The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Recommendations for Learning E9
Dennis Montgomery

Western Washington
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2018 3:47 pm    

Hi all, after a few years of playing an 8 string Fender 400, I've taken the plunge and just bought a 3 pedal/5 knee/10 string MCI. I've been a musician nearly my whole life and have a good understanding of music theory, but when it comes to E9 pedal steel I don't understand why it does what it does, but I know I want to learn how it works so I can do it too Winking

I'm looking for recommendations on the best learning materials that would be compatible with an Emmons E9 setup. I know there are dozens of youtube vids, but I learn best with hardcopy books/charts/tab. I've checked out some of the LessonsWithTroy.com for E9 materials. They seem to be a good combination of video and printed tab/charts/etc, but wanted to hear from some experienced players before I decided to go that direction.

Thanks!

Hear my album, "Armistice" featuring Fender 400 on every song:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLfXm8aXRTFz2Pz_GXhvmjne7lPEtsplyW

Hear my Pedal Steel Only playlist featuring Mullen G2 SD12 on covers like Candyman, Wild Horses, Across the Universe & more...
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLfXm8aXRTFz2f0JOyiXpZyzNrvnJObliA

Jeff Porter

Stumptown, OR, USA
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2018 4:31 pm    

If you're in western Washington you're in luck.
Talk to this guy.
http://www.steelguitarlessons.com/
Member here on the forum, great teacher, all around good dude.

Kevin Fix

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2018 5:05 pm     E9th

My advice is to, "Don't Quit". Pedal Steel Guitar is a perfectly, in time, machine, almost like a crankshaft timed with it's camshaft or camshafts. I f you know music theory, it's apiece of cake. I am currently teaching a well seasoned piano player. He is picking up quickly because of music theory. The best way to explain it is that no matter which fret you are on the pedals and knee levers are related to the fret you are on. The fret is your root and the pedals and knee levers all build off of that root of the fret. I am a retired truck mechanic so comparing a pedal steel guitar and music theory is simple. It's a well, in time, machine. Hope this helps.

Bob Bestor

Ashland, OR
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2018 6:09 pm    

I second the John McClung recommendation. Great teacher, nice guy.

Jeffrey McFadden

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2018 6:21 pm    

How about a reply from another beginner? If you're a book person there is one which has been recommended to me above all others: "Winnie Winston's book."

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/082560169X/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1522462725&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=winnie+winston+pedal+steel+guitar&dpPl=1&dpID=51-5PxCvvRL&ref=plSrch

I had to learn to fly the basic instrument before I could comprehend the book. I have a learning disability. Here is what I wish I knew the first day: (1) you can play a major scale across any fret without moving the bar. Starting at string 8: 8,7,6,step on B pedal, 6 again, 5, step on A pedal, 5 again, then either string 2, or the lever that lowers your Es a half step & pick string 4, then pick 4 open.
(2) 1 chord at any fret open. 4 chord at same fret w/A&B pedals. 5 chord 2 frets up, A&B pedals. Whatever open pedals fret you're at, relative (6) minor is A pedal only, some choice of strings 3,4,5,6. With that you can play a thousand songs, build on that, get Winnie's book. In 37 years I'll be competent with PSG. And 107.

Ken Boi

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2018 6:46 am     Re: Recommendations for Learning E9

Dennis Montgomery wrote:
H I've checked out some of the LessonsWithTroy.com for E9 materials. They seem to be a good combination of video and printed tab/charts/etc, but wanted to hear from some experienced players before I decided to go that direction.

Thanks!

Hi Dennis.

I still consider myself a newbie with this instrument. I prefer a 'video' medium for teaching with hardcopy supplements. I transfer the videos to my iPad and it is very convenient for viewing. One of my first purchases was the 'E9 Lessons With Troy' that you mentioned. I bought videos 1-6 right off. I do recommend his videos. His videos do not teach how to setup the PSG type stuff. Rather he gets into chord shapes and playing right away. Troy is an accomplished steel guitar player and is learning the PSG, so he is very attuned to new learner attitude. His provided PDF files for tabs and chord charts are very well done, and the videos are well done using multiple views.

Right now Troy has a 50% sale so the price is very good. I just bought a couple more chapters that I did not own. (Note that I am not affiliated with Troys business and have no interest other than feeling he has something really good to offer the beginner player.)

Lots of good stuff out there. I have the Winnie Winston book/CD. A great book I cannot argue, but I wanted something to draw me in more slowly, and that's where Troy's videos really did very well for me.

After getting comfortable, I started with the Jeff Newman courses. First bought 'Pedal Steel Guitar Techniques 101 Course' that includes Right-Hand-Alpha (picking) techniques. In the techniques videos he covers some popular scale runs and applies them to a song. This chapter really opened up my playing interest and enjoyment playing the instrument. I have since moved into the his 'Up From The Top A&B Pedals' course. I'm a big fan of Mr. Newman from his teaching videos.

Good luck!

...Ken

Clark Doughty

KANSAS
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2018 8:07 am     Lessons

John McClung is the best there is. He has a system and he knows how to TEACH. Can't go wrong with him.............clark

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2018 11:25 am    

This is the order of importance for what I have learned in my first year:

1. Blocking.
2. Everything Else.
3. More Blocking.

Seriously, coordinating the levers and pedals for scales, chords and simple tunes was relatively easy compared to pick hand blocking, especially when it comes to playing single notes. I think a teacher is necessary to really get it right. All the other stuff can be learned in books and videos (the ones I have used have already been mentioned) and healthy doses of noodling around with music you already know.

Chris Reesor

British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2018 11:46 am    

Got to agree with Fred here, from the perspective of a long time pedal steel hacker. The picking hand rules. That's your tone production.
Ear training is extra important too, if you wish to play in tune. Very Happy
All the other stuff is relatively easier, except the volume pedal, which may well take a long time to master.

Franklin

Post  Posted 31 Mar 2018 12:24 pm    

Hi Dennis,

Great to hear you are now one of us 10 stringers. My first pedal steel was also a Fender 400. The 10 string switch will provide a lifetime of musical satisfaction...

Since you asked....I would like to invite you to check out what Modern Music Masters is doing with my instruction. Go to Modern Music Masters and take the free test drive.. There is also a free blog that anyone can visit to pick up tips whether you join the course, or not. Students also have a Facebook Page/Lounge where they can question me and each other daily...Its real cool to watch everyone share their progress in video clips We now have 115 videos and downloadable PDF's for tabs and theory that you can access 24/7 on your lap top, phone, tablet, basically anything with wifi. ...This college styled course is aimed at all levels and it travels with you. I am hearing from students who love being able to study anywhere...

Paul Franklin

Last edited by Franklin on 31 Mar 2018 12:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2018 12:31 pm    

And then there is the best advice....

Jeffrey McFadden

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2018 1:19 pm    

Franklin wrote:
Hi Dennis,

Great to hear you are now one of us 10 stringers. My first pedal steel was also a Fender 400. The 10 string switch will provide a lifetime of musical satisfaction...

Since you asked....I would like to invite you to check out what Modern Music Masters is doing with my instruction. Go to Modern Music Masters and take the free test drive.. There is also a free blog that anyone can visit to pick up tips whether you join the course, or not. Students also have a Facebook Page/Lounge where they can question me and each other daily...Its real cool to watch everyone share their progress in video clips We now have 115 videos and downloadable PDF's for tabs and theory that you can access 24/7 on your lap top, phone, tablet, basically anything with wifi. ...This college styled course is aimed at all levels and it travels with you. I am hearing from students who love being able to study anywhere...

Paul Franklin

Paul Franklin sent me this link a little while back, thought this would be a good moment to pass it on. https://youtu.be/zFWkdQe0SuE

Dennis Montgomery

Western Washington
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2018 7:37 am    

A big THANKS to everyone who's replied in this thread, you've given me a lot of great ideas and options Winking

1) While I never considered taking actual lessons, it's fantastic to discover that John McClung is only about a 30 minute drive from my home! Also, that the Paul Franklin Modern Music Masters course or LessonsWithTroy are great resources just a click away.

2) Fingerpicks & Blocking. I know from my Fender 400 experience that this will be my biggest challenge without question. It will require a lot of "stick-to-it" to get there, but I'm ready for the challenge Wink

3) And to Jeffrey McFadden: I'm definitely glad you let me hear from "another beginner"! Your list of things you wish you knew the first day will be the first thing I play when my MCI arrives Smile

4) I also heard directly from a guy named Tucker Jackson who kindly sent me some great learning materials to get started.

I tried to learn 10 string E9 a couple times many years ago and never got very far. But that was in the pre-internet days where all I had was a Dewitt Scott book and nobody to bounce ideas off of or ask for help. I feel like I have a ton more resources now.

I've always had this idea that locked inside the 10 string E9 is the ability to take almost any song and rearrange the melody and backing chords for solo pedal steel, if I could only fully understand the tuning. I'm really excited to begin that journey!

Hear my Pedal Steel Only playlist featuring Mullen G2 SD12 on covers like Candyman, Wild Horses, Across the Universe & more...

Jeffrey McFadden

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2018 7:51 am    

Dennis Montgomery wrote:
A big THANKS to everyone who's replied in this thread, you've given me a lot of great ideas and options Winking

1) While I never considered taking actual lessons, it's fantastic to discover that John McClung is only about a 30 minute drive from my home! Also, that the Paul Franklin Modern Music Masters course or LessonsWithTroy are great resources just a click away.

2) Fingerpicks & Blocking. I know from my Fender 400 experience that this will be my biggest challenge without question. It will require a lot of "stick-to-it" to get there, but I'm ready for the challenge Wink

3) And to Jeffrey McFadden: I'm definitely glad you let me hear from "another beginner"! Your list of things you wish you knew the first day will be the first thing I play when my MCI arrives Smile

4) I also heard directly from a guy named Tucker Jackson who kindly sent me some great learning materials to get started.

I tried to learn 10 string E9 a couple times many years ago and never got very far. But that was in the pre-internet days where all I had was a Dewitt Scott book and nobody to bounce ideas off of or ask for help. I feel like I have a ton more resources now.

I've always had this idea that locked inside the 10 string E9 is the ability to take almost any song and rearrange the melody and backing chords for solo pedal steel, if I could only fully understand the tuning. I'm really excited to begin that journey!

Tucker Jackson and others also - Paul Franklin, Dan Robinson, Fred Treece, to any others I apologize for my foggy memory - directly sent me valuable learning tools and made my journey easier. Let me add my thanks to all of you.

Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2018 5:44 am    

'Give a Shout if you are ever in Portland, OR.
Glad to give a free face to face lesson.

Dennis Montgomery

Western Washington
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2018 7:12 am    

Pete Burak wrote:
'Give a Shout if you are ever in Portland, OR.
Glad to give a free face to face lesson.

Will do! Thanks for the offer Smile

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2018 7:24 am    

As mentioned above, the Keith/Winston book is the "bible" many of us started with.

CLICK HERE

There are only two options as I see it.
Either I'm right, or there is a sinister conspiracy to conceal the fact that I'm right.

Williams Keyless S-10, BMI S-10, Evans FET-500LV, Fender Steel King, 2 Roland Cube 80XL's,
Sarno FreeLoader, Goodrich Passive Volume Pedals, Vintage ACE Pack-A-Seat

Marvin Raff

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2018 3:53 am    

Jeffrey McFadden wrote:
How about a reply from another beginner? If you're a book person there is one which has been recommended to me above all others: "Winnie Winston's book."

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/082560169X/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1522462725&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=winnie+winston+pedal+steel+guitar&dpPl=1&dpID=51-5PxCvvRL&ref=plSrch

I had to learn to fly the basic instrument before I could comprehend the book. I have a learning disability. Here is what I wish I knew the first day: (1) you can play a major scale across any fret without moving the bar. Starting at string 8: 8,7,6,step on B pedal, 6 again, 5, step on A pedal, 5 again, then either string 2, or the lever that lowers your Es a half step & pick string 4, then pick 4 open.
(2) 1 chord at any fret open. 4 chord at same fret w/A&B pedals. 5 chord 2 frets up, A&B pedals. Whatever open pedals fret you're at, relative (6) minor is A pedal only, some choice of strings 3,4,5,6. With that you can play a thousand songs, build on that, get Winnie's book. In 37 years I'll be competent with PSG. And 107.

I too have a learning disability. Thank you for saying what I want to learn in a way that I can immediately process.

I usually have to take "standard" instructions and transpose them in a way that I can understand and use. Sometimes I can do it and other times, not.

Marv