The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  ZB D-10 Fixer Upper
David Mitchell

Tyler, Texas
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2018 11:11 am    

This is a ZB Pedal Steel I am selling for parts or restoration. $850.00 plus $175.00 shipping UPS ground. I just refinished it a couple of months ago to keep but I have too many steels and not enough money. Someone had covered the whole guitar in turquoise enamel spray can paint. Inlay and all. I stripped it back down to white wood and put a thin violin type finish on it. It's not super shiney and super smooth. It looks like the finish on a $30,000.00 violin. The wood is gorgeous! Here is what it will need to get both necks working. A string pin broke off of changer finger one on the C6th neck. Not sure what it would take to fix it. One of the small flat bars is missing on the B pedal of the E9th neck. It comes with all the pull rods and yokes and Allen screws but that flat bar is missing. It will also need a pickup for the C6th neck. I think Kevin Hatton still makes them.
The changer is clean and working smooth and I install brand new adjustable return springs. The assembly of the undercarriage is pretty self explanatory by looking at the pedals I have already setup. It only has two knee levers but has 4 holes should you want to add more. The endplates are deeply scratched but there is plenty if aluminum to sand the scratches out if desired. I received it that way. It was shipped to me in a subpar case that broke open while FedEx had it. If you want pickup selector switch is they will have to be hooked up. This guitar sounds great like all good ZB's. Just needs a day's worth of work and a few parts to have a complete professional D-10. It has Sho-Bud Fretboards on it to play it but new black ZB Fretboards from Kevin Hatton would make this guitar look awesome. It is a very uniquely finished ZB.
It comes with the original ZB case and the parts except what I mentioned above that was missing. The undercarriage parts are polished aluminum so it will be pretty underneath too. I only ship to the continental 48 USA states. The shipping price includes having the case boxed and packed to UPS standards, insurance and delivery confirmation. That's the only way I will ship it. Paypal only. Donation will be sent to steel forum if purchased by a forum member. Thanks!

David Mitchell

Tyler, Texas
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2018 4:41 pm    

Please close. Sold. Donation coming after payment received .

Art Beard

Once upon a time out west (deceased)
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2018 6:19 pm     Z B D10

My b-day, i take a nap n look what happens. GEE WEEZER.
GAS -1969 ZB D11/10,1974 Sho-Bud D10 Professional,1975 Speedy West S10, 150 yr okd Barn Board tele, Beard signature Gold Tone Dean Acoustic/Electric Bass, Tennessee 12 string Bass, 3 String Shovel.2 Fiddles., Sho-Bud amp, Epiphone valve special amp, Fishman loudbox artist amp.

David Mitchell

Tyler, Texas
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2018 7:11 pm    

Lol! Yes that one went pretty cheap cuz I needs the moooneeeey.

Dale Rottacker

Walla Walla Washington, USA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2018 1:40 am    

That was some beautiful wood... someone got a great guitar
*1977 Blue Sho-Bud Pro 3 Custom 8x6
https://msapedalsteels.com
http://rittenberrysteelguitars.com
https://www.telonics.com/index.php
https://www.p2pamps.com
https://www.quilterlabs.com

David Mitchell

Tyler, Texas
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2018 2:41 am    

Thanks Dale! Yes that one had gorgeous wood. I still got another ZB that has modern changer fingers and modern undercarriage. The guy that bought this one is gonna convert it to a modern undercarriage too.

Art Beard

Post  Posted 15 Mar 2018 5:24 am     Zb D10

David, in the conversion, did the steel lose that famous beautiful ZB sound. I have always been afraid if losing the tone in any upgrading of the undercarriage.
Just a tone freak.here. i have a ZB D11/10 With the prettiest birdseye I have ever seen. And i finally found and bought my ultimate SHO-BUD D10 1973 PROFESSIONAL, once again with beautiful wood.
GAS -1969 ZB D11/10,1974 Sho-Bud D10 Professional,1975 Speedy West S10, 150 yr okd Barn Board tele, Beard signature Gold Tone Dean Acoustic/Electric Bass, Tennessee 12 string Bass, 3 String Shovel.2 Fiddles., Sho-Bud amp, Epiphone valve special amp, Fishman loudbox artist amp.

David Mitchell

Tyler, Texas
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2018 6:25 am    

Art I did a conversion where I changed the endplate and finger actuators out for a modern 2raise/2 lower and it did change the sound although it still sounded better than many steels but I did a test of putting a modern pull mechanism on a ZB with the existing ZB changer and did not notice a bit of difference in tone. The changer has not a clue what is yanking on it. Zane didn't build the flat bar undercarriage for tone. He did that to get all the mechanics with a low profile. If you look at the back of a ZB you can see how shallow the cabinet is and how low the changer sits to the cabinet. It's nearly impossible to put modern mechanics in a ZB without the bell cranks hanging way down past the cabinet with pull rods running at a steep angle or having to add on to the cabinet and make it deeper or hanging the bellcranks upside down which I found works best with that huge 3/4" stepdown on the C6th neck. You still have to add wood to the back of the guitar. If you want to keep the ZB sound don't mess with the changer or keyhead.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2018 7:47 am    

David,
I believe the ZB sound can be contributed to the pickups also.
Erv

David Mitchell

Tyler, Texas
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2018 8:22 am    

That's true Erv. Thanks for reminding me. I forgot that one. The ZB pickup is probably the most versatile pickup that's ever been built. Extreme variety in tones it can make with the double coil/ double magnets inside.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2018 8:33 am    

David,
I agree with you, the changer, key head and pickup all contribute to the ZB sound.
I rebuilt a ZB and retrofitted it with a standard cross shaft system but made sure I kept the above items intact. Very Happy
Erv

David Mitchell

Tyler, Texas
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2018 9:36 am    

You did good Erv. Our friend Henry Matthews said he converted one like you did yours and said it still sounded the same.

Art Beard

Post  Posted 15 Mar 2018 7:34 pm     Zb D10

Very Happy My friends Erv And now David, thank you so very much for the straight advise. I will not change much if ant of the undercarriage on either my ZB 11/10, nor my new 1973 SHO-BUD D10 PROFESSIONAL. SPEEDY WEST S10 will also stay mechanically stock. Tho clear coat is gone.
HAPPY TRAILS. CAA