The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Mike Johnson and reverb
Larry Behm

Mt Angel, Or 97362
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2018 8:40 am    

Listening to a lot of Mike, seems like he is a minimalist when it comes to the use of reverb and no delay. Just the pure sound of the steel. Correct me those who know him or call him and ask. Inquiring minds or just plain steel guitar junkies want to know his take on that issue.

He does not hide behind it, lays his intonation on the line, line after musical line. Got to love Mike and the same goes for Gary Carter.

Phone: 971-219-8533

John Goux

California, USA
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2018 9:00 am    

Mike explains his use of reverb and delay in this great video. Here is the link.
John

https://youtu.be/70KyY9GNUPk

John Swain

Winchester, Va
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2018 9:41 am    

When Mike played at the Georgia Show years ago, he used his Emmons p/p with pot pedal, a Sarno BlackBox into a stock Peavey Nashville 400. Great live sound!

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2018 10:19 am    

I remember a Buddy Emmons show in the Twin Cities decades ago. During the break I moseyed up to the stage to spy on the settings on the Session 400 he was playing through (might have been Ernie's or Clem's). The reverb was set to zero.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2018 8:28 am    

Jack,
On some of the videos of Buddy's, he has a chair setting next to him and it looks like he is fiddling around with what looks like either a Boss DD-2 or a DD-3 delay pedal.
Erv

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2018 9:13 am    

Erv,
Pretty certain that Clem's shows preceded the introduction of the BOSS digital delay pedals. Buddy did sparingly use an Echoplex (Witch's Brew?) if I recall correctly. There must be someone here (Ernie? Mike? Kevin?) who will remember.
-Jack

Kyle Everson

Nashville, Tennessee
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2018 11:14 am    

It is important to remember that in a live room, there is a natural reverb and delay because of the sound bouncing off of the walls, tables, chairs, people, and other things in the room. If a sound is completely dry in a studio setting, it can sound odd (though there are situations where this is necessary and preferred). What Mike described in the video, setting delay to ~300ms, gives the sound some presence in the mix, and mimics the sound of a live room. Keeping the mix level low, 10-12%, and moderate repeats, 6-8, really fattens up the tone.

Bobby Boggs

Upstate SC.
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2018 5:46 pm    

Quote:
Buddy did sparingly use an Echoplex (Witch's Brew?)

In the mid 70's. For live performances that I witnessed. Buddy used an Echoplex set to have a very short delay and fast repeat. This was to fatten his sound. He later moved to the DD-2. Then on up the food chain as better gear became available. I always liked that effect and still use it today.

b.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2018 7:28 am    

I use a slight delay, it's called a "slap back" delay.
And I also use a DD-2. Very Happy
Erv

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2018 1:14 am    

Just don't lose sight that recorded sounds are not the same as live sounds. +/- 300 MS delay at near 10 or 15 % mix with a single slap is a nice live sound but can be overdone easily.

Regarding reverbs, we may find that longer reverbs are found on recordings over live settings, especially with a stereo blend. While we would probably never use a longer reverb LIVE.

When we use a reverb or a delay, the purpose is to enhance our style, execution, call it whatever. We just don't turn em on and hope for the best. Especially because someone else uses those settings.

When we watched Buddy messing with the delay, he knew it wasn't quite right for what he wanted to hear. It may have even been interfering with his execution or maybe not offering enough. Effects are part of our performance, execution etc..

We can listen to two players playing the exact same song, same amp, same reverb , same delay. One of them we may say, too much delay or reverb, the other we may say, man that sounds incredible. We incorporate them into our style and execution.

we just don't turn them on...or maybe we do !

Laughing

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Mike Johnson

Nashville, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2018 8:48 am    

Larry, thx for the nice words. In the studio, I never send reverb to tape. I would much rather they apply some in the mix. It’s hard to know how much to add until all the instruments and vocals are in their place on the recording. It just seems to work better for them and me.
Live, I do put some reverb on my LTD. It definitely effects the way you play. Also when I use the LTD on Country”s Family Reunion, I have a little bit on my amp but they add some to the mix also. Seems to work ok.

THX

John Lacey

Black Diamond, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2018 9:30 am    

When Buddy played our show in Edmonton in ‘82, he brought a large road case full of MXR effects, digital delays, digital reverbs, pitch transposers then on the lid of the box were an array of foot pedals. He went into a Session 500 and a 400 that we provided and his sound was huge. Thrill of a lifetime.

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2018 9:32 am    

Mike - In the video referenced above, you mentioned 300ms of delay. Was that mixed with reverb? Do you normally use just reverb, just delay, a combination of the two?

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2018 10:05 am    

I hardly notice the delay effect in my GT10 until it is set to about 40%, no matter the delay time. Around 80ms is a good “fatten up” time. 140 or so for slap back, 320+ with multiples for drama.

John Sluszny

Brussels, Belgium
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2018 10:55 am    

Quote:
Larry, thx for the nice words. In the studio, I never send reverb to tape. I would much rather they apply some in the mix. It’s hard to know how much to add until all the instruments and vocals are in their place on the recording. It just seems to work better for them and me.
Live, I do put some reverb on my LTD. It definitely effects the way you play. Also when I use the LTD on Country”s Family Reunion, I have a little bit on my amp but they add some to the mix also. Seems to work ok.

THX

Mike,thanks for the information but what is a LTD ?
Confused

John Sluszny

Brussels, Belgium
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2018 11:05 am    

OK,got it ! Peavey LTD