date. My thought, if its "arbitrary" and will change later why even have it.

I've used Sonar ever since I converted from a hard drive recorder to Computer DAW (since V6). I've also got Studio One 3 Pro but can't really get into it.

Jon Smorada

Industry, PA USA
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2018 2:24 am    

I completely agree, Jack. I bought Studio One 3 and didn't really like it either. Tried Pro Tools as well and in spite of it being so popular I didn't get into it either; most likely because I'm so used to Sonar. I just finished downloading Cakewalk by BandLab and installed it. Now it wants me to log in to BandLab Assistant to register it and take it out of demo mode but I can't find where to register it. Any ideas (before I open a ticket with them)?

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2018 4:43 am    

I'm registered with BandLab, and if you are not that may be what's holding it up. When you first start the BandLab Assistant it wants you to log in.

There was a post on the Sonar forum about registering with BandLab using your Sonar forum name (and new password).

Jon Smorada

Industry, PA USA
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2018 6:44 am    

Already did that...hmmm

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2018 8:06 am    

According to Noel Borthwick (the former Sonar GURU that now works for BandLab) you must first be logged into BandLab with the Assistant and then download Sonar. You will have to uninstall BandLab Cakewalk (Sonar) first and then do the login and download again.