The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  What is this?
Kevin Glandon

New York, USA
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2018 3:57 pm    

Is this real? I'm not a pedal player. I'm up on non-pedal steels, but not this.

Ben Elder

La Crescenta, California, USA
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2018 4:03 pm    

It's real, but it's not a Fender.

Kevin Glandon

New York, USA
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2018 4:14 pm    

Anyone know what this is?

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2018 4:31 pm    

I'm not familiar enough to be sure but it looks like a Cougar Little Buddy from Freeman Cowgar.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2018 7:25 am    

That's an old Fender amp nameplate. This is the nameplate that should be on it:

Kevin Glandon

New York, USA
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2018 8:44 am     Great input. Thanks

Now I understand what this is. I’m looking to move into pedal steel. I’m decent at non-pedal but am curious about pedal. This guitar you see here is on Craig’s list for $350 asking price. Input please.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2018 4:47 pm    

I don't know how good it works, or if it works at all. That said, $350 is a pretty decent price for what's there, and it's enough to at least get you started learning the basics. I don't think you'll find anything cheaper for a long time, so take that for what it's worth.

Since it's listed by a private party on CL, they might even take $300-$325 cash Exclamation

Brian Brgant

Vermont, USA
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2018 9:46 pm    

Donny Hinson wrote:
I don't know how good it works, or if it works at all. That said, $350 is a pretty decent price for what's there, and it's enough to at least get you started learning the basics. I don't think you'll find anything cheaper for a long time, so take that for what it's worth.

Since it's listed by a private party on CL, they might even take $300-$325 cash Exclamation

I disagree with this, unless you can find out how "playable" it is. The mechanics of a poorly engineered pedal can be really discouraging and suck the fun right out of learning PSG! If you spend all your time trying to keep it tuned and adjusting things to try and make it "work", you are just going to get frustrated, and in the end, it is a waste of money, however cheap it is. If you have an experienced PSG friend that can check it out, it's a maybe. There is a reason you don't see these around much. Just my two cents.

Jim Horan

California, USA
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2018 11:05 am     What is this.

This steel is known as a " Built Rite ". It came as a kit that you had to assemble. They had a maple body, most of them had a natural finish. The under side parts and pickup were like the Sho-Bud Maverick. Built by Freeman Cowgar in East Michigan. He also made some lap steels and a better grade pedal steel. Some of Freeman's pictures were in the old Sho-bud books, so he likely hung out with the Jacksons or Buddie

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2018 6:10 am    

Brian Brgant wrote:
...The mechanics of a poorly engineered pedal can be really discouraging and suck the fun right out of learning PSG! If you spend all your time trying to keep it tuned and adjusting things to try and make it "work", you are just going to get frustrated, and in the end, it is a waste of money, however cheap it is.

I'm of the opinion that if you tend to get frustrated easily, the pedal steel is probably not the instrument for you. With a little aptitude and work, most any steel can be made "playable". Those players that don't have any mechanical aptitude will likely screw up even the best guitar...eventually...by fixing, adjusting, and tuning it. Oh Well