The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Birthdays Today! (Daryle, Leon & Pee Wee)
Mike Johnson

Nashville, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2018 5:58 pm    

Today is the birthday of some of my dearest friends that have gone to be part of the greatest band to ever be assembled.

*My friend from Montgomery Ala, Pee Wee Dutton’s birthday is today. He was one of the guys I watched play steel as I was growing up. A sweet guy that I sure miss seeing when I go back to visit. Everyone loved Pee Wee

*Another birthday today, my hero, not just as a player, but as a Christian too, the Legend Leon Rhodes. After Mel Street died, I went to work with Jack Greene and Jeannie Seely in 1978. They didn’t have many dates so most of our work was playing the Opry on the weekends. Leon took a liking to me so between Opry Shows we would get in one of the dressing rooms and Jam. I’m not sure how good I could play at that point, but I could play pretty fast. Leon, the Speedy Gonzalez of all times, loved that I appeared to keep up with him. He was so good to me through the years in every way. One night a short time before he died, he told me that everything he had ever played was from God. He would not take credit for one note. I sure loved him and I know God is sure enjoying having him there.

*Then there is another fellow celebrating a birthday today with the Lord. He’s probably hangin’ out with Merle Haggard, George Jones, Johnny Paycheck, Kenny Hinson,(one of his favs), along with the other incredible singers that once sang here on these Earth Stages. And if they are all singing, which you know they are, everyone is enjoying having Daryle in the round. As many of you know Daryle Singletary and producer Greg Cole both believed in me enough to let me play on the CD, “That’s Why I Sing This Way”. It’s still my Favorite Project I have ever recorded. When he sang live, it was unbelievable what he could could do with that incredible voice of his. I loved him as a friend, as a singer and as a Christian. Happy Birthday and Enjoy Heaven my Good Friend, I’m sure going to miss You, that Voice, and that Big Ole Heart of Yours!

Jimmy Lewis

Harrisonburg, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2018 8:23 pm    

Mike those are great compliments and feelings being spoken for some great talents and fellow Christians. The world would be a lot better place if we wpuld take note and express our feelings about how we feel about those we have great respect for and care about.

Mike Johnson

Nashville, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2018 6:51 am    

Thanks Jimmy , I think you are right!

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2018 7:52 am    

Mike, What a wonderful testimony of friendship and love for our fellow man. We are blessed to have known such great talent and include them as friends. God bless you and all our lost family of musicians.

Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2018 8:53 am    

All 3 of your friends were blessed indeed with incredible talents. Their lives must have been enriched having you as a friend Mike. Happy Birthday in heaven to them all.
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,

Craig Stock

Westfield, NJ USA
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2018 9:07 am    

Mike, such nice words, and glad you are doing well!

I cried because I had no shoes, then I met a man who had no feet.

Today is tomorrow's Good ol' days

Randy Schneider

SW New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2018 9:33 am    

Thank you for sharing your thoughts, Mike. "That's Why I Sing This Way" was one of my first exposures to the awesome talents of both you and Daryle - it is a wonderful collection of work.

Prayers for your departed friends, and prayers for you and your family as well, hoping for your continued recovery.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2018 2:23 pm    

My heart goes out to you and the families of all involved.

I subscribe to Countryroad.tv and was watching an old episode of Larry's Country Diner last night, with You Daryle and Joanie. You could see the love you had (have) for Daryle. When you get with Daryle' it's pure magic.

So sorry you have to go through this.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open E slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.