The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Question about the D'Addario NYXL strings
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2018 6:06 am    

I doubt that anyone at D'Addario knows the resistor color code. But that's a good idea, especially for those of us that know the color code.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2018 7:53 am    

Tom Spaulding wrote:
Quote:
Why can't D'Addario offer 12 string E9 Extended sets? And would that be cheaper than having to buy singles for the 11th and 12th strings? I paid close to $28 for one set after adding almost $8 for the 2 extra strings and shipping.

Hi Richard-

Unfortunately, we don't run across many music stores that will even stock both the ProSteel and NYXL sets. They simply do not have the wall space for what they consider a specialized item as pedal steel guitar strings. That was the reason I asked D'Addario to send me to Dallas - to spread the word and hand out sample sets to those interested in trying them. Judging by the conversations I had, some players had never heard about NYXLs, particularly the European attendees.

Most stores will stock a majority of the D'Addario, Ernie Ball, Dean Markley, GHS, Elixir, DR, etc. six-string sets, but I've never seen every brand's pedal steel sets represented in one brick-and-mortar store. It's typically us, GHS or Ernie Ball. A store that stocks them all may exist, but not in my experience. This has created a great opportunity for online retailers like b0b to fill that gap.

We are considering ways to offer more niche sets like a U-12 set (and lap steel sets) in a cost-effective manner, and my guess is that it would likely be as a Private Label version.

I'll certainly pass along the contents and suggestions from this thread to the NY guys, we appreciate all of the feedback.

Tom...

I agree about stores not having the wall space. But I don't thinks that's a valid point. I don't know any music stores in the SF Bay Area, or here in the central valley, that stock any brand of steel guitar strings. I realize that I could just buy singles and make my own set.

Do you have any data on how many steel guitar sets, both Prosteels and NYXL's, are bought from brick and mortar stores as opposed to online?

There is a large number of players that do play ext E9, maybe even more than U12. Although, I don't have the data to support that.

I'm really not trying to bitch about this. This is really just a wish. I don'really mind the packaging, and it' great for the environment. Kudos to D'Addario. I will probably buy them again.

Kevin Mincke

Farmington, MN (Twin Cities-South Metro) USA
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2018 9:19 am    

I wanted to try out the NYXL nickel strings (albeit more expensive than my normal GHS PF 500 nickel I use) so, knowing the NYXL C6th came with an extra string depending on wether you use standard tuning or use the high (D) on top, I found the strings sealed all in one package, coiled in two’s and the (70) 10th string individually coiled. I strung up the neck and low & behold thought I had moved all strings down one key. BUMMER!
In reality, the package had (3) red coded strings and (2) green which according to the packaging should have (3) green and (2) red. 😞
Guess I just happened to get a set put together on a Monday🤷‍♂️

Tom Spaulding

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2018 5:59 am    

Kevin- PM sent.

Kevin Mincke

Farmington, MN (Twin Cities-South Metro) USA
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2018 10:34 am    

Tom Spaulding thank you for reaching out to me concerning my NYXL strings & thanks for great customer service as “artist relations” rep, Nashville!
Anxious to try them out live.

Bill Miller

Gaspe, Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2018 5:33 pm    

Okay, well I`m the OP and I have finally gotten around to trying these strings. Just put them on yesterday so I can`t offer an opinion on longevity but so far they impress me a lot. I had to re-tune my pedals and knee levers but after everything was well set up they sound better than anything else I`ve ever tried for sure. Crisp and perfect intonation and the harmonics are so clear and musical. I still don`t like the packaging. No question that the vacuum sealed plastic bag insures no corrosion when you open them but individual envelopes can be vacuum sealed too..as per the GHS singles. That being said I`m not sure there can be any turning back after using these. They are a superior product.

Tom Spaulding

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2018 6:22 pm    

We have teams of engineers that maintain and modify our huge array of vintage and modern outsourced machines and design/build our proprietary machines.

Pretty sure they know the resistor color code! Very Happy

Here's a brief factory tour: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlVaT6tjSPQ

Jack Stoner wrote:
I doubt that anyone at D'Addario knows the resistor color code. But that's a good idea, especially for those of us that know the color code.

Steve Sycamore

Sweden
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2018 11:25 pm    

Wouldn't it be less expensive to print stickers to attach to the strings than manufacturing and stocking differently colored ball ends?

One of the most important up and coming aspects of business in the world right now is designing products and services to maximize value and quality of user experience. I may love the quality of the metal and sound of the NYXL's, but the color coding scheme is in my opinion a rather major deterioration of usability when installing a set and it looks very toyish and unprofessional on the guitar.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2018 2:11 am    

The first set I put on took actually "hours" to install, especially the confusing C6th set with the extra string and an E9th "black" ball end that had too much paint(?) and would not fit on the changer finger pin till I reamed it out. The second set I laid out each string in order beforehand. That made it easier and faster.

On a 6 string guitar its no big deal (I put them on my Gretsch), but it is with a D-10 steel.

Dave Campbell

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2018 2:22 am    

great strings.

i'm more than willing to use the colour code to save 90% less packaging.

bonus: when you get individually wrapped strings and then take 'em out of the package, who the heck knows what gauge it is anymore. with the ball end as i.d. i can figure it out.

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2018 7:35 am    

Steve Sycamore wrote:
Wouldn't it be less expensive to print stickers to attach to the strings than manufacturing and stocking differently colored ball ends?

I don't think so. Besides, sticker glue is a contaminate in the recycling process.

See the sustainability part of the D'Addario video: https://youtu.be/OlVaT6tjSPQ?t=2m36s

Steve Sycamore

Sweden
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2018 12:48 am    

Printing on paper is a very inexpensive and simple operation these days. Creating, handling and sorting odd shaped metal parts is not. Do we all realize how much extra electrical energy is spent on the color coded ball ends?

If we are to become ultra enthusiasts for sustainability shouldn't we first employ some science and good thinking? For example, tiny paper labels can be attached to individual strings using slits and folds in the paper rather than glue.

But really, why not be most concerned with the plastic? Even if we, as consumers, do as much as we possibly can to supply it to potential recyclers, it very rarely ever gets recycled. The heartbreaking reality is that China, which once did that for us, is no longer receiving recyclable plastics. So plastics are now burned, creating an environmental problem in doing so.

Tom Spaulding

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2018 7:45 am    

D'Addario PlayBack Recycling Program

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2018 9:12 pm    

I just put on a set of NYXL’s for the first time. I like the color coding. I like saving on packaging. I can’t remember not recycling strings.

I did have a problem with tuning the A pedal on string 10. I mean it was WAY out. I had to crank it about 4 turns from where it was on the old set of SIT’s.

They sound really good.

Bill Miller

Gaspe, Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2018 5:53 am    

I've had the NYXL strings on for a month now and I'm a definite convert. We've had a lot of very humid weather and where I would normally have had to be re-tuning often these strings have been remarkably stable. An occasional small tweak to the open strings and I haven't touched the tuning nuts yet. Also they haven't lost their sparkle at all even though I've been playing them for at least an hour most days. These strings are not hype, they're the real deal.

Tom Spaulding

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2018 6:16 am    

Paul Franklin did a short video on the NYXLs: https://youtu.be/u7NAGOS9dtw

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2018 2:30 am    

I had previously mentioned I was a "convert" to the NYXL's. I now have to say I'm a "convert" back to the George L's. I don't know what it was exactly about the sound, but I just didn't like the sound of the strings (and the color coding).

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2018 9:13 am    

I have had these strings on my Stage One for a little over a month now, playing at least an hour a day plus a few outdoor gigs. They don’t stay in tune or sustain any better than SITs did. They seem to have more beef, almost like they are a heavier gauge.

Jury still out on performance vs cost. I am easily influenced by the word of the pros here on the forum over my rookie opinion, so I will probably give NYXLs another shot.

Update edit on this post: String 3 broke today, August 27. So, I got almost 6 weeks out of it.

Paul Pearson

Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2018 2:17 pm    

I just put a set on order 3 sets but had to order extra 22s I've been using sti and the gauges are right I will give them a few weeks before I say yes or no

Don Kuhn

Poetry/Terrell ,Texas, USA
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2018 7:43 pm    

Eom you gave me a set @ the Dallas show and I finally put them on in May they sounded really bright and crisp at forst but they toned down a lot. I'm givrn you 2 thmbs up on them and will buy some more and I really like they way stay stay in tune yeah sometimes they may be a couple of cents off but it's a hell of a lot better than some of the other brands I've tried. My baby is kept upstairs and the A/c is usually riding on about 79 degrees so it does go out of tune just a little not much though Carted D10.