The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Recording Steel seems muddy
Greg Lambert

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2018 6:50 pm    

When I use a mic { Berihenger condenser , Peavey Studio ,
Shure 58. Cant figure it out. Going into Zoom R8.

Derby D10 .. Nashville 400 Pre out or 2nd plug on RV5 .

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2018 3:04 am    

There are many "ifs". Placement of mic in reference to the speaker is one. The Zoom is another. Amp EQ setting. And more.

With the Zoom R8, are you recording a "wav" file or an MP3 file? A wav is full fidelity, an MP3 is something less than full fidelity and depending on the MP3 bitrate some are "more less" than full fidelity.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2018 3:42 am    

muddy ? cut the bottom end at 100 hz...start there. It's not the recorder, the mic or the instrument .

This is where our knowledge of the EQ spectrum comes front and center .

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2018 5:03 am    

Start at the source - you haven't described your workspace. The "mud" may be coloration from room reflections. Even an SM57 close to the cone is not immune if a standing wave happens to have a node at that point.

Tony's suggestion of winding some bass out may help superficially, but of course you'll also remove bass you might want to hear.

Greg Lambert

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2018 9:56 am    

I moved my bass to 2 and the shift to 800 plus used my Izzy and this helped immensely for a direct recording! I usually set my shift on 300 when playing out and this gets the sound I want but its a different animal on a recording.

the Izzy really helps with string separation sounds too.

Thanks for the input..

Leroy Golden

Muskegon, Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2018 6:36 am    

Direct in, volume pedal only in the chain, you can usually play around with it as much as you like after.

werner althaus

lincoln, NE
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2018 6:44 pm    

get the amp off the floor and out of the corner if it isn't already, move the mics around to get closer to what you want, THEN use EQ to fine tune.

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2018 12:57 pm    

Fresh strings might help

Dave Stroud

Texas
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2018 8:39 pm    

I'm not an expert... But I wouldn't use a condenser mic in a room that isn't acoustically treated. That can create some muddiness. I acoustically treated our studio room by covering it with GIK bass traps and thick panels, and now condenser mics are much more usable. Going direct through great gear can be good, but that can be pricy too.

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2018 6:22 am    

I use a Shure SM-57 into a Studio Projects pre-amp then in to the Zoom. I had no luck with the mic going direct to the Zoom. Muddy tone and lots of noise from the Zoom pre-amps. The Studio Projects pre-amp has zero detectable noise at any gain setting. It's as good as any higher priced unit I've tried. Love my Zoom for what it does and nothing is perfect.

My setup:

http://www.gregcutshaw.com/Zoom%20R24%20Home%20Studio/Zoom%20R24%20Home%20Studio.html

Studio Projects pre-amp:

https://www.amazon.com/Studio-Projects-VTB1-Microphone-Preamp/dp/B0002E3NQC/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1522506118&sr=8-14&keywords=studio+mic+preamp
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Greg Lambert

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2018 6:18 pm    

Greg Cutshaw wrote:
I use a Shure SM-57 into a Studio Projects pre-amp then in to the Zoom. I had no luck with the mic going direct to the Zoom. Muddy tone and lots of noise from the Zoom pre-amps. The Studio Projects pre-amp has zero detectable noise at any gain setting. It's as good as any higher priced unit I've tried. Love my Zoom for what it does and nothing is perfect.

My setup:

http://www.gregcutshaw.com/Zoom%20R24%20Home%20Studio/Zoom%20R24%20Home%20Studio.html

Studio Projects pre-amp:

https://www.amazon.com/Studio-Projects-VTB1-Microphone-Preamp/dp/B0002E3NQC/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1522506118&sr=8-14&keywords=studio+mic+preamp

That preamp is pretty slick. I really like the insert on the unit. I was using a studio Channel by presonus till it went out. Nothing but hiss from it now. They want $175 to repair it. No thanks , It only lasted a couple of years. I paid $299 for the unit. When it worked it was great.