The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Difference between guitarists & steelers
Rich Upright

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2018 9:26 am    

The trend over the last couple years (one I wish would go away) is for guitar manufacturers to take a brand new guitar & "relic" it by beating the hell out of it, rusting it up, and selling it for a premium price, to make it appear "vintage". There are people that even specialize in "relicing" your guitar for a price. But, I notice steelers freak out when they have a scratch on an endplate. Glad to see this ridiculous trend has not hit the steel community. It is the ultimate in pretentiousness & poserocity. For the record, scratches or blemishes on a steel OR guitar don't bother me at all, but I certainly would NOT pay extra for a beat up guitar.

Jerry Dragon

Gate City Va.
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2018 9:28 am    

one plays an instrument
one plays a contraption.
I ain't saying which.

Jeff Garden

Center Sandwich, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2018 9:33 am    

The relic guitar owners are the same people that pay extra for "designer" ripped blue jeans. I guess they don't play guitar or wear blue jeans enough to break them in naturally.

Rich Upright

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2018 9:40 am    

Yea; my girlfriend just bought a pair of "pre-ripped" jeans, but when she tried 'em on for me, she looked SO hott in them I couldn't complain!

Wonder if "pre-dented & rusted" new cars will ever catch on?

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2018 9:55 am     Re: Difference between guitarists & steelers

Rich Upright wrote:
"poserocity"

Had to go over it a few times but I got there - brilliant word! Cool

Jeff Garden

Post  Posted 3 Mar 2018 10:00 am    

Hot women always get a pass - they can (and will) do whatever they want to Smile

Let me know if that pre-dented, pre-rusted thing catches on, Rich. I'll roll back the odometer on my 15 year old truck and sell it as brand new off the Ford relic assembly line..."yes Sir, that oil leak right there is deliberate and is designed to make it look like a working truck."

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2018 10:15 am    

You can even buy a relic amp cabinet now. And relic guitar cases. People pay big money for fake mojo.

Skip Edwards

LA,CA
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2018 10:32 am    

Hah... I've got a Session 400 in similar shape. Wonder if anyone would pay big bucks for it...

Don R Brown

Rochester, New York, USA
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2018 11:14 am    

Rich Upright wrote:
Yea; my girlfriend just bought a pair of "pre-ripped" jeans, but when she tried 'em on for me, she looked SO hott in them I couldn't complain!

Ed Boyd

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2018 1:11 pm    

My poor guitar is relic'd. You can't see it but on the other side the old thing has cigarette burns where someone used to sit their cigarette. If I ever get a new guitar I will be terrified to take it out of the house. The first scratch will leave me traumatized. LOL.

Steve Spitz

New Orleans, LA, USA
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2018 2:48 pm    

I Feel like I’m a relic. Does that make me worth more ?

Russell Adkins

Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2018 3:32 pm    

forest gumps mama said stupid is as stupid does lol

Kevin Fix

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2018 7:32 pm     Clean And Shiny For Me!!

My Super Pro is all of 40 years old but don't look like it. No scratches, dings and all my aluminum is almost flawless. He looks like he don't get out much but he will be getting a work out in a couple more weeks once our 2018 gigs kick into gear. County Fairs and Festivals and some large in door gigs. I take a lot of pride in my Bud!!!

Bobby Hearn

Henrietta, Tx
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2018 8:31 pm    

I've never understood why someone would buy that crap. That's like a football player taking his helmet and putting unearned scratches on it.

Bill L. Wilson

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2018 11:58 pm     A Relic.

Someone actually bought this at The Barrett Jackson Auction in Phoenix last year.

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2018 1:16 am    

In London there are firms that can come round first thing Monday and spray your SUV with mud to make it look like you have a weekend place in the country. Relevance? Dunno - did use the word "country".

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2018 4:41 am    

I hear ya !

I have two 52RI's, an 88 and an 89. The 88 never leaves the house (right) , basically a WALL Queen, the 89 ( left) is becoming a natural relic, it has come to every gig since 2003 or 2004. It has battle scars.

If I ding the 88, the value goes down, if I ding the 89 the value goes up ! Very Happy

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Al Evans

Austin, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2018 6:04 am    

Ed Boyd wrote:
My poor guitar is relic'd. You can't see it but on the other side the old thing has cigarette burns where someone used to sit their cigarette. ...

Mine's like that. Actually, there's a little melted place on one edge of the C6th pickup. I'm not even sure how they did that.

My wife and I were commenting just the other night how guitars are vintage, and refinishing them is sacrilege, while pedal steels jus get old, and restoring them is an improvement.

--Al Evans

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2018 7:57 am    

Could it be that guitars (and fiddles and suchlike) mature with age because they're mostly wood, while PSGs wear out because they're mostly mechanism? Idea

Jeffrey McFadden

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2018 8:06 am    

"Poserocity"

Ten thousand points.

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2018 8:36 am    

Quote:
That's like a football player taking his helmet and putting unearned scratches on it.

That's a good analogy, Bobby!

Here's a new reliced Fender-style case. Complete with coffee/beer stains and cigarette burns. The buyer of this case has an old Fender Esquire and he's happy to have the case. Problem is... future buyers and sellers will assume that the case is original. Oh Well

Jeff Garden

Post  Posted 4 Mar 2018 9:12 am    

Here's the guy at the Fender factory who puts the authentic "road warrior" bar smell into the cases, Doug Smile

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2018 9:24 am    

Cool Cool

Brett Lanier

Madison, TN
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2018 9:42 am    

I used to neighsay relic'ed guitars too but then I realized that the best sounding and playing new guitars I've tried in the last few years have been relics. It could be psychological, or it could be that the guys building the relics are selecting the best woods available because those are the high dollar guitars nowadays. i also prefer a lighter finish on guitars. From what I understand that's part of the reasoning behind Nash guitars only making relics. He can get away with putting a lighter nitro spray and no sealant on a relic.

James Winger

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2018 9:53 am    

Jeff Garden wrote:

Let me know if that pre-dented, pre-rusted thing catches on, Rich.

I always thought it'd be a good job for a teenager to sit outside a new truck dealership with a ball-peen hammer and charge $15 to put the inaugural dent in a work vehicle just to get the owner mentally past it.

WHACK!

There now you don't have to worry about wearing off the new...

Quote:
yes Sir, that oil leak right there is deliberate and is designed to make it look like a working truck."

Nordstrom got a ration of crap for selling fake mud jeans last year

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/nation-now/2017/04/26/nordstrom-selling-425-jeans-covered-fake-mud-mike-rowe-calls-them-out/100921914/[/quote]

Diver by trade, and I suppose there's the same thing. Our gear sometimes looks roached out (no way around that), but we try to keep the functioning bit perfect.
Funny though, you can usually suss out someone in terms of their style (there are different styles) and experiences in abt 10 seconds watching them set up..usually earlier
I think that's what trying to buy display miss...a guy diving every week for 30 years looks like a guy diving every week for 30 years even if he's carrying loaner gear.
It's in the comportment, not the equipment

Last edited by James Winger on 4 Mar 2018 10:23 am; edited 5 times in total