The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Finish on Regular guitar
Bob Jennings

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2018 6:31 am    

I have a nice guitar that a Gentleman made and I bought it. He did an excellent job of steaming the wood and assembling the guitar but the finish was done with a brush and is a little rough with brush marks. Is there a way to refinish this guitar or, I was thinking that I could use some crocus cloth in a very fine grit and work the finish smooth. It has seven coats of varnish on it. This is what the Luthier told me how he did the finish. He has passed away so I don't have any idea as to how to do this. I could leave it like it is but I would like to have a nice finish on it. Any suggestions?

Bob Jennings

Bill Hatcher

Atlanta Ga. USA
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2018 5:14 am    

you need to know what the finish is that is on it before you start. a brushed on finish that was not leveled is for sure not what you want to see. a good lacquer finish will cost you hundreds of dollars, so if the guitar is valuable to you then you can consider that option.

if you do start in on the finish thats on it, i would start with a very very small area on the bottom rim. take a big pencil eraser and some 400 grit wet dry paper and a very small dish of naptha. use nitrile gloves and do it outside. wrap the paper around the eraser. this will keep the surface flat. dip the paper in the bowl with just a little naptha in it. wet sand in a small circle and see if the finish is hard enough to sand. dip the paper in the naptha regularly to unclog the paper. if you find that the paper has white powder on it, then your finish may be a brushing lacquer. sand very lightly with 400 until you knock some of the brush marks down and then move up to 600 paper and then to 1200. you have to be very careful and not cut through the finish into the wood!!!!

when leveled then use white rubbing compound and buff.

having said all that, if you do not have any experience with guitar finish work....take it to a luthier who does. finish work is all hand labor and is very expensive. now you know why it was brushed on.

Bob Jennings

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2018 6:48 am     Finish on regular guitar

Bill Hatcher

Thank you for the information. The Gentleman that did this guitar did tell me that it was lacquer finish. I will give this a try--not right away as winter is still hanging on and I can't get outside yet.

Bob Jennings