The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Carl Heatley
Jerry Dragon

Gate City Va.
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2018 1:32 am    

I have a phone number and address but I am not wasting anymore time. I finally told my wife yesterday that I had been ripped off and then the sheet really hit the fan. I will be hearing about this for years now lol.

Jerry Dragon

Gate City Va.
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2018 2:53 am    

b0b wrote:
Certainly if a member is ripping off another forum member, I want to know about it. It's easier to get results if the situation hasn't already turned into a public spectacle. Email steelguitarforum@gmail.com with details of the transaction. Sometimes I can help.

Well, until I found out he has someone waiting for over two years for a guitar, I gave him the benefit of the doubt. There is no doubt any longer, he is ripping people off. I sent a money order because I didn't want the wife to see the money taken out of a bank account. I used my yearly bonus check from work. What a deadbeat. I am more disappointed that I don't have a guitar than I am angry about being ripped off. 700 ain't going to break me as I said. I don't expect you to do anything about it, but I did want the members here to have a heads up in case they wanted to do business with him.

Jerry Dragon

Gate City Va.
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2018 3:33 am    

Daniel Buller wrote:
I have been hesitant to jump in on these threads until I saw how things panned out. However at some point it's important to speak out to let people know what's really going on.

I realize the Forum is not a place for bad-mouthing people, but at the same time that makes folks so hesitant to say anything that information doesn't get out when truly bad things are happening.

I was one of the customers also affiliated with this scam from Carl Heatley and I verified with three other forum members that were also doing business with him that Carl had each person send payment to a different PayPal account (most accounts didn't even have his name affiliated to the account). He also and encouraged all of us to send the money "as friends and family" rather than for "goods and services". Luckily I sent the money for goods and services so I was able to file a claim and get my money back.

At the end of the day I truly believe he's a con man and I cannot see any logical reason why a person would use a different PayPal account for every transaction they do business for unless they are up to no good.

Additionally I am fairly certain that Jerry Dragon who has been having many problems and has also been the leader on these threads was manufacturing all the parts for Carls guitars so I feel fairly confident and saying it is unlikely anyone is going to receive their guitars.

Thanks for blowing the whistle Jerry!

I did not make all the parts but I did spend 20 hours at work on Saturdays drawing, programming and making 87 bell cranks, four pickup covers and twelve pedals and was about to make fingers. My overtime pay is just under 45 and hour so that puts labor costs to 20x45 or nine hundred dollars I could have made "working." I considered it a labor of love and we didn't even discuss price or anything. I figured we would wait till the guitar was done and figure it out from there. That on top of the 500 cash down payment and 150.00 for veneer and purling I had sent to him.
I also paid over a hundred dollars in shipping costs to pay for shipping for parts I made and to ship him back the parts he sent me. I also sent him a 20 dollar CD on PSG building for reference. I even shipped him back his parts after the fact. Maybe I should have kept them and sold them? One thing besides a life lesson I did get out of this, I can now make a pedal in just under 8 minutes and I can make bell cranks in about 6 minutes a piece and I can make pickup covers in about 10 minutes a piece.
I have to quit this, the cost just keeps adding up the more I think of it LOL!

Patrick Huey

Nacogdoches, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2018 5:37 am    

b0b wrote:
Patrick Huey wrote:
Is this guy another account for the one building the steels named after the luxury car? From Greensbro or Greensburg or wherever?

No.

Thanks, Bob I was just curious.
Pre RP Mullen D10 8/7, Zum 3/4, Carter S-10 3/4, previous Cougar SD-10 3/4 & GFI S-10 3/4, Fender Steel King, 2 Peavey Session 500's, Peavey Nashville 400, Boss DD-3, Profex-II, Hilton Digital Sustain, '88 Les Paul Custom,Epiphone MBIBG J-45, Fender Strat & Tele's, Takamine acoustics, Marshall amps, Boss effects, Ibanez Tube Screamer, and it all started with an old cranky worn out Kay acoustic you could slide a Mack truck between the strings and fretboard on!!

Doug Cassell

San Antonio Texas, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2018 6:30 am    

I sent him $500 deposit, also shipped him a Sho-Bud volume pedal and a Lawrence pickup. I got the $500 back from PayPal, but I dought I’ll ever see the pedal or pickup again.

Don Kuhn

Poetry/Terrell ,Texas, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2018 7:35 am    

I've never understood how people like him can close their eyes at night.

Dennis Montgomery

Western Washington
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2018 4:54 pm    

This is why a couple months ago when I decided to order a new psg, one of my top requirements was to buy from an established builder with a dealer network not a single guy working out of his workshop. No offense to the many reputable single guy operations, but it just seemed like an incredible risk to me so I went with Mullen.

Hear my album, "Armistice" featuring Fender 400 on every song:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLfXm8aXRTFz2Pz_GXhvmjne7lPEtsplyW

Hear my Pedal Steel Only playlist featuring Mullen G2 SD12 on covers like Candyman, Wild Horses, Across the Universe & more...
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLfXm8aXRTFz2f0JOyiXpZyzNrvnJObliA

David Mitchell

Tyler, Texas
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2018 5:06 pm    

I talked to Carl several times back in April because he bought a ZB steel and some other parts from me. I learned today it was for Wade Blaker and now Wade can't contact him. Here is what I recall. Carl wanted the ZB and another pedal steel I had I was selling for $500.00 with no undercarriage parts. The ZB was $750.00 plus shipping and he paid me through Paypal a few day later like he said he would and he wanted me to hold the other guitar a couple of weeks till he could get the money. After I called him a couple of weeks later to see if he still wanted it he said he couldn't afford it and passed on it. He did mention in our talks about some severe health problems he had so.....

Jerry Dragon

Gate City Va.
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2018 12:04 am    

David Mitchell wrote:
I talked to Carl several times back in April because he bought a ZB steel and some other parts from me. I learned today it was for Wade Blaker and now Wade can't contact him. Here is what I recall. Carl wanted the ZB and another pedal steel I had I was selling for $500.00 with no undercarriage parts. The ZB was $750.00 plus shipping and he paid me through Paypal a few day later like he said he would and he wanted me to hold the other guitar a couple of weeks till he could get the money. After I called him a couple of weeks later to see if he still wanted it he said he couldn't afford it and passed on it. He did mention in our talks about some severe health problems he had so.....

so?

two weeks ago, an email finally, after over a month.

"I will be building your steel next week...I have been busy building up a few B benders to generate some cash flow.
I,m not online much now as it distracts me too much.
I will Have your steel finished as soon as I can."

I replied don't rush it, make it right.

he replied

"It will be done right...I won't be needing any more parts..After I finish the guitars I have parts for that will be the end of my building steels...It's just not worth it."

not a peep since.

been getting the run around for two months now, I don't expect much. I don't even remember when I sent the down payment it has been that long. I think it has been about 5 months now. We first talked in Feb.

David Mitchell

Tyler, Texas
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2018 6:40 am    

Looks like that's another name to scratch off our list
So sorry guys. I know how it feels. I use to know how it feels but I don't worry about it anymore although it initially makes me angry when I feel I've been used. But I'm not gonna let money shorten my life and rob me of my joy. If everyone paid me that owe me going back over 40 years I'd have enough money to pay for 10 brand new pedal steels. I guess that's part of living and learning in life.

Doug Cassell

San Antonio Texas, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2018 1:22 pm    

Just needed to mention that Carl did send me back the Volume Pedal and the pickup.

Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2018 6:48 am    

Carl,I have to say something,Jerry sent you money to build him a steel guitar and you've sent him nothing!Jerry is a good guy and friend,He doesn't deserve being treated like this prove me wrong and do the right thing,Sent Jerry his money back,Man up !!!
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

Dennis Brown

Gowen, Mi. USA
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2018 1:08 pm     Carl

Carl, I'd like to get the black Emmons mica I purchased from Jerry Roller and had sent to you.

Jerry Dragon

Gate City Va.
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2018 5:04 am    

I haven't heard from him in about 5 weeks since he told me he would have my guitar done shortly. I am not holding my breath. I may go buy that remington up in Vermont. I almost have the money saved for it and have to go to Vermont in the second week of August. If it is still available I will probably buy it. My main problem since I don't really know how to play, is how to evaluate it. The C6 neck is not set up, he has the rods and pedals etc but it has to be set up or I could leave it as is for now. I wanted an S10, but, we don't always get what we want. I haven't decided what to do with my ZB, I am thinking of parting it out or eventually making an S10 out of it once I learn how these things work, and selling the rest?

Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 17 Jun 2018 8:03 am    

Quote:
I wanted an S10, but, we don't always get what we want.

Jerry, we get what we want or we don't pay the money... Shocked

Jerry Dragon

Gate City Va.
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2018 8:18 am    

I wanted a custom built guitar and was willing to pay for it. Sometimes, we don't always get what we want. I bought the ZB and it was unplayable. Now I partially paid for another, I should have just saved up more at one time but alas, the best laid plans of mice and men often go awry. Now I am back to square two where I am halfway there again. I can't play six string much because I injured the fingers on my left hand a few months ago. I could pick up the Remington in a few weeks or wait a couple of months till I get enough money together to get a reputable SD10.

Tom Campbell

Houston, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2018 9:25 am    

Jerry,

Save up for the type of steel guitar you really want.

Check the "links" site on the upper right corner of this page for a list of reputable pedal steel guitar builders. Or...there are a number of "well-known" used steel guitar dealers on this Forum that have been selling high quality steels for years.

You don't have to put up with the frustration and financial loss your currently experiencing!!!

Jerry Dragon

Gate City Va.
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2018 12:46 pm    

Tom Campbell wrote:
Jerry,

Save up for the type of steel guitar you really want.

Check the "links" site on the upper right corner of this page for a list of reputable pedal steel guitar builders. Or...there are a number of "well-known" used steel guitar dealers on this Forum that have been selling high quality steels for years.

You don't have to put up with the frustration and financial loss your currently experiencing!!!

Are you saying the Remmington D10 is not a decent guitar for the money? Since I don't play I don't really know? I am 66, once any guitar I buy gets where it is going it isn't getting moved again. I am not playing out any longer, so weight is not an issue. If it is still available the second week of August when I go to Vermont I think I will at least check it out.

Tom Campbell

Houston, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2018 3:29 pm    

Jerry

Ironically my first steel was a Remington D-10; built right here in Houston, TX by Herb Remington.

It is a very sturdy, well built steel guitar. I eventually migrated to a U-12 Sierra. If you plan on not moving it around a lot the Remington just might be what your looking for. Pick it up, flip it over, walk a few steps with it and determine then weight issue.

Jerry Dragon

Gate City Va.
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2018 4:08 am    

anyone ever hear from Carl or get their money back etc?
Is he still a member here?

Jerry Dragon

Gate City Va.
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2018 4:08 am    

Tom Campbell wrote:
Jerry

Ironically my first steel was a Remington D-10; built right here in Houston, TX by Herb Remington.

It is a very sturdy, well built steel guitar. I eventually migrated to a U-12 Sierra. If you plan on not moving it around a lot the Remington just might be what your looking for. Pick it up, flip it over, walk a few steps with it and determine then weight issue.

once the guitar I buy gets set up it will probably never move from there again lol.

Wade Blaker

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2018 8:45 am     Carl Heatley

Jerry,

Spoke with Carl on the phone on 6/27. He said he was working on my project. We spoke a few minutes about various things. At the end of the conversation he requested that I text him my address so he would know where to ship the Steel.

I have until August 20th to file a claim with PayPal and at least get back a portion of the $1200 I sent him. If I don't hear from him or see the Steel by August 1st, I will start the claim process. I will update as things progress.

Jerry Dragon

Gate City Va.
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2018 10:38 am    

I was just contacted by another person who is waiting for their guitar.

Andy DePaule

Saigon, Viet Nam & Springfield, Oregon
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2018 11:02 am     Sad story, but some people....

Sad story, but some people are just crooked by nature.
It's the old thing of "If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is to good to be true".

On the other hand, with just a couple of exceptions the people on the forum are very honest.

I had also been talking to a person who was offering a great deal on a custom build. Later some others warned of issues they had with the fellow so I spent more and had it done by Mullen. Cost more but was exactly what I wanted. Very Happy
Magnatone Jeweltone Series Lap Steel, Circa 1950? 6 String with F#minor7th Tuning.
1956 Dewey Kendrick D-8 4&3, Restoration Project.
1973 Sho~Bud Green SD-10 4&5 PSG, Restoration Project.

Chris Robbins

Biggsville Illinois
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2018 1:31 pm     justice

This seems to shed bad light on one man operations and i have to say not all one man operations are this way I have bought more than one guitar from Fred Justice and could not have found a more honest and decent man to build me a guitar let alone the fact he builds great guitars.There are great one man builders and Fred Justice is one of them.If your looking for a custom built guitar you never need to worry about Fred