The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  YouTube Slow Downer
Drew Pierce

Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2018 11:43 am    

A quick search didn't reveal whether this has been discussed before, but I just learned that YouTube now has a feature that lets you slow down any video without changing the pitch. Simply click the "settings" icon (the little gear) in the lower right corner and select the speed change you want from slower to faster. Pretty cool feature for learning licks. Here's a good one for an example.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55W8kMDm6_w

Drew Pierce

Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2018 10:36 am    

What? Everybody knew about this feature but me?

I knew there were computer programs and gadgets like Guitar Trainer that can do this with a CD, but being able to slow down any song on YouTube is pretty cool for somebody who used to stack quarters on the arm of a turntable to slow records down enough to catch the licks.

Bill Sinclair

Waynesboro, PA, USA
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2018 12:01 pm    

Drew Pierce wrote:
What? Everybody knew about this feature but me?

I don't think it's always been there but I don't know when they added it. I didn't discover it till fairly recently myself. Never tried the quarters on the tonearm trick. My turntable (Garrard, maybe?) went to 16!

Ken Boi

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2018 4:05 am    

Hi Drew. This is a good tip for sharing. I did know about it because I was watching some young guy juggling Rubic’s Cubes and solving all three cubes as he juggled. My first thought was ‘BS’. Used the slow downer and had to eat my words. But I have used it for the purposes you proposed and it is very useful. I hope others do take advantage of your suggestion.

I also use ‘Anytune Pro’ on my iPad that loads a song (e.g., .mp3) and allows various manipulations (e.g. speed, pitch, phrase start/end). All great stuff to have in one’s arsenal of learning tools. Too bad these things weren’t around some years back.

John Sluszny

Brussels, Belgium
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2018 9:47 am    

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy