The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Please close ! Kay Acoustic, 54-56??
Art Beard

Once upon a time out west (deceased)
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2018 4:36 pm    

OWNER IS SADDENED BY LOW ESTIMATES. LAST CHANCE, Before it becomes a closet queen again. If I had funds I would buy for $850 in a heart beat. Crying or Very sad I am posting this to find the value of and sell this fine guitar. My friend bought this guitar from a gentleman who bought it a pawn shop in the THIRTIES. So year is unknown. I think it may be a model 45 and 8404 s/n??
Will post pictures ASAP- I want this guitar, but instinct tells me it is out of my pricing.
It has a fancy KAY headstock with a large flaming torch. This leads me to believe that it was the top of line model in its time. Man said it was very expensive in the pawn shop. Any and all info appreciated, she has wrist problems or this would not be for sale. when we know the true value, i Have 1st right of recession. Thanks for help, old CAA
NOW BELIEVE IT MIGHT BE 1954-1956 YEAR, HOPE TO POST PRICE THIS AFTERNOON. PM PHONE NUMBER AND I CAN TEXT PICTURES.
GAS -1969 ZB D11/10,1974 Sho-Bud D10 Professional,1975 Speedy West S10, 150 yr okd Barn Board tele, Beard signature Gold Tone Dean Acoustic/Electric Bass, Tennessee 12 string Bass, 3 String Shovel.2 Fiddles., Sho-Bud amp, Epiphone valve special amp, Fishman loudbox artist amp.

Last edited by Art Beard on 15 Mar 2018 2:56 am; edited 5 times in total

Art Beard

Post  Posted 1 Mar 2018 11:54 pm     Kay acoustic

It would seem the story she was told was incorrect. Sorry about that. It is a 60's Kay, possibly
Model 956 or close, some differences Kay in great shape.
Any info is a help in determining a fair rice to sell it for.
As i m broke, i have to pass. Crying or Very sad Thanks for any help, yours, CAA
GAS -1969 ZB D11/10,1974 Sho-Bud D10 Professional,1975 Speedy West S10, 150 yr okd Barn Board tele, Beard signature Gold Tone Dean Acoustic/Electric Bass, Tennessee 12 string Bass, 3 String Shovel.2 Fiddles., Sho-Bud amp, Epiphone valve special amp, Fishman loudbox artist amp.

Art Beard

Post  Posted 10 Mar 2018 4:55 am     Kay Acoustic, 54-56??

Now believed to be a 1954-1956. PM phone and I can text Pictures, Thanks CAA

Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2018 1:30 pm    

Art, the Barney Kessel electrics are at the top of the Kay price scale - in the $2k area.

Acoustics - even the few carved-top models - top out at $1500 if in really nice shape - and with the original HSC. I have a '58 Rhythm Special that's one of the high-end models. Great guitar but with a "Louisville Slugger" neck that makes it tough to play.

Every "torch" model I've seen has had a laminated top. If so It might be a $500 guitar at best, regardless of condition.

The Vintage Guitar Price Guide provides values for many Kay models - it really having one of those on hand if you do much buying, selling or advising.
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional

Art Beard

Post  Posted 11 Mar 2018 6:19 pm     Kay Acoustic, 54-56??

Thanks Jim, all thoughts on the guitar are appreciated and passed on to the owner word for word. I have told her my estimate of the guitar and with the reasons why. I will add your remarks and knowledge of it so she can properly price it or I will close it.
Thanks Happy Trails, CAA

Art Beard

Post  Posted 13 Mar 2018 9:01 pm     LAST CHANCE ! Kay Acoustic, 54-56??

LAST CHANCE ! ! Jim, she called a few "experts " that told her the acoustic market dead and the price around $500. or lower. I believe she would sell at around $850 and the price of a non-original case that protects it better. The case with it maybe original, but is a piece of "S___T" that I would NOT ship a $10.00 guitar in, lol
I will keep post up for a few days as she is leaning on keeping it at $500. range. LAST CHANCE GUYS
HAPPY TRAILS, and Thanks for the inputs. CAA Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
I hate to see it returned to under bed life.

Art Beard

Post  Posted 15 Mar 2018 2:54 am     Kay acoustic

Sorry all, chance is gone. Owner is keeping this fine Kay artistic series guitar. Such beautiful condition.
PLEASE CLOSE