The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Trip to Nashville. Looking to watch and learn.
Nicholas Scott

Norfolk, VA USA
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2018 12:23 pm    

Hey Everybody! My band recently got picked to play the Nashville Predators game on March 13th. I'm going to be down there the 12th-15th. Where should I go to hear some great players? I'm planning on doing a lot of watching/learning. Thanks!

Kyle Everson

Nashville, Tennessee
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2018 10:27 pm    

Hi Nicholas! As a huge preds fan, i have to say i'm very jealous. I play Tuesdays 6-10 at Legends Corner with Vince Moreno. It's right across the street from Bridgestone Arena. Feel free to stop by after the game. I believe Tyler Hall plays most Tuesdays as well. Maybe he can chime in to let you know for sure.
Hope you guys have fun at the hockey game. It's the best arena in the NHL (but i might be biased).
Kyle

P.S.- I think Tom Killen plays with Vince on Mondays at Nashville Crossroads. 6-10. Be sure to check that out.

David Cubbedge

Toledo,Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2018 9:31 am    

When I was in Nashville last September to see the Time Jumpers, our time spent on Broadway was good only for drinking booze. I saw absolutely ZERO PSG in the bars and no fiddles either. Bands were playing a mix of new country (which has no PSG) and blues like ZZTop and Skynyrd. Doesn't mean they're not there and maybe I just didn't look hard enough. Next time I go, I'm headed to the Opryland area - I think I'll have better luck hearing country music there.
Red Emmons D10 fatback #2246D with sweet Hugh Briley split cases, Black Emmons S10 #1466S, '73 Fender "Snakeskin" Twin Reverb, Peavey Nashville 400, Line 6 Pod XT, Fender 400, Fender Stringmaster Double-8, too many guitars, one bass!

Dick Sexton

Greenville, Ohio
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2018 6:12 am     Check out....

Mike Sweeneys facebook page...

https://www.facebook.com/michael.sweeney.798?hc_ref=ARTeagTH_A84Iq04VOMKNHMPICMlMaXT6YGftmu73vjplb8kNUOudn5-_keQSu96m_c&fref=nf

He usually tell where he is playing.

Kyle Everson

Nashville, Tennessee
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2018 9:15 pm    

David, you're correct that a lot of Broadway bands play rock and newer country. You kinda have to know who you want to see down there if you want classic country. Luckily it's still there, especially daytime. If you wind up in Opryland, the Music City Bar & Grill is a great place to hear country music and steel.

scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2018 11:38 pm    

Robert's downtown and Nashville Palace by Opryland are my go-to's. same owner I believe, go figure.

there are other spots as well but I'm not as familiar as many here

Bob Ricker

Nashville Tn
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2018 1:13 pm    

Don Kelly Band at Roberts has a great new guitar player. The Nashville Palace Band at the Nashville Palace, Third and Lindsley on Mondays, Station Inn especially Mondays but check the schedule for others. You can check the Music section of the "Scene" news paper online. A good Jazz place "Rudys" in town. Brent Mason has a show coming up. May want to check out some facebook pages.

Chris Bauer

Nashville, TN USA
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2018 5:44 pm    

Sorry that I'll be on the road when you're here but do give Broadway a try. Sometimes there's plenty of steel to hear, especially between Robert's, Layla's, Second Fiddle, and (sometimes) AJs.

Today after I played at Layla's, Tyler Hall played and Eddie Lang was next door at the same time at Second Fiddle. That's two doses of serious steel playing right there.

As the others have said, good bets are The Nashville Palace and Music City Bar and Grill (both across form the Opryland Hotel) as well.