The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Clinesmith T-8, Happy Indeed
Bill Groner

QUAKERTOWN, PA
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2018 7:00 am    

Well if that doesn't stink! You will have to edit your post.......Almost Happy Indeed. Sad

Andy DePaule

Saigon, Viet Nam & Springfield, Oregon
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2018 7:08 am     Varnish

Tom Campbell wrote:
Andy,

GADES...what a bummer!!!

If the finish is nitro-cellulous lacquer it my be possible to repair the scratch. If its a poly finish, not so much.
There are a number of articles dealing with repairing nitro finishes. The Forum has some and the regular guitar sites have a number suggestions/methods.

Varnish is the finish. Nice too.... I could do lacquer, but not sure about this.
Really it only shows when the light shines across it a certain way.
Best wishes,
Andy
Magnatone Jeweltone Series Lap Steel, Circa 1950? 6 String with F#minor7th Tuning.
1956 Dewey Kendrick D-8 4&3, Restoration Project.
1973 Sho~Bud Green SD-10 4&5 PSG, Restoration Project.

Andy DePaule

Post  Posted 22 Mar 2018 7:12 am    

Bill Groner wrote:
Well if that doesn't stink! You will have to edit your post.......Almost Happy Indeed. Sad

Still happy because it's such a fine sounding steel as well as being so beautiful.
But next time I meet a TSA guy he better not have his finger in his nose if he don't want it broken! Laughing
Best wishes,
Andy Very Happy
Magnatone Jeweltone Series Lap Steel, Circa 1950? 6 String with F#minor7th Tuning.

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2018 7:14 am    

I feel for you Andy. I just got my Clinesmith aluminum cast 8 string and the second day I had it, it slipped off the makeshift stand I had and landed on a finger pick scratching the aluminum! It is a small scratch. but still!

Bill Groner

QUAKERTOWN, PA
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2018 7:23 am    

I bet everyone's wives are saying......."oh if he only cared about my stuff like he does his damn guitars!" Well, I can only speak for me! Whoa!

Andy DePaule

Post  Posted 22 Mar 2018 8:13 am     Yup, Thats why

Bill Groner wrote:
I bet everyone's wives are saying......."oh if he only cared about my stuff like he does his damn guitars!" Well, I can only speak for me! Whoa!

Yup, Thats why I ain't got a wife no more, just 3 Ex's.
I do have a sweet girlfriend, but she understands that if she complains she'll be gone. Laughing
Ladies are nice, but steel guitars are more entertaining.

Mark Roeder

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2018 9:23 am    

What's that behind Todds left shoulder? Very Happy

Andy DePaule

Post  Posted 22 Mar 2018 1:51 pm    

Mark Roeder wrote:
What's that behind Todds left shoulder? Very Happy

Nothing special... Thats just some old Bigsby pedal steel! Whoa! Shocked Razz Rolling Eyes Laughing
Actually it was a repair job for the original owner. Todd mentioned that we should not show it in a photo because some Bigsby owners are funny about that.

Larry McFall

Huntsville,Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2018 4:06 pm     Back to Vietnam

Looking like a happy camper Andy! I am the one you talked to at the Jamboree with the retired Marine Son in Hanoi with his family. I sent him the information we discussed.

Good looking instrument. Have a good trip back to Nam!

Andy DePaule

Post  Posted 22 Mar 2018 4:08 pm     Hi Larry McFall

Hi Larry,
Remember our meeting well.
My girlfriend is up in Ha Noi now.
Certainly if your son gets to Saigon I hope he will stop by too say hello.
Please give him my cell phone number.
Best wishes,
Andy

Last edited by Andy DePaule on 26 Mar 2018 1:39 am; edited 1 time in total

Todd Clinesmith

Lone Rock Free State Oregon
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2018 6:18 pm    

Sorry to hear the TSA marred the finish on your steel Andy.
I hope you are diggin' the tone of the new T-8. I loved it and enjoyed building and playing the guitar while she was here.

Thank you Andy,

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Clinesmith-Instruments/1457245817911268?ref=bookmarks

Andy DePaule

Post  Posted 22 Mar 2018 6:49 pm     Still Beautiful

Hi Todd,
Still a stunning steel and the dent only shows when hit by light from a certain angle.
The varnish is still all there and I suspect if it had been lacquer it would have chipped so the varnish is better.
Yes the tone is great and I'm quickly getting used to the spacing. Almost the same at the bridge end and only a fraction closer at the nut.
I'm also finding the longer 24.5" scale just as easy to do slants on as the 22.5" after just a little practice.
Now have to try to learn these new tunings and get to be a better player to deserve the instrument you made.
Thanks for all,
Andy

Todd Clinesmith

Post  Posted 22 Mar 2018 7:11 pm    

Varnish is a pain to lay out, but the end results are worth it every time I use it.

If Speedy West's Bigsby did not have a varnish finish, it would not have endured the life it was given in it's later years. The varnish saved that guitar, lacquer would not have.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Clinesmith-Instruments/1457245817911268?ref=bookmarks

Andy DePaule

Post  Posted 22 Mar 2018 7:23 pm     Impossible over time

Bill McCloskey wrote:
I feel for you Andy. I just got my Clinesmith aluminum cast 8 string and the second day I had it, it slipped off the makeshift stand I had and landed on a finger pick scratching the aluminum! It is a small scratch. but still!

Hi Bill,
Impossible over time to avoid the signs of age including the little mistakes we make.
Is sad to happen so soon, but on the bright side it still sounds like the best steel you ever played, Right?
I was also upset to see I'd been chipping the black lacquer when I got too wild with my picking... Had to make a stainless steel pick guard for my JM Aluminum lap steel. Didn't realize I was going so far over the edge of the strings.
Best wishes,
Andy

Andy DePaule

Post  Posted 22 Mar 2018 7:36 pm     Varnish indeed.

Todd Clinesmith wrote:
Varnish is a pain to lay out, but the end results are worth it every time I use it.

If Speedy West's Bigsby did not have a varnish finish, it would not have endured the life it was given in it's later years. The varnish saved that guitar, lacquer would not have.

Yes I think I'm gonna have to learn to use varnish as it seems to be much tougher than lacquer. Will pick your brain next time I see you about brands, thinners and application.
When I did my very first acoustic guitar (Attached below) in 1969 I tried "Man Of War" spar varnish. Didn't know enough to thin the stuff back then and it never did dry. Had to take it all off and do a french polish with shellac. That came out okay, but never did try to do the varnish again.
Best wishes,
Andy

This had Back, Sides & Neck of very tight Birdseye Redwood. The mills used to toss that stuff in the trash in the 50's. The face was from a big Redwood Shingle and Rosewood fretboard, bridge and Ebony tuners. I had no real idea how a guitar should be made back then so copied the shape of a Harmony body.

Todd Clinesmith

Post  Posted 22 Mar 2018 8:12 pm    

Birdseye, and curl was considered defect. Which in a structural format it is, but...

I have some curly Douglas Fir here that was culled from a mill years ago. Pretty rare material.

Andy DePaule

Post  Posted 22 Mar 2018 10:57 pm     Gone now

That was a decent sounding guitar, but not the best classic ever by a long way.
I kept it until about 1983 when I was a better builder. At that time I was embarrassed by the work in that first guitar so I took it to my band saw and finished it off.
Now I wish I'd not done that, but too late. You know that feeling about first efforts.