The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  George L's Reinforced Nylon .11 gauge (discontinued!!?)
Christopher Hillman

Manchester, UK
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2018 10:33 am    

Hi All,

I've run into a problem. My Keyless Excel U-12 will only take the George Ls 11. guage strings with Reinforced Nylon Wrap around the "ball end" for the high G#.
I was informed that they stopped making these now so, i'm going to be stuck once i've used the 4 i have left!!! Sad

My main question is... do any other brands make these type of strings??

A bit of background on all this:

i've tried normal gauge 11's, 12's and even a 10 (the 10 lasted for a couple of weeks) but, the only string that will stay on (for the last 6 years i've owned it) is this type of string with the reinforced nylon wrap.
I can go months without snapping one of these strings... normal strings dont even get up to the G# before breaking... its not that they dont last that long, they dont last at all!!

The pervious owner found the 11s with the Nylon to be the only solution to this. I also sat with him as we tried 11s and 10s, it must have pulled apart about 8 in a row until we got the 10 to last (for a couple of weeks)
It's like there is so much tension it just rips the string apart!

This keyless system is a 2004 Excel U-12 and you have to get the string close to pitch before locking the string at the changer end. I use a machine head in an aluminium block that i can attach to the changer to bring it up close to pitch, lock it, then tune it up to G# at the headstock. As you can see the "ball end" of the string is at the headstock.

Any suggestions welcome. I'm just hoping someone knows of another manufacturer that makes strings with the Nylon Wrap? I think i may be looking for another Steel unfortunately as I use this Guitar for all my touring, sessions and TV work. it goes everywhere with me and i don't have a second as a back up.

Chris

Headstock with Nylon G# wrap

Home made device to get string close to pitch

Changer

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2018 10:49 am    

There's an irony here. A UK friend for whom I've done some remote session work thinks highly of your work with Billy Bragg and has sent me numerous Youtube links. I've been thinking (a long, drawn out slog) about an Excel and a video of you playing one convinced me that they sound good.
Now this.....

Christopher Hillman

Manchester, UK
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2018 12:05 pm    

Haha!! cheers for the complements Jon! Nice to know Very Happy I wouldn't be put off an Excel from this post.
The Guitar its self is amazing! The first time i played it i fell in love with it straight away and had to have it.
Its really well built and light weight and sounds like a proper Pedal Steel. I played a new one in Nashville recently and it was just as good.
i believe Excel changed the changer and headstock a few times since my model has been built. I will contact them as well to see if they have any tips... i've just never needed to ask them before as, these strings work so well.

I've been thinking about buying a Williams for a while as i love the sound but, whatever happens i will keep always keep this guitar... i'm sure i'll figure something out.

Last Friday i played it on a BBC filming of "The Old Grey Whistle Test, For One Night Only" through a reissue Twin... i think it sounded pretty cool.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pp_OZJ3od7o

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2018 12:31 pm    

Ah. That's superb. Very nice.

This is a photo that my friend posted.

My comment was:
Quote:
"Hey drummer--can you hear me?" "Yes! Move farther away!"

I know, I know--I presume it's another band's set.

Chris Reesor

British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2018 12:55 pm    

Christopher, if I am understanding you here, it is the wrap that is coming apart, rather than the wire itself breaking? If so, perhaps a short piece of shrink tube, available from any electronics shop, over the wrap that fails? Worth a try, at least. I would also consider whipping the wrap with fly tying thread and saturating the thread with superglue. Of course, using a string with adequate wrap strength is important too. The Jagwire 11.5 ST I am using has 8 twists and 4 or 5 tight wraps. Have you tried them?
There are several versions of keyless Excels around; I guess this is one of the less successful ones. Mine,built around 2000, I believe, has the ball end at the changer and the string wrapped around a cap screw on an individual vertical moving block at the head end which is tuned with a hex key. The low B (.068) and E (.054) go through holes in their blocks, locked by a cap screw. Works well and doesn't break strings even with the 25.5" scale.
Good luck finding a solution to this issue.

Bill Burch

California, USA
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2018 1:33 pm    

Could you solder the wire twist so it doesn't come apart?

Bill

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2018 1:57 pm    

Martin "Marquis" brand of strings have a soft silk material type wrap. They are made for an acoustic guitar but if you can find a set and use the .010 that may be an option.

I don't think the strings are available individually.

Christopher Hillman

Manchester, UK
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2018 2:26 pm    

Quote:
Christopher, if I am understanding you here, it is the wrap that is coming apart, rather than the wire itself breaking? If so, perhaps a short piece of shrink tube, available from any electronics shop, over the wrap that fails? Worth a try, at least. I would also consider whipping the wrap with fly tying thread and saturating the thread with superglue. Of course, using a string with adequate wrap strength is important too. The Jagwire 11.5 ST I am using has 8 twists and 4 or 5 tight wraps. Have you tried them?

Heatshrink or some kind of self made wrap might be the way forward Chris. I'll look the Jagwires up... maybe i could adapt these like you say, or maybe this will be enough!

Quote:
Could you solder the wire twist so it doesn't come apart?

Bill

Bill, its a good idea and i'll try it if nothing else works. I'm a bit concerned about heating the string up as i think this might make the string fragile maybe?

I'll be honest its been 6 years at least since i've seen it destroy a string without the wrap. As i remember they sometimes seemed to break anywhere along the string. I cant remember if it was always at the headstock... i just remember them breaking before they got up to G#. I tried to put it out of my mind haha! They must have been breaking towards the headstock if this solved the problem though.

I guess i'll have to start experimenting before it becomes a problem. I'd hate for this to happen on a show.

Bill Burch

California, USA
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2018 2:40 pm    

Chris,

Soldering iron heat won't hurt the string at all. Slide the tip up and down the twisted wires to heat them evenly, then feed the solder onto the string. Should flow right in and be nice and shiny.

Bill

Rich Gibson

Pittsburgh Pa.
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2018 2:54 pm    

Ernie Ball makes a reinforced string made for rock guitar players that use the trem arm a lot.
they work well on my 25”scale lamar keyless.I had a lot of trouble getting anything else up to pitch on the High G#.I found an 012 worked best....
They have them at Juststrings.com available as singles

Bob Watson

Champaign, Illinois, U.S.
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2018 11:04 pm    

D'Addario, Ernie Ball and GHS all offer single reinforced steel strings. I've used the GHS reinforced 11's for backups for years, no matter what brand of string I was using at the time. I've been playing the new D'Addario NYXL1138PS pedal steel strings lately and they are supposed to last longer than their regular strings. So far so good.

Christopher Hillman

Manchester, UK
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2018 4:14 am    

Great news!!! good to hear other companies make reinforced strings. I only knew of the George L's ones and assumed it was just their thing. I'll have to get some on order. Very Happy

Per Berner

Skövde, Sweden
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2018 4:21 am    

Christopher Hillman wrote:

Last Friday i played it on a BBC filming of "The Old Grey Whistle Test, For One Night Only" through a reissue Twin... i think it sounded pretty cool.

Saw you! It was a nice surprise to hear some steel on the Beeb – and Albert Lee as well. And just a few days earlier, Sarah Jory backed Elkie Brooks on The One Show. Almost an overdose!

Stephen Williams

from Wales now in Berkeley,Ca, USA
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2018 12:09 am    

great stuff.

These new strings NYXL by D'addario and others are supposed to stretch further sing louder etc etc.

Bill Moore

Manchester, Michigan
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2018 5:37 am    

You say you use the auxiliary tuner to bring the pitch almost to G#. Have you considered tuning all the way to G#, or even a little past it? In your picture, it looks like the edge of the cam on that string is so far back that it that is puts stress on the string and also bends it back more.

I would first tune it at least to G# with the extra tuner, then operate the pedals or even stretch the string a little. Then tune again making sure the cam for the string is as close to the nut as possible, then lock the string down at the keyless tuner. I think you will end up with the cam closer to the nut roller, giving you a less sharp bend in the string and less stress caused by the edge of the cam on the string.

Christopher Hillman

Manchester, UK
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2018 2:08 pm    

Hey Bill, if you get the tension too high or too close to the note (at least on the top 4 strings) the string will break when you clamp the string down. around D is the highest you can get the G# without it snapping before its clamped.

John Goux

California, USA
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2018 3:41 pm    

Hi Chris. I’d love to see and hear something from you work with Billy Bragg.
Could you post some stuff? Especially the excel.
John

Christopher Hillman

Manchester, UK
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2018 8:43 am    

Quote:
Hi Chris. I’d love to see and hear something from you work with Billy Bragg.
Could you post some stuff? Especially the excel.
John

Hi John, sure thing! Here are a few videos of me with Billy Bragg and the 'Old Grey Whistle Test' video with Rob Vincent. All are with the Excel as i dont have a second Steel quite like it. I've been thinking over the last few weeks of getting a second U-12... might part with my sho~bud and Fender 1000 to raise the funds!

This is my Excel through a 68' Deluxe Reissue with only a Hilton volume pedal in between. This is me an Billy Bragg playing Neil Youngs "Harvest" in Soundcheck at the end of the last tour (hence me needing a really good hair cut!!) Just off an iphone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phVe2-Fx8ho

Heres another of Billy Bragg & my pal Joe Purdy singing Tennessee Waltz. We used to be a full band but, now tour just me and Billy. I've also toured with Joe using the Excel. On his records i used a sho~bud he owned.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQloLQ1Ke8c&list=PL-tPJrpqOkvgTSVvMxZz324s9MxtIIBfk&index=6

Heres the band playing with Billy in Germany a few years ago. Playing through a Tweed deluxe reissue, just straight in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gu3O3ykrZxw&list=PL-tPJrpqOkvgTSVvMxZz324s9MxtIIBfk&index=10

And lastly 'The Old Grey Whistle Test' with Rob Vincent:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pp_OZJ3od7o

Like i've said before i love my Excel, It still has a great sound considering its size and weight. Also the craftsmanship is like the old guitars i think, some modern guitars just look a bit plain when you get up close up to them.
Enjoy!

Paul Redmond

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2018 9:00 pm    

George L's strings are made by GHS. You may want to contact them.
PRR