The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  For those thinking of moving to Austin...
Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2018 2:00 pm    

... read this article on why Dale Watson is moving to Memphis TN.

https://www.savingcountrymusic.com/dale-watsons-move-to-memphis-should-be-major-wake-up-call-to-austin-music/

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Larry Schoppe

Lake Jackson, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2018 5:48 pm    

Wow! Interesting read.

gary pierce

Rossville TN
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2018 6:43 pm    

Thats awesome news, hope he does some gigs here.

Brooks Montgomery

Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2018 9:32 pm    

I wonder about the rest of his band. Don Pawlak also moving?

Bob Watson

Champaign, Illinois, U.S.
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2018 10:40 pm    

It's good to hear that the music scene in Memphis is growing in a positive direction. I had a friend of mine that moved there around 20 years ago and he was very disappointed.

Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 26 Feb 2018 9:22 am    

But how long before Memphis "gentrifies?"

Bill Kellum

Water Valley, MS
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2018 12:31 pm    

gary pierce wrote:
Thats awesome news, hope he does some gigs here.

I see photos on Facebook my Memphis friends post of him playing at Murphy's every once and a while.

gary pierce

Rossville TN
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2018 7:19 pm    

Thanks, My wife is watching Facebook for me, I don't care for it.

Brooks Montgomery

Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2018 7:25 pm    

Don't care for Facebook or Memphis?
I'm with you re: Facebook Cool

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2018 8:28 am    

Barry Blackwood wrote:
But how long before Memphis "gentrifies?"

I'd guess another 10-20 years. Once the fans of R&B and old rock 'n roll music have passed on, those genres will fade away in much the same way that classic country faded away back in the '70s.

gary pierce

Rossville TN
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2018 11:51 am    

Brooks Montgomery wrote:
Don't care for Facebook or Memphis?
I'm with you re: Facebook Cool

Facebook, I've been here 66 years, and grew up in Graceland, also built Elvis's garage out back.

Bobby Snell

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2018 1:18 pm    

The apocalyptic tone of the article was amusing...Herb, how many artists have you seen moving away from Austin the last 30 years? I dig Dale (one of the hardest working men in show biz) and wish him well, but not sure of the impact on us here.

Austin's still a good place if you're a young musician who can work a crappy day job while learning the craft, and some sidemen get gigs when big acts come through town. And there is a lot of interesting stuff in different genres to enjoy any night and many afternoons.

BTW, in the past I've been fortunate to gig in Memphis numerous time, and always had a blast.

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2018 2:04 pm    

In the last 30 years... hmmm. Can't think of one. I do remember Michael Martin Murphey leaving town in 1974, because that's when I started with Alvin Crow. Who hasn't left town BTW. Come see us at the Spoke Mar. 31 Wink

Actually, some of the funnest and wildest gigs I was on with Alvin were at Bad Bob's in Memphis, one of Jerry Lee's watering holes. That was a crazy club. Robby Turner was 13 years old and playing a D-12 Sho~Bud Professional in the house band.

But back on topic, Dale moving away is not like some alt-whatever White Horse act leaving town to make it big. Dale is one of the most visible artists to live here. Marketing brilliance, he created a genre that now has made a mark on two cities.

Only Ray Benson moving from Austin would be a more significant event. Or maybe not.

Now, would it have any impact on pickers that work the clubs in Austin? Well, only that the number of gigs Dale did will be picked up by other acts who have the cojones and skills to market themselves. Weldon Henson is one who could benefit from Dale's departure.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Chris Templeton

The Green Mountain State
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2018 11:21 am    

I'm not sure what cajones has to do with marketing, but with all the gentrification that is going on all over the country, it seems to me that music scenes are being replaced by individual people and families that are content staying home and staring at a 'puter screen.

Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 2 Mar 2018 2:17 pm    

Quote:
I'm not sure what cajones has to do with marketing, but with all the gentrification that is going on all over the country, it seems to me that music scenes are being replaced by individual people and families that are content staying home and staring at a 'puter screen.

Makes me glad I grew up before all that happened... Oh Well

Art Beard

Once upon a time out west (deceased)
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2018 9:06 pm     Things change

Bobby Bare's latest tells it all IMHO, times have changed. SADLY again in my opinion. I left Phoenix in 1990 and recently went back to the area for the SWSGA show. I was completely amazed at the overgrowth changes affecting the old central part of town where I raised a lot of cain, in my drinking days. 4 of 5 haunts had the buildings torn down. Some for parking lots. J.D.;s where Waylon use to play became a waterbed factory before I left. Mr. Lucky is closed up tight. Harry's Capri went Hispanic, as well as Riverside ballroom years ago. Glad I moved out by the time thetime the growth went nutso. But it kept chasing me out of even small towns as they grew.
GAS -1969 ZB D11/10,1974 Sho-Bud D10 Professional,1975 Speedy West S10, 150 yr okd Barn Board tele, Beard signature Gold Tone Dean Acoustic/Electric Bass, Tennessee 12 string Bass, 3 String Shovel.2 Fiddles., Sho-Bud amp, Epiphone valve special amp, Fishman loudbox artist amp.