The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Volume Pedal Aches & Pains
Rick Nicklas

Verona, Mo. (deceased)
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2005 8:03 pm    

This last year I noticed everytime I played a gig that my right shin muscle aches like a &^&$^*&$@%# after about an hour of playing. It was because my foot was rocked back and in a fixed position making the muscle constantly flexed to keep the pedal back. I have a low profile pedal so I thought this should not happen. Well, two weeks ago I took the little bag I keep my picks and bar in and folded it over and slipped it under the back of the pedal raising it a quarter inch or so. I cannot tell you how much of a difference this made on the problem..... no more aches and pains by just moving the back up a very small height adjustment. If anyone else has this problem, give this a try. It also seemed to help my foot travel for volume raise and lower accuracy and comfort.

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2005 4:18 am    

Good solution. Ergonomically speaking, having the ankle hyper-extended didn't work for me (and can lead to the condition you describe). So I traded in the Goodrich 'everybody' said I needed for an Ernie Ball, which got my heel down lower.
Happy camper now.

Rick Nicklas

Verona, Mo. (deceased)
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2005 5:24 am    

Charlie,

Sounds like your problem was the exact opposite of mine. I needed my heel just a touch higher. They should make the pedals more like large appliances so we could adjust front and back height.

------------------
Rick
Williams & Kline U-12's, Session 500

Roger Crawford

Griffin, GA USA
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2005 6:02 am    

That's why Goodrich and Hilton make both standard and low profile pedals. I tried the low profile, and it wasn't comfortable. The standard model was just right. On top of that, the Hilton pedal has adjustable feet at the back that can be adjusted for maximum comfort. Really a slick idea.
Roger
http://filmoreshouseband.tripod.com

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2005 6:33 am    

That's why I like the old Fender pedals! They have the lowest profile, and the pivot is in the exact center of the pedal. This means that even though the travel is the same as most other pedals, your toe is never as high, and your foot doesn't feel hyper-extended. It's also big enough (so your foot's not hanging off), lightweight, well-shielded, and easy to work on.

For me, it's the only pedal comfortable enough to use for those 12-hour jams!

Michael Barone

Downingtown, Pennsylvania
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2005 10:23 am    

Consider the type of shoe that you wear. You may want to try a shoe with a slightly higher heel than what you normally wear for playing.

I feel a big difference between casual loafers and athletic shoes, for example, especially with a low-profile pedal. A shoe with a solid heel (and maybe a little higher) is more comfortable on the ankle, for me at least, and allows you to slide the foot toward the rear of the pedal, if desired, for better control of the right knee levers.

I also like loafer heels for the left foot. For me, rocking is easier.

Just some thoughts.

------------------
Mike Barone
Sho-Bud Pro-1 5&4 with RHL | Nashville 112
Assorted Guitars & Keyboards

Howard Tate

Leesville, Louisiana, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2005 10:51 am    

When I wore western boots all the pedals and levers seemed to work better. Now I have to make concessions to diabetes and the boots are out. I'll try raising the back of the pedal, sounds like a good idea. Maybe I need a prescription for a Hilton pedal....

------------------
Howard, 'Les Paul Recording, Zum S12U, Vegas 400, Boss ME-5, Boss DM-3, DD-3, Fender Steel King, Understanding wife. http://www.Charmedmusic.com

John Daugherty

Rolla, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2005 4:09 pm    

The Hilton pedal is drilled and tapped for feet to screw into the rear of the pedal. I did this to my Goodrich pedal before I got a Hilton. This modification makes the rear height adjustable.

------------------
www.phelpscountychoppers.com/steelguitar