The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Cakewalk Sonar
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2018 3:13 am    

A relatively new company, "BandLab" has purchased Cakewalk Sonar, that was "killed" by Gibson. The product will be renamed according to the new owners. We don't what the name will be but it looks like "Cakewalk" and "Sonar" will be dropped for a new name.

Quote:
In November of 2017, Gibson announced that they would be discontinuing development of their Cakewalk brand. This left Sonar’s diehard users having to abandon their favorite DAW for another option. But today, Cakewalk fans rejoice as BandLab Technologies has officially acquired the complete IP of Cakewalk Inc., saving a brand on the brink. In an online post, BandLab’s Founder and CEO Meng Ru Kuok showed the company’s appreciation for the Cakewalk community, while also looking ahead: “This community is really incredible and we’re honored to be here and to be part of building the future of Cakewalk and SONAR.”

BandLab, known for their all-in-one social music creation platform, has also announced the addition of former Cakewalk CTO Noel Borthwick and Ben Staton to help with the transition and the development of future products. And best of all, it was announced that the company would continue with Cakewalk’s legacy DAW and ensure that users “will not need to spend any money to cross-over/cross-grade to the future flagship product.”

Jon Smorada

Industry, PA USA
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2018 7:35 am     Cakewalk

That's great news. I have a lot of money invested in Sonar Platinum, instrument plugins etc. When I heard the news Sonar was dead I went out and bought Studio One 3 at crossgrade pricing and a trial version of Pro Tools. So far the user interface and workflow are not as intuitive as Sonar and I don't want to spend time learning a different GUI,

Robert Jones

Branson, Missouri
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2018 11:22 am    

Thanks for the information Jack. I am currently running Sonar X3. I love it and it works so well for the sessions I do. Easy to work for an old man like me. I will keep a lookout for Bandlab.
http://www.bjsbars.com/

Jon Smorada

Industry, PA USA
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2018 12:24 pm    

I've been in touch with them and they're working hard to get their ducks in order. All I know for certain is when they're ready to rock and roll you'll need the licensing information from your current Sonar subscription in order to not be considered a new customer. I hope they honor the previous subscriptions...

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2018 2:53 pm    

This is the latest from BandLab, posted 3/21 on the Sonar Forum. They have hired two ex Sonar employees, the "main man" Noel Borthwick and Ben Staton.

I hope you don't mind me jumping in and writing a note to everyone here. The positive messages (with many questions of course!) have been really kind and I believe I speak for everyone on the BandLab team in saying thank you. This community is really incredible and we're honoured to be here and to be part of building the future of Cakewalk and SONAR.

We're now in the process of transition and migration of data, trademarks, build processes and other fun administrative things that are necessary when deals like this happen - but it's important for you all to know that we feel that the people in the community (especially the lifetime fans and users of the product) are the reason this incredible product has been around for more than 30 years and will live on many more into the future, so I'll try and stop in personally as much as I can to say hello and make sure questions are answered about the transition where possible.

An important thing we strongly believe in is to be as open and transparent as we are able to be - once the product roadmap and more information on our plans are ready within the new establishment, you guys will be the first to know. We'll keep updating the Announcement FAQ as often as we have something to update, but I quickly wanted to address a key concern I saw in and amongst the threads so far and immediately reassure everyone that even though the suite of Cakewalk & SONAR products is now within a new company, our steadfast goal is that former SONAR owners (of all versions) will not need to spend any money to cross-over/cross-grade to the future flagship product.

As you can imagine, there is some complexity in this, and I am currently personally working through all of the agreements that have a $ per unit or % dollar amount and negotiating to remove them on the go-forward to ensure this is possible. We only have 2 left to go - they are specific replaceable bits of code and are a nice to have, but hopefully this moves quickly. If it's not something that can be achieved, we'll replace them with either our own technology or work with other partners who want to be part of future releases.

This may be TMI, but I thought it may be valuable for you guys to have some insight on what's already going on outside of changing passwords and rebuilding tables.

----

In other news, I'm also very happy to let you guys know that Noel Borthwick and Ben Staton will be joining our engineering team and we're actively looking for talent to expand our team further (PM if interested!).

I was very fortunate to get to know Noel through the process, and as our conversations developed I was very pleased to find someone whose experience and personal vision on the world of music creation matched the aggressive one that our team has here at BandLab Technologies. It didn't hurt either that he promised to teach me jazz guitar...

With Ben, his passion for the project and personal story of joining Cakewalk from having started off as being a superfan really resonated with us and I'm very much looking foward to working with him too. We strongly believe that the best products come from thinking solely about what one would want as a user/consumer - it's a huge advantage to be one yourself.

There's a lot more we'll be able to share soon, and reading through all the posts here and around the web - I've seen nothing but love (famous last words ) for Cakewalk, SONAR and the community that has supported it over the years through good times and bad.

I think I'd better not say anymore, we'd rather under-promise and over-deliver, than over-promise and let you guys down. I hope you'll give our team a chance to earn your respect and for us to make great music together for many years to come.

With sincere regards,

Meng

Robert Jones

Branson, Missouri
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2018 2:59 pm    

Thank you Jack for this post. This means a lot as I use my Sonar to lay tracks down to several studios I am contracted to.
http://www.bjsbars.com/