The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Lowers on E9 pedals 4 and 5
Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2005 12:18 pm    

I often get asked how I use the two G# full tone lowers I use on pedals 4 and 5.. I was fooling around with them today, recording little ditties, and I thought you guys might like to hear pedals 4 and 5 the way I use them.. Its typical E9, you can do it without dropping these strings, but its a feel thats quite different from a and b pedaling... lots of "swoop".. give a listen... IF this works!
Page URL: http://www.freefilehosting.net/?id=rdD8kKnY

Russ Tkac

Post  Posted 17 Sep 2005 12:45 pm    

Nice Bob! Is this your Carter? It does have that Fender sound.

Russ

Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2005 12:54 pm    

Hmmm...

I get " the playlist format is not recognized" and a blank Windows Media Player screen. Nada.

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2005 1:11 pm    

Jimm... maybe because I recorded it with winamp..??... not sure.. don't worry, you didn't miss much!.. ( bob

Michael Barone

Downingtown, Pennsylvania
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2005 2:11 pm    

Nice demonstration Bob.

I did this: right click the file, save as, then save to hard drive. Then locate it, right click the file, click "open with", then open with Windows Media Player. That way you won't use Winamp by default.

Good tone, clean recording.

------------------
Mike Barone
Sho-Bud Pro-1 5&4 with RHL | Nashville 112
Assorted Guitars & Keyboards

Jon Moen

Canada
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2005 2:18 pm    

If you want Windows Media Player to play .wma files by default, in Media Player/Options/File types, Make sure wma is checked

Jon

Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2005 4:37 pm    

Got it by downlading rather than streamiing. sounds great - exactly what I like about my 400 in that it uses mainly lowers rather than raises. A very distinctive sound.

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2005 4:17 am    

Oh great... John and Bud are gonna be just thrilled that some fool hacked up one of thier perfectly good steel guitars and tried to turn it into a 40 year old Fender cable job!!...

Its true that it has a similar sound to some old Fenders,mainly because of the lowers and the 8 K pickup position that I use mostly.. [it is wound by Jerry Wallace to Fender specs]...

I also use those lower pedals on some pretty fast speed picking stuff.. maybe I'll post some at a later date..

I think more guys should add 2 or even 3 pedals to their E9 setups... Its a different feel, and I for one could not be without it.. levers are ok, but the pedals are faster,smoother and more precise IMHO..

Actually,I've decided to sell my old 400 because the"fendery" tone I like at times is in the Carter with the flick of a switch.. not exact but quite close.. I think the main difference is the Carter aluminum neck..If it had a wood neck and the 8 K pickup, it would be even closer to th Fender sound, IF that is what you are after,, MOST guys are not!....

I'm so glad you guys enjoyed this dopey little demonstration... add a pedal today! bob

[This message was edited by Bob Carlucci on 18 September 2005 at 05:18 AM.]

[This message was edited by Bob Carlucci on 18 September 2005 at 05:19 AM.]

Michael Weaver

Buffalo Grove, IL
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2005 5:22 am    

I had the 6th string lowered a full step via my LKL. I used it alot!!!! But I am now "steeless" as I sold my MSA 3 weeks ago. So the new problem is....what brand to buy when I am ready to purchase another.......By the way, your soundclip came through fine for me. I clicked on your link, then clicked download, and Windows Media Player did the rest.

Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2005 7:57 am    

Bob - that IS a great Fender tone emulation, and the pickup impedance is a huge key to that.

One thing I'd be missing if I went that route would be the increased string spacing on the 400, which I simply can't live without right now. Maybe someday I could get used to the tight spacing on a 10-string, but they all feel awful to me.

[This message was edited by Jim Sliff on 18 September 2005 at 08:58 AM.]

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2005 8:00 am    

Jim.. thats pretty wild.. I am SO used to the 10 string, the 8 string feels alien to me..can't get used to it... the exact opposite!... bob

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2005 2:05 am    

Bob, dude..I love it..

Did you say you are dropping the 3rd string a whole tone ? If thats the case where are you doing it ?

This is great stuff..way out of the box..

by the way..

I don't happen to think your Carter sounds like a Fender..

I think it sounds like a....well..a Carter !

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2005 3:38 am    

Tony.. .. thanks for kind words !!

I have used 5 pedals on my S 10 guitars for the 29 years I have been playing..

Here's what happened.. I outgrew my Maverick within 3 months, and went and ordered a new MSA... I didn't order any particular color or set up, but it arrived with 5+4... the 4 and 5 pedals were the same pulls as I already had on knee levers
[ one was 2nd string down a half].. so I went under the guitar, figured out how to change things around, and I decided to drop the 3rd string a full tone on pedal 4 and string 6 down a full tone on pedal 5. Its just what I came up with, without any real reason behind it

. It may be a waste of space pulling 1 string on a pedal, but when I combined both these lowers on the same pedal on my Willy,{which only has 4 pedals] I have found the feel is so far off from what I am used to, I don't use the changes as much..

The 6th string takes very little movement to drop a full tone..

The 3rd takes a LOT of pull to drop down... MANY guitars can't make that pull.. MSA and Carter do it without a problem, NEVER met a BUD that can come close,, the Willy can do it just barely if I use an .0115.. Its one of the main reasons I have always played MSA guitars until I got the Carter. they CAN do the pull, I made sure I talked to John about it before I ordered.. I would guess any manufacturer can get the pull from thier changers with some mods.. The 3rd string full tone drop is an unusual pull, and many guys use a lever to pull thier first strings up a full tone which is similar, but the pedal is faster and the feel is better... I think more guys should try these changes on pedals.... bob

[This message was edited by Bob Carlucci on 20 September 2005 at 04:41 AM.]

[This message was edited by Bob Carlucci on 20 September 2005 at 04:42 AM.]

Steve Ostermann

Ocean County, NJ
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2005 4:53 am    

Bob:

Very cool indeed. I have the 6th full step lower on RKL. Pedal sound you have, though, is unique. I like this change combined with the LKV, dropping the B on 5 a half.

Steve

Chip Fossa

Monson, MA, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2005 6:05 am    

Sounds great Bob. I'm wondering whether or not my Willys could drop the G#s a whole tone? I got the pedals, and it would mess up the B6th side of the Universal, but your playing and use of those changes could almost compel one to go for the changes.

Let's hear some of that fast picking with those changes, soon. We're waiting!