The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  1955-'56 Fender 'White Studio ' **No Interest; Pls. Close**
Mark Helm

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2018 10:54 pm    

JI have an all original, intact Fender Studio Deluxe "White" Consolette Lap Steel named for famed Fender production manager Forrest White. This is a pretty rare guitar as it was only in production for two years, beginning in 1955 and ending in 1957 (it's especially hard to find one that's not missing any parts).

Steel w/ legs, case. PRICE DROP: DOWN from $1,100 to $799 + shipping. I've never seen one intact for less (and there's one on Reverb for $200 more w/out any legs, so there's that). Just plugged her up on Friday and she sounded great--even through a solid state amp!

There's an interesting story here. Apparently, Leo came up with the idea to honor White without even telling him.

Thanks to Brad Davis for this charming story from White's autobiography, p. 89

In early 1955, I was in the woodshop in Building #3, and an employee from the stockroom came in and asked me what I wanted him to do with the "White" nameplates that just came in. I said, "If they are white, send them back because our nameplates are brown and chrome."

He said, "No, you don't understand; they are 'White.'"

And I guess I must have looked at him a little strange when I replied, "Look! I just told you if they are white to send them back."

Then he said, "Here, look at what I'm talking about." The name on the nameplate was White.

That was when and how I found out that Leo had used my name for the new line of "studio" guitars and amplifiers intended for music studios (not regular dealers), where students were taught to play instruments. The tube charts to be placed inside the amplifier cabinets said "White Instrument Co., Fullerton, California." Leo had not said anything to me about naming the line after me. I had been purchasing all of our manufacturing parts and material for a long time. Leo had ordered the name-plates and labels and must have told the supplier not to tell me because it was a surprise.

The guitar is in really nice shape; a few small nicks and chips here and there, but nothing to mar the overall beautiful of this fantastic little guitar! More pics to follow and more upon request...

Remington Steelmaster S8 w/ custom Steeltronics pickup. Vox MV-50 amplifier + an 1940's Oahu cab w/ 8" American Vintage speaker. J. Mascis Fender Squire Jazzmaster, Hofner Club bass, Ibanez AVN4-VMS Artwood Vintage Series Concert Size Acoustic Guitar. 1920s/30s Supertone Hawaiian-themed parlor guitar. Silvertone parlor guitar.

Last edited by Mark Helm on 7 Apr 2018 12:01 am; edited 7 times in total

Mark Helm

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2018 8:08 pm     $$$price Droip$$$

TTT for a significant bite out of the price. Originally listed at $ 1,100 and is now down to $849 + shipping.
Remington Steelmaster S8 w/ custom Steeltronics pickup. Vox MV-50 amplifier + an 1940's Oahu cab w/ 8" American Vintage speaker. J. Mascis Fender Squire Jazzmaster, Hofner Club bass, Ibanez AVN4-VMS Artwood Vintage Series Concert Size Acoustic Guitar. 1920s/30s Supertone Hawaiian-themed parlor guitar. Silvertone parlor guitar.

Mark Helm

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2018 9:11 pm     Ttt

Sweet little guitar, price dropped twice. Only one on line and it's $999 and doesn't have the legs!

Mark Helm

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2018 6:50 pm     Ttt

LAST Price DROP! Thanks for looking Very Happy