The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  stiff tone control pot - fender stringmaster
Andy Keen

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2018 11:42 am    

I have a stiff pot for the tone control on my D8 stringmaster and I'm not sure if I need to replace it or if there's anything I can do to loosen it up a little. It's hard to twist. I'd like to be able to use it for the BOOWAH effect (see here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaCb6GL5Gp4).

If I have to replace the pot, Is there a specific brand I should look for? Any recommendations where to source it? Soldering isn't my favorite pastime...

Thanks for looking

Brad Davis

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2018 12:04 pm    

First thing to try might be some contact cleaner. Hosa Deoxit Gold is one that gets mentioned, although I'm not sure how well it really cleans anything. Spray a little inside the pot and twist to clean and perhaps more importantly lubricate. Then if you still have problems its easy enough to source a replacement pot.

Depending on how serious you are about boo-wah the pot you have may not be the best one for that purpose anyway, but try cleaning it first.

Blake Hawkins

Florida
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2018 12:18 pm    

You don't need to take the pot out. Just put one drop of penetrating oil on the shaft and let it soak in.
Then replace the knob and work it back and forth.
It will loosen up and work OK. It is also possible to use
any light machine oil such as that sold for sewing machines.
I use a toothpick to place the oil on the shaft.
One drop is enough to lubricate the shaft without getting
oil in places it should not be.

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2018 12:43 pm    

I've loosened up tight pots using Blake's method and LaBelle No. 107 oil. It's available in hobby shops that deal in electric trains. Be sure not to over-lube; a little dab'll do ya'.

For scratchy-sounding pots, Caig DeoxIT can clean 'em up and bring 'em back to life. Not really a lubricant, however.

Andy Keen

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2018 12:43 pm    

Thanks for the responses guys. I just wanted to update here that I did lubricate it at the base of the shaft just now with this TRI FLOW stuff that I forgot I had for my pedal steel. It loosened right up really quick with just a few drops. I'm back in business.

Thanks again!!

Bill Creller

Saginaw, Michigan, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2018 7:47 pm    

I use the DeOxit and the TRI_FLOW for lots of things. Both work good for what they are for...

Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2018 5:14 pm    

Deoxit D5 and F5 both have a lubricant component that actually works very well for this type of use, especially combined with their corrosion-control components.

Tri Flow is an excellent lubricant but I'd use it very sparingly on pots and keep it out of the contact element areas.

One other note - "contact cleaner" is a wrong term to use when it comes to any product for pots or faders. A "cleaner" will remove the lubricating oils and destroy the pot.

ONLY "cleaner/lubricants" should be used and IMO the term "contact cleaner" not used at all. It could lead (and HAS led) unknowing individuals to use the wrong product and damage their equipment.
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional