The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Playing Tracks Through A PA
Harry Dove

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2018 7:37 pm    

Do any of you use tracks you have created for a live performance? If so, what do you use to play the tracks? When I play tracks at home, from my PC, they sound great since my PC has a high quality sound card. However, when I use my lap top the quality drops way off. Burning them to CD retains the quality but isn't very convenient since you can only get 15 to 20 songs on a CD and unless you are sitting next to the PA system you have no control over playing them. With a lap top sitting next to me, the song starts when I hit the button and I know the right song is going to be played. It's bad enough having the PA person controlling the volume and tone. I build my own PCs so they get the components I want, but I never tried building a lap top and don't even know if the parts are available. I haven't tried any of the newer gadgets like a notebook or kindle, but I doubt they would have the quality I'm looking for.

Billy Phelps

Katy, Texas
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2018 3:53 am     better sound from a laptop

The basic problem is, your laptops do not have a quality sound card, and the headphone output works descent for headphones, but doesn't sound good for a direct to PA interface.
The answer is a USB audio interface.
I had several Presonus and M-Audio audio units at the Dallas show that we are blowing out.
If you want to pay the shipping, I could send you one to try out. You can download the drivers from the internet.
I own a Full Circle Sound.
Check your PM

Harry Dove

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2018 5:34 pm    

Thanks for the info. I'll do some research and see which direction I want to go.

Harry Dove

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2018 5:45 pm    

Has anyone tried the Behringer UMC404HD?