The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Why are old MSAs worth less?
Mike Beley

Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2018 9:24 am    

Can some of you guys post some clips of what you think defines the "MSA sound".

Thanks
Mike

Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2018 9:45 am    

Several posts back, I linked to a Youtube video of me playing my old '75 Classic D10. I sound the same as I do on my newer MSA's, and probably also on my Emmons P/P's. I think there is a video on Youtube of me playing my red '73 Emmons P/P also. It's not the guitar, it's me that determines my sound.
MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, as well as some older MSAs, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Recently added a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored blue Rose, named the "Blue Bird" to the herd. Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic again that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also added a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks.

Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2018 9:56 am    

To prove a point, several years ago Bob Benedetto built an archtop guitar from run of the mill construction grade pine, purchased at the local lumber yard. Here's a quote from "Making An Archtop Guitar" by Bob Benedetto;

"Guitar serial number 29293, made from inferior tonewoods: two piece top carved from flatsawn construction grade 2" x 10" pine. Back carved from two piece flatsawn, unmatched maple, riddled with small knots, weather checking and discoloration. Sides and neck are plain maple. Despite the obvious, this guitar plays and sounds as good as any made from expensive tonewoods."

It's not necessarily the instrument that determines one's sound.
MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, as well as some older MSAs, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Recently added a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored blue Rose, named the "Blue Bird" to the herd. Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic again that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also added a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks.

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2018 11:28 am    

Darvin, my experience was not the same as yours. My former white mica classic, which was just like yours, had an inherently bright, trebly sound. The green classic shown in my avatar had a much warmer and deeper and darker sound, like that of Curly Chalker on his Counterpoint album.

At one time I had my first Millennium and both classics in the same room and compared them both amplified and unplugged. They all sounded different.

The Millies are not as rich and warm as the green classic, but the individual notes are cleaner and clearer. I'd almost describe them as having a military precision.

But, as somebody said before me; "It's all good."