Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Affordable precision tuner
Jeffrey McFadden

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2018 5:45 am    

Dan Robinson wrote:
Jeffrey McFadden wrote:
Chance Wilson wrote:
Thx so much. I just got pitchlab (not pro?) for $2.99 and in 10 minutes I had one of my temperaments loaded. I got a clamp on phone holder for $5 too. Well worth the time it’s going to save.

I'd bet fifty cents that Peterson's cable to plug your guitar direct into your phone would work with Pitchlab. It's just a passive input transformer. Makes my phone tuner work in noisy environments. https://www.petersontuners.com/shop/item/Adaptor-Cable-for-Mobile-Devices

You would win that bet. I don't think it has a transformer, just connects the ground and mic-in signal to 1/4" jack. I sacrificed an old headset to get the plug and cable, some careful soldering to 1/4" phone plug, and voila. Considering my trouble the Peterson product is money well spent.

Yeah, I should have seen that. It doesn't need transforming, the levels would match. Excellent test!

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2018 6:12 am    

This one's affordable. And precision (329.6 Hz):

Jeffrey McFadden

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2018 8:03 am    

Jack Hanson wrote:
This one's affordable. And precision (329.6 Hz):

Skip Ellis

Bradenton, Fl USA
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2018 4:12 pm    

I just tried to download the extended version of PitchLab Pro for my phone to get the steel presets. It doesn't appear to be available any more. Anyone know why?

Dan Robinson

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2018 8:23 pm    

Skip Ellis wrote:
I just tried to download the extended version of PitchLab Pro for my phone to get the steel presets. It doesn't appear to be available any more. Anyone know why?

Skip, try the free download, and follow Tommy Mc's well written steps earlier in this post.

I tried it on my work iPhone. It doesn't recognize my purchase through the Google Play Store. But the plain vanilla (free) version supports custom Temperaments.

Does it work for you?

Dan Robinson

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2018 10:11 pm    

My offsets are shown on the chart. I added them to PitchLab as two separate custom temperaments:
(a) open strings added as Newman E9 Open,
(b) offsets with pedals/levers engaged are added as Newman E9 Pedals.

That doesn't cover every change in my copedent, but it's a good start.

PitchLab has some shortcomings.

â–ªThe offsets in a Temperament are relative to one reference note, normally A. There is no provision to sweeten an A.

â–ªSelecting a temperament requires navigating to the Settings screen.

â–ªThe new temperament name is displayed for 2 seconds, then it fades out.

I'm interested to know how these things work in the Peterson app.
Is it more "pedal steel friendly?"

Tom Wolverton

Carpinteria, CA
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2018 4:21 am    

Looks like you can upgrade to Pitchlab Pro from within the app. (iOS). Just click on the shopping cart icon.

Dan, does a chart exist like that for C6? It’s very handy.

Skip Ellis

Bradenton, Fl USA
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2018 5:28 am    

I've been trying to get the upgrade but it doesn't seem to work and now I'm having trouble even finding the app in the store.

Stephen Cowell

Round Rock, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2018 8:39 am    

Be aware that the Petersen adapter cable does not buffer the signal... if your volume pedal's tuner output does not isolate the tuner, you'll have a severe tone-suck, since the phone's input jack is fairly low-impedance. I ran into this with my chrome Fender vol-tone pedal... horrible tone with this combination. The 1meg resistor mod should help this, see the volume pedal sticky at top for this.

Tommy Mc

Middlesex VT
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2018 10:34 am    

Stephen Cowell wrote:
Be aware that the Petersen adapter cable does not buffer the signal... if your volume pedal's tuner output does not isolate the tuner, you'll have a severe tone-suck, since the phone's input jack is fairly low-impedance. I ran into this with my chrome Fender vol-tone pedal... horrible tone with this combination. The 1meg resistor mod should help this, see the volume pedal sticky at top for this.

That's a good reason to use the Peterson "PitchGragger" mobile clip-on tuning pickup instead of an adapter cable. It doesn't connect to the volume pedal at all. Simply clips on to the body like any clip-on tuner. https://www.petersontuners.com/products/pitchgrabber/

Bruce Bjork

Southern Coast of Maine
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2018 11:37 am    

This is what I use with my Pitchlab pro, works like a charm.

https://www.amazon.com/OnBoard-Research-OBAC-OnBoardResearch-GoTune/dp/B01GF1N4ZK

Dan Robinson

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2018 3:08 pm    

Tom Wolverton wrote:
Dan, does a chart exist like that for C6? It’s very handy.

Tom, I created that in Excel. I play only E9, so don't have a chart for C6. I bet you could roll your own. PM me your email address and I'll send you the excel file.