Author Topic:  Fender George Benson twin reverb
tom anderson

leawood, ks., usa
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2018 4:07 pm    

Has anyone tried this with their steel?

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2018 2:08 am    

Interesting, Rating them back at 85 watts...

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/GBTwin--fender-gb-george-benson-twin-reverb-85-watt-2x12-inch-tube-combo-amp?gclid=CjwKCAiArOnUBRBJEiwAX0rG_YZEduPOLVWY0K7i0WRfIigUnXiOO3YyWjTWlbvqdoX8YyjsGpjkvxoCQiEQAvD_BwE

Lighter NEO speakers and a Pine cab save 13 pounds.

12AY7 up front reduces the preamp gain by a small amount from the 12AX7.

Clean and detailed-sounding amp built for George Benson
85-watt, 6L6 power amp for full-sounding headroom
A 12AY7 preamp tube adds clarity to the Normal channel
2 Jensen Tornado neodymium 12" speakers
Solid pine cabinet reduces weight
Custom aesthetics look classy at home or onstage

New cab, new grill cloth, different speakers and a tube change. I'm pretty certain this is an excellent amp for Steels, the 4 x 6L6 platform is clean as all get go with a ton of headroom. But in the scheme of things, it's still just another version of the Twin Reverb RI.

I wonder what happened to the George Benson Hot Rod Deluxe ? Looks like it got kicked off the porch !

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Morton Kellas

Chazy, NY, USA 1
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2018 8:17 am    

It looks like they replaced the 12AX7 with a 12AY7 in the normal channel only. From the video they also are using a different taper volume pot which they should have changed in the twins years ago. Nice amp, especially with the lighter weight, how it will sound with a pedal steel is the big question. The only sound change I can see happening between a Twin RI and the GB model, is the 2 Tornado speakers and the pine cabinet. I would like to hear one.

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2018 9:44 am    

Another change, not mentioned, is the tube complement. Fender only references the preamp and power tubes with no mention of the rectifier tube. Does this amp have a tube or solid state rectifier?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Morton Kellas

Chazy, NY, USA 1
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2018 11:07 am    

That is a good question Greg. I would assume it would be solid state since Fender changed to them sometime in the sixties. It does not list a rectifier tube in the specifications on the site as you indicated.

Chris Reesor

British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2018 11:07 am     Twin Rectifiers

Greg, I believe Twin Reverbs always used SS rectifiers, full wave in the blackfaces and earlier silverfaces, going to a bridge in the later high power versions.
Gotta love the weight, though. Only 3-4 lbs. more than my RI DR with K120

Cheers, CR.

Bill Hatcher

Atlanta Ga. USA
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2018 12:10 pm    

Greg Cutshaw wrote:
Another change, not mentioned, is the tube complement. Fender only references the preamp and power tubes with no mention of the rectifier tube. Does this amp have a tube or solid state rectifier?

???? you dont know the tube compliment of a twin???? what year were you born? lol

twin reverb. great amp. today nobody uses them because of the volume, no good tubes readily findable at a good price, and all the guys who used them are in too bad a shape now to pic them up!

if they got rid of 33 pounds from the amp...might be interesting for old times sake. also, i dont buy any fender amps with printed boards in them made in china or where ever they have them made. too hard to work on and not real enough for me.

having said that..maybe legions of smooth jazzer guitar players will buy them.

Paul Sutherland

Placerville, California
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2018 4:24 pm    

I use a Twin. It doesn't have to be ungodly loud to sound very good. I use TAD tubes mainly. They are current production tubes, and seem to be a good value for the money. I split the head into a separate cabinet so it's not too heavy. It's my most used gigging amp. If I used neo speakers rather than JBLs the speaker cabinet would be much lighter.

Ken Morgan

Midland, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2018 4:37 am    

This particular TR model weighs only 8 lbs more than the PCB Deluxe Reverbs ... Fender may really be onto something with this.

Ken Morgan
Midland, TX

Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2018 3:27 pm    

I have been using the 12" Jensen Tornado speake for around 5 years now in my Princeton Reverb. Got players all over our area using them in Deluxe reverbs, musicman, amps and even N-112 amps. I'm sure this new Twin will sound awesome with these speakers. Hope I can try one of new Twins soon

Steve Spitz

New Orleans, LA, USA
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2018 7:04 pm    

looks like a cool amp, but with a printed circuit board and at that price, Id look at some other options first

That price point buys a lot of amp if you find the right used steel friendly amp.

Of course this isnt aimed at steel players, but many of the top steel amps sound great with six stringers as well.

Im happy to see them make an effort to meet the needs of some different, smaller segment of the market.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2018 1:35 am    

Bill Hatcher wrote:

twin reverb. great amp. today nobody uses them because of the volume, no good tubes readily findable at a good price

Bill, TR's are not about volume they are about clean headroom further up the knob should it be needed. IF we wanna use the weight argument, then sure, they are heavy. I am still wondering why people think a TR is about massive earth shattering volume. They really are not. I used one, the same one, for 25 years , it was just an amp. It's still just an amp. It served it's purpose very well . Wish I still had the 1970 TR that I bought new.

Around 2005 I acquired a 71 TR, used it for a decade. Sold it to a friend maybe 2 years ago, I am thinking about buying it back ! I don't think I ever changed a single tube after the initial "get it gig ready".

I'm not using one now due to weight and only weight, but the fact of the matter is I have been chasing a replacement for the TR's performance for well over 2 years now. I've settled on a 40 watter which does an adequate job but it's still not on par with a TR's overall dual channel clean performance and it has nothing to do with volume.

Quality tubes are indeed available.The market has geared ( steered) many towards matched sets which in my world is total insanity. Use a matched set for 30 days, they are not matched anymore. When we first plug them in and set the bias, ok, we are at max amp efficiency whatever that may be.

Today the amp is putting out 85 watts. Does it matter if next week the amp is putting out 84 watts ? Or 84.5 watts, or 81 watts ?

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website