The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Nash 112 problem
Joseph Napolitano

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2018 6:26 pm    

I have an intermittent problem with a 5 1/2 y/o Peavey Nash112 . It loses most of its power, and what little sound that does come out is very distorted . When this happens, if I plug headphones into headphone jack , they sound fine. Additionally , if I plug/unplug a quarter inch jack in and out of the headphone jack a number of times, the amp eventually works normally again. Any ideas ?

Georg Sørtun

Mandal, Agder, Norway
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2018 6:59 pm    

Most likely the switch-connector inside the jack socket is dirty and/or needs a little bending in order to ensure reliable contact when no jack is inserted.

General illustration … see switch-connector on top in open position…

As jack sockets vary in design, not all are accessible for cleaning/adjusting. Sometimes a little contact spray may do the trick, and sometimes the socket has to be replaced.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2018 2:26 am    

Along with the headphone jack, there are three others that have frequently caused no signal or low signal. The Pre EQ return jack, the Post EQ return jack and Power Amp in jack.

Plugging a "jumper" guitar cord between the out and in on the pre or post EQ patches or between the Preamp Out and Power Amp in will tell which one is causing the problem.

This isn't limited to Peavey, any amp with, for example, an effects loop patch can develop the dirty "normal through" jack contact problem.

Joseph Napolitano

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2018 3:14 am    

Thanks Georg and Jack. I plugged a "jumper cable " into the in/out of pre, and then post eq patch , and there was no improvement. Does this indicate that the problem is with the main, or headphone, input jack ? Thanks for your patience. I know nothing about electronics.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2018 4:06 am    

How about the Preamp Out/Power Amp in. Did you try a cord there?

I'm not sure how the headphone jack is wired. Does it cut out the speaker when you plug in a headphone? If it does then the jack has the "normal through" contact like Georg shows (although I'm pretty sure its a different style jack).

Georg Sørtun

Mandal, Agder, Norway
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2018 5:09 am    

The jack sockets at the back on my NV112s, are the plastic-house PCB through-hole soldered type. They tend to attract dust/dirt and corrode over time, but not worse than other types/brands – I have used hundreds of them in my own designs over the years and experienced few problems.

Jack housing w/contacts can be seen, and inspected, through top-vent. I haven't tried to clean them (they're all good on mine), but careful spraying, maybe followed by "scraping" the contacts with a piece of paper, should work.

Greg Lambert

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2018 6:51 pm    

I had an old Univox that had the same problem. It was a transformer.

Joseph Napolitano

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2018 5:42 pm    

Thanks Georg and Jack. I ordered some Deoxit.