The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Excel 12 String - Allen Tube Amp - Electric Mando - Swing
Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2018 12:15 pm    

Had a couple of really excellent musicians at my house and showed them the mighty mini Excel with the lever to flip between E9th and C6 tunings. They were impressed with this axe and I still am. The case for it's not much bigger than a large mandolin or fiddle case. I did indeed just flip the lever on this song to go between tunings with no touch up of the open tuning or pedals. Also used my Allen Encore amp, Peavey Generations tele and a home brew electric mandolin.

Hear Texas Swing

Rhythm track is located here:

http://www.gregcutshaw.com/Tab/Tab24.html

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Steve Mueller

Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2018 5:58 pm    

Greg,
Tell me about your Excel. 12 string I assume. How does the lever work? Copedent?

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2018 3:54 am    

Steve, most of the details are covered here:

http://www.gregcutshaw.com/Excel%2012%20String%20Keyless/Excel%2012%20String%20Keyless.html

The lock lever swaps knee levers RKR and RKL between necks and modifies the open tuning for all 12 strings between open E9th and open C6.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2018 2:19 pm    

Cool stuff.

Glenn Demichele

(20mi N of) Chicago Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2018 6:55 pm    

Like!!

Steve Mueller

Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2018 9:07 pm    

Greg, I didn't think it was possible to incorporate both the E9 and C6 12 string tunings on one guitar! Now you've got me thinking! Was this guitar a lot more expensive than a typical D10 or D12? Can you just change the lever over back and forth from song to song?

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2018 4:11 am    

I bought mine used for about $4400. Yes you can just flip the lever between songs. I added three of my own knee levers to the C6 side using a combination of Excel and locally machined parts. I use all 12 strings of C6 and find it a plus to a have the original high G string and two chromatic strings, including the D, on top of the tuning. On E9th I use the low E string a fair amount and now have the low B tuned to A# to get a boo-wah type effect on E9th (think pedal A activated, 6th fret, strings 5,6,9, 12)

The space underneath the guitar is very limited. I spent quite a few hours micro-aligning all the cranks and rods to eliminate parts rubbing together. The guitar is pre-drilled for most knee levers but the trade-off is that it has fewer adjustments than most guitars. After Tri-Flowing, the guitar works super smooth and has very positive stops on all pedals and levers.

Steve Mueller

Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2018 8:52 pm    

That's great Greg. I like the 12 string C6th tuning too. I also have a G for string 3, with D on #2 and F# on #1. I recently talked to local steel legend Chuck Rich about his C6 tuning. It's a 10 string tuning with the low C eliminated, G on string #2 and D on #1, a nice idea.

Steve Mueller

Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2018 8:54 am    

Greg, how's the cabinet drop/raise on the Excel? I know it's minimal on a Williams, mine are 2 cents or so on E9 pedals 1 and 2 depressed. It makes tuning so much easier for all positions.

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2018 9:31 am    

Quote:

"A traditional model has one attachment point to connect the pedal stop and the knee lever stop, but the latest model has been structured with two attachment points for the pedal stop and the knee lever stop. Refer to the second picture below for a close-up of these attachment points.
This newest model has been redesigned to prevent cabinet drop from occurring in the first place.
This model stays in tune like never before."

from here:

http://fuzzypsg.com/int/

That page also now has a description specific to the E9/C6 change guitar like I have.

I just changed the strings on this guitar to D'addario NYXL's. Pretty simple process and all handled from the top of the guitar. The .070 string was a tight fit on the changer post!

Daniel McKee

Corinth Mississippi
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2018 4:24 pm    

You get really great tone out of the Excel. Those are some really unique instruments.

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2018 6:02 pm    

The Peavey Generations tele is one of my most favorite guitars next to the Nashville tele. It has the piezo pickups + regular ones. I sold this same model guitar and spent the last 5 years trying to buy one back. Google found me one in a small music store in OH for a great price and it has a really straight neck on it:

http://www.gregcutshaw.com/Peavey%20Guitar/Peavey%20Guitar.html

It also matched my burnt orange colored steels!