The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Promat D-10 No Longer For Sale, Please Close
Andy DePaule

Saigon, Viet Nam & Springfield, Oregon
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2018 6:43 pm    

I am looking to sell my Promat D-10.
Was told it was #11 so that would make it about 2007 or 2008 I think.

The first two photos are natural untouched pictures of the steel taken last year by me.
Since that time I have had it worked on by Jim Palenscar of Steel Guitars Of North Country where the guitar resides today.
Jim replaced the original fretboards which had rather week color in the red and blue position markers making them hard to see in some light.
I gave him two new unused Emmons Chrome fret boards which he installed as well as adjusting the entire guitar to operate perfectly. Now they have very good color so that is no longer an issue.
The next photo is from the Promat web site.

The other three photos were from the person with the original post who sold me the steel.
I will not mention names, but he had doctored these photos with heavy use of contrast and saturation as well as other photoshop tricks that he uses in all his many posts to hide damage and make a more presentable instrument.
When it arrived it had scratches in the front of the end plates that Jim sanded out and polished for me. Now the guitar actually does look and play like new as I’d been told when I bought it.
The seller seems to have tossed screws and some other odd parts loose in the case and then tried to blame the carrier for the damage. No Names thank you.

Every person who has played this steel has told me they think it is as good or better than any Emmons they have played. I am no Emmons expert, but it is a fine playing steel with very smooth action. The tone and sustain are both very very good.

The reason I am selling this is it was the first time in 40+ years of playing that I’d bought a Push Pull. I am just not a PP guy as it turns out and now think it better to pass this on to someone who really desires this kind of steel. I also have several other very nice pedal steel guitars.

It can be seen and played at Jims shop, Steel Guitars Of North Country in Oceanside, California. I welcome all to go and try out this fine instrument.
If your a PP guy who loves that classic sound you will fall in love with this guitar.

To my knowledge Mr. Papic built 26 and a half steels prior to his death last year. Best I can figure there is one other just like this in Hawaii (Without the Gold tuners) and another almost the same. but with wood necks in the US mainland. I think there is also one S-10 in this color combination in Europe somewhere. Most are the classic Black Mica color.
Mine and I think one other have the gold tuners, but most are standard silver.

I am selling this at a loss to see it go to a good player with a good home.
If I do not get the price I’m asking I will keep it and become a PP kind of guy.
The steel is standard Emmons copedent on both necks. E9th has the E’s on the left knee and 2nd & 9th string lowers on the Right. The other right knee lowers the 6th string to F# and raises the 1st string to G#. C6th neck also has all the standard pedal and knee changes in the usual place.
Price is $4,500.00 or I keep it. I believe these Promat Steels are some of the best ever made and that the value will increase in time because of the quality of the workmanship, attention to details and the very limited number of instruments built and not often available.
Magnatone Jeweltone Series Lap Steel, Circa 1950? 6 String with F#minor7th Tuning.
1956 Dewey Kendrick D-8 4&3, Restoration Project.
1973 Sho~Bud Green SD-10 4&5 PSG, Restoration Project.

Last edited by Andy DePaule on 28 Jun 2018 4:47 pm; edited 3 times in total

Tony Glassman

The Great Northwest
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2018 6:52 am    

pm sent

Neil Lang

Albert Lea, Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2018 8:10 am    

Andy.....you better give this another thought? You could easily regret selling this. "Just saying"....sweet guitar!!!
Neil Whoa!

Dave Diehl

Mechanicsville, MD, USA
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2018 8:31 am    

Set up right Andy, you have one of the finest guitars made. This one, very similar to yours, plays and sounds about as good as a steel guitar possibly could.

Andy DePaule

Post  Posted 3 Mar 2018 3:49 pm     I may keep it

Dave Diehl wrote:
Set up right Andy, you have one of the finest guitars made. This one, very similar to yours, plays and sounds about as good as a steel guitar possibly could.

Hi Dave,
Yes if it does not get the asking price I intend to keep it.
Your Promat is almost identical to mine except for the necks and tuners color.
It is a fine playing steel as well as having wonderful tone and sustain.
Just that I have way more PSG's than I can possible need.
Also going to be picking up my new Clinesmith T-8 in two weeks after the Dallas steel jamboree.

Had a PM from a friend who has owned and re-built many PP's. saying I should spend a few hours with him. He'd show me all I'd need to know. Wonderful.
I do know and understand the basics of PP already, just no practical experienced knowledge. Sure I could work it out since I've also worked on and re-built a few Sho Bud's myself.

I also think these Promat Steels will increase in value over time just because they were so well made, better than most Emmons in my opinion. Now that Jim has done the final repairs to the damaged parts so nice it is in perfect condition.
If not sold by Mid-Summer I will keep it and bring it back to Saigon to gig with here.
Will keep it for sale until then.

Best wishes,
Andy
Magnatone Jeweltone Series Lap Steel, Circa 1950? 6 String with F#minor7th Tuning.

Andy DePaule

Post  Posted 3 Mar 2018 4:09 pm    

Neil Lang wrote:
Andy.....you better give this another thought? You could easily regret selling this. "Just saying"....sweet guitar!!!
Neil Whoa!

Thanks Neil,
Yes it was torture deciding to sell. Thats why I'll hold for the price desired or keep it to play.
Hope you and your family are doing well. Was so good to meet you last August, see your great collection and the one you re-built as well as hearing you play.
Hope to get back to the north country to see you again soon.
Best wishes,
Andy Very Happy

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2018 2:24 pm    

I have deleted a "discussion" that was not appropriate for this forum. As a matter of fact, it wasn't appropriate for any venue I would visit. Mad

We now return to the original topic: the Promat that Andy DePaule is selling. Future off topic posts will be deleted.

David Ball

North Carolina High Country
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2018 5:46 pm    

I believe this may be a Promat I once owned--sure looks familiar!

It is a great guitar. Sounds and plays like a push-pull should. I've had several original Emmons guitars, and my Promat played better--maybe like a new Emmons would have. Mr. Papic was a very cool guy. He took a personal interest in every guitar and the person who played it. After I bought mine, we emailed back and forth frequently.

At any rate, these are great, finely machined, hand made guitars and Mr. Papic put his heart and soul into his guitars. You can feel this to play one. It's not at all like a mass produced instrument. Neurologic foot problems moved me towards instruments with lighter touches than any PP has, but otherwise I'd probably still have this guitar (or its twin).

Dave

Andy DePaule

Post  Posted 4 Mar 2018 5:59 pm     Maybe...

Hi David,
Maybe it was one you owned.
I only know a small part of this steels history.
Will pm to ask some details.

They really are very well made instruments. The detail that went into the underside is usually only seen in Emmons guitars that haver been re-built by pros with loving care.

Not sure I understand the foot problems, but to me it seems very easy to play though not quite as light a touch as my Mullen G2, but none the less very easy pedal and knee action.
Thanks for your comments,
Andy

Last edited by Andy DePaule on 10 May 2018 3:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

David Ball

North Carolina High Country
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2018 2:56 am    

Mine played easier than the Emmons guitars I've had, but still enough stiffer than a modern all pull guitar that It gave me troubles. When I sold mine, I gave up pedal steel altogether and stuck with lap. Of course that wasn't going to last, and I play both again now. Not very well, but I play!

I think your guitar is a different one from mine. Mine had Lawrence humbuckers on it instead of single coils. Otherwise, it was the same.

Dave

Andy DePaule

Post  Posted 5 Mar 2018 3:48 am     The Pickups

The Pickups look like Wallace True Tone pickups, but on that count the pickups look the same as those on my Mullen and they make their own I think.
Anyone making pickups can get the same magnets and the black/white/black plastic so the looks mean nothing but the style.
Have no way to know if it had Lawrence humbuckers on it and then they were changed before I got it. The other Promat that is almost identical has silver colored tuners and the mica on the front is reversed from this one. Also very few were made in this color combination. Could well be the same guitar. Maybe you can find out?
I certainly do not know the number of windings or the impedance?
I have no idea what the brand or who made the pickups on my Promat.
I do know they sound very good and seem very well made and never cared beyond that. Very Happy

Andy DePaule

Post  Posted 9 Mar 2018 6:44 am     Answer to questions

I've had some questions in PM's and e-mail.
If there is anything you'd like to know please feel free to send one of those.
If you want more photos I'll need to know your e-mail address.
Best wishes,
Andy

Andy DePaule

Post  Posted 10 Mar 2018 9:57 pm     Questions, Please contact.

I've had some questions in PM's and e-mail.
If you have Questions, Please contact. I am in the USA this week until the 19th of March.
If there is anything you'd like to know please feel free to send one of those.
If you want more photos or my connect cell number I'll need to know your e-mail address.
Best wishes,
Andy

steve takacs

beijing, china via pittsburgh (deceased)
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2018 4:09 am    

Andy is a good guy. If this were keyless, I would buy it. Steve t

Andy DePaule

Post  Posted 14 Mar 2018 7:25 am     Thanks Steve, Sound clip added...

steve takacs wrote:
Andy is a good guy. If this were keyless, I would buy it. Steve t

Thanks Steve, A sound clips on youtube added of Henry Mathews playing this Promat steel on youtube;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kwmb0EZnBL4

His playing is very nice and when you consider he usually plays Day style and not the Emmons set up on this steel it is remarkable... Ha Laughing Henry plays better backwards than I do forwards.... Rolling Eyes Shocked Very Happy

Andy DePaule

Post  Posted 21 Mar 2018 10:11 pm     Another Sound Clip, youtube

Found another sound clip on youtube of Henry Mathews playing this Promat steel on youtube;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ble63I9Lr1c

Last edited by Andy DePaule on 10 May 2018 3:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

Tony Glassman

The Great Northwest
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2018 10:59 pm    

Are you still trying to sell this guitar?

It sounds great. So what if i's a little more time consuming to change things around. How often do you really need to do that? It it's as reliable as an Emmons. it should be simply "set & forget".

Just sit back, play and bask in that glorious P/P tone.

Andy DePaule

Post  Posted 21 Mar 2018 11:20 pm     Still for sale

Hi Tony,
Yup, Still for sale.
I'll leave it at Jim's shop until mid summer when I return to the USA for a few weeks. If not sold by then I'll be happy to keep it.
True enough that once set up it will be left alone.
It is Emmons set up now with the E's on the left leg.
I'm not so used to these standard changes after 40 years of playing like this;
E's to Eb on the right knee and I also use my 2nd and 9th strings tuned to C# and raised by knee lever.
If kept I'd like to change it to play like all my other steels.
Best wishes,
Andy

Last edited by Andy DePaule on 10 May 2018 3:33 pm; edited 3 times in total

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2018 7:43 am    

I'm a little confused, Andy. What's the copedent of this guitar?

Andy DePaule

Post  Posted 22 Mar 2018 8:10 am     Standard Emmons Tuning

b0b wrote:
I'm a little confused, Andy. What's the copedent of this guitar?

Hi Bob,
It's totally Standard Emmons ABC Tuning with 8&4.
On the E9th neck Left knees raise and lower the E's, RKR Raises the 1st string to G# and lowers the 6th string to F#. RKL Lowers the 2nd and 9th string standard.

On the C6th neck It is G E C A G E C A F C with all the standard C6th pedals in the usual places and one knee lever lowers the 3rd string to B.

Not the weird tuning I'm used too Whoa! Laughing

Last edited by Andy DePaule on 22 Mar 2018 2:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

Tony Glassman

The Great Northwest
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2018 8:16 am    

It would not take much effort to switch your copedant (sp?) to what you described. You could have Jim do it while the guitar is down in San Diego or I can help you do it when you return to Oregon.

Contrary to popular opinion, the push-pull systemis a relatively simple simple mechanism.

Andy DePaule

Post  Posted 22 Mar 2018 2:25 pm    

Tony Glassman wrote:
It would not take much effort to switch your copedant (sp?) to what you described. You could have Jim do it while the guitar is down in San Diego or I can help you do it when you return to Oregon.

Contrary to popular opinion, the push-pull system's a relatively simple simple mechanism.

Thanks Tony,
Maybe if not sold by July or August I will retrieve it and come by to set it up to my copedent. Would be good to see you again anyway. I may well be in the area then anyway to get something up at Todd's place. Did you see the post in the non-pedal page of the new T-8 he made for me? Really a sweet steel.
Best wishes,
Andy Very Happy

Lee Barber

Sweeny, TX, USA
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2018 7:12 am    

These are great guitars. Tone!!!!

Andy DePaule

Post  Posted 23 Mar 2018 8:02 am     Indeed, Tone and....

Lee Barber wrote:
These are great guitars. Tone!!!!

Indeed, Tone and sustain as well as very good construction details. Very Happy
Thanks Lee.

Jeffrey Snyder

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2018 9:06 am    

Would love to see a photo of the underside of the guitar.
1973 Sho-Bud LDG-Round Front (3&4), 1976 Marlen D-10 (8&4), Emmons Legrande II (8&6), Marlen and Jim Dunlop Bars, Sho-Bud Volume, Emmons Volume, 1983 Peavey Nashville 400, 1989 Peavey Nashville 400, Quilter Steelaire, Catalinbread Belle Epoch Analog Delay, Peterson Strobo Plus HD Tuner, National and Herco Thumbpicks, National Fingerpicks