The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Locate Software?
Sonny Jenkins

Texas Masonic Retirement Center,,,Arlington Tx
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2018 7:25 am    

I would like to install some practice tracks from windows media (XP home) onto an old LG306G cell phone that I have. When I hook it up via USB it says it cannot find the software to complete,,or I guess synchronize with each other. Not sure what to search for or how how to complete this endeavor???

Dave Potter

Texas
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2018 8:15 am    

I found the manual for that phone here.

Page 58 of the manual refers to transferring music from PC to the phone:

Quote:
"Music Player
Drag and drop music using your phone as a mass storage device

1. Make sure the microSDâ„¢ card is inserted properly into the phone.
2. Connect the phone to a PC using a USB data cable.
3. Your computer will detect and install the phone automatically.
4. Touch OK when prompted on the device and access My Computer on the PC.
5. The phone’s memory card will be listed under “Removable Disk” in the same location as an optical drive. NOTE: The PC will automatically assign a drive letter.
6. Browse in a new window for desired music files.
7. Drag and drop the desired music content from the PC window to the “Removable Disk” window.
8. Touch Exit on the phone and disconnect the USB cable."

Item 3 above promises that "your computer will detect and install the phone automatically". We know that XP wasn't stellar about automatic driver installs - you might watch for that and help it if it has a problem doing it. If you get that far, the rest should be relatively easy to do. The main thing is that your PC needs to be communicating with the phone's microSD card as a "mass storage device", which should appear in Windows Explorer as a new drive letter.

Sonny Jenkins

Post  Posted 26 Feb 2018 8:46 am    

Hey Dave my friend,,,man, I must be getting smarter or calling a truce between me and technology,,,,I think I've figured it out! I've loaded all,,,probably about 50 tracks of Jeff Newman's Honky Tonk Heros CDs, onto this old LG cell phone,,,seems to be working OK. There is a WHOLE LOT of practice material here that I can carry in my shirt pocket,,,LOL

Dave Potter

Texas
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2018 9:02 am    

Sonny Jenkins wrote:
I think I've figured it out! I've loaded all,,,probably about 50 tracks of Jeff Newman's Honky Tonk Heros CDs, onto this old LG cell phone,,,seems to be working OK. There is a WHOLE LOT of practice material here that I can carry in my shirt pocket,,,LOL

Great, Sonny. I did the same thing a while back, used an old cell phone as a music player that I plugged into my jobsite radio boombox outside for when I was out there doing stuff. Worked pretty good till the phone finally quit. Shocked

Sonny Jenkins

Post  Posted 26 Feb 2018 9:31 am    

This seems to work REALLY well!!! This is an ideal size phone to do this with,,,and great sound. Wonder why your phone died?

Dave Potter

Texas
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2018 9:42 am    

Sonny Jenkins wrote:
Wonder why your phone died?

I was never sure. It just got to where it refused to power up, even though the battery was charged. Oh, well, nothing lasts forever.

I can use my current phone for that now, but I try to avoid abusing it banging around in my EZGO I use for working outside.