The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  MARLEN,& SPEEDY WEST steel guitar list
Art Beard

Once upon a time out west (deceased)
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2018 8:15 pm    

Whoa! Since I could not find a list of the Fine guitars built by Stadler steel Guitars, I decided to start a list with the s/n and pics if possible. Thanks for adding to the list..CAA

My 1975 Speedy West is #98, a 3/3 S10 lacquer, Red/Cream that I will post pic of asap.
Does anyone know what Speedy might have required to his steels different from Marlen ??
GAS -1969 ZB D11/10,1974 Sho-Bud D10 Professional,1975 Speedy West S10, 150 yr okd Barn Board tele, Beard signature Gold Tone Dean Acoustic/Electric Bass, Tennessee 12 string Bass, 3 String Shovel.2 Fiddles., Sho-Bud amp, Epiphone valve special amp, Fishman loudbox artist amp.

Last edited by Art Beard on 1 Mar 2018 8:07 pm; edited 2 times in total

David Ball

North Carolina High Country
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2018 3:48 am    

Mine is a Marlen 3-10 with 11 and 3. From what I understand about Marlen serial numbers, I think it was built in 1968--the serial number is 310 638691. Very nice sunburst lacquer. I'll post a pic when I can.

Dave

Last edited by David Ball on 25 Feb 2018 9:52 am; edited 1 time in total

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2018 8:36 am    

I don't see your serial number?? What makes you think yours is a 1975?? You won't find a huge list of the Speedy West Marlen's as it was just an endorsement by Speedy to Leonard; that he will endorse the Marlen; but he has to put "Speedy West" on the front of the guitar. There was nothing different of the Custom made Speedy West Marlen than a Custom made Marlen> Same builder; same parts; same models.
I didn't write anything down...but I understood when Leonard told me about the endorsement time was just several years starting very late 60's(1969 I believe) and 3 or 4 years into the 70's. I had a old Speedy West Pedal Steel, Gary Carpenter gave me long ago...I sold it to b0b Lee....Hey b0b; you still have pictures??
Ricky

Dick Sexton

Greenville, Ohio
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2018 8:53 am     Marlen Serial Number...

S10 3/4 All Pull #1473891 wood grain mica, E9th Emmons

richard burton

Britain
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2018 9:30 am    

1966 D10, converted to SD10

Art Beard

Post  Posted 25 Feb 2018 9:37 am     Speedy West steel

The serial# 895791 of my Speedy West S10 leads me to believe it is the 98th built in 1975. Just a guess as I have not been able to trace info. Which is why I started this post, to make such a list and share history of the make. Thanks for any help Ricky.CAA
GAS -1969 ZB D11/10,1974 Sho-Bud D10 Professional,1975 Speedy West S10, 150 yr okd Barn Board tele, Beard signature Gold Tone Dean Acoustic/Electric Bass, Tennessee 12 string Bass, 3 String Shovel.2 Fiddles., Sho-Bud amp, Epiphone valve special amp, Fishman loudbox artist amp.

Edward Rhea

Medford Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2018 12:09 pm    

I no longer have this...

Last edited by Edward Rhea on 14 Mar 2018 3:58 pm; edited 1 time in total

Art Beard

Post  Posted 25 Feb 2018 6:52 pm     Speedy West S10 #98

Dave Ball that's a beauty, as are all listed so far. Triple neck must have been one of a kind at the time. I just withdrew mine from the market. Don't want to regret the sale as so many have done. Crying or Very sad
There went my theory, If Davd's is the 63rd of 1968 and Ed's is 44th of 1971 does that mean they were producing that many MARLEN'S?? I think the serial numbers on the Speedy West steels when for the total production ! >>?? Thanks for the input. CAA Very Happy Very Happy Whoa! Question Question
As list grows, we will know more ! !!

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2018 7:21 pm    

Yes reading the serial number backwards give you the "Year" and then "day" and "month"....NOT the number steel it is of that year. Marlen; was truly a Custom made Pedal steel; like the Sho~bud; they were made to order...not particularly just to stock up...ha.
Ricky

Art Beard

Post  Posted 26 Feb 2018 12:04 am     Speedy West & Marlen steels

Ricky, do you think that there would be a Marlen with the same # as mine??? Both the 9th steel of the sequence of that day of their Brand.?? Does someone have #895791 Marlen??
It would seem possible. And is it possible that #0015791 is the Last Speedy West?? That would make #1008691 the first.
The Speedy West model I have doesn't have the plate just the vibro penciled # on the end plate. CAA Whoa!

Art Beard

Post  Posted 26 Feb 2018 12:14 am     Speedy West & Marlen steels

As I am electronically challenged, could someone pull the Picture of my steel and serial number pic from my ad and post it here. thanks CAA

Art Beard

Post  Posted 26 Feb 2018 3:44 am     Speedy West and Marlen steels

Ricky, you've exposed my"COWBOY MENTALITY" again. Laughing Have to re-think theory now, lol
Thanks CAA

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2018 4:12 am    

Bought this on the forum at a great price while Marlens were going very cheap.. It was a 3+3, no brand logo on the apron, and it has been refinished.. I do believe it might have been one of those red/white/blue models that had faded. I was lucky to find a NOS pedal, Knee lever, apron logo, and all needed pull parts VERY reasonably from the gentleman in Virginia that worked for Leonard Stadtler builing Marlen guitars.. Nice guy, helped me a lot, forgot his name..
Its a great guitar in every way except serviceability.
What a pain in the ass to work on. P/R of course. However, it NEVER had to be touched again, once the pedal ,lever and my backward copedent was installed.. Steady as rock, never out of tune anywhere, for months and months on end, and the strings have been on it for about 5 years,- that includes a LOT of home playtime , gigs, shows, rehearsals, recording dates, etc etc, and it has NEVER broken a string, not even a high G#.. Not ONE... These are VERY good guitars, and clean S10 models are going for a lot more money than they used to.

I post pics here of it every few years, when a Marlen thread pops up.

I have had more requests from steel players asking to sell this Marlen, than any other pedal steel I have submitted pics for, and that includes some very nice old Sho Buds... Mr Stadler built a very well constructed, very rugged, dependable, easy playing, great looking, great sounding pedal steel guitar that stayed in tune.. I am pleased he gets recognition for that on these pages from time to time.. bob

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......

Scott Duckworth

Etowah, TN Western Foothills of the Smokies
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2018 3:23 pm    

I resurrected D-10W serial # 157791 and regret I ever sold it...

I may, in fact, be nuts. However, I am screwed onto the right bolt... Jesus!

Art Beard

Post  Posted 26 Feb 2018 11:27 pm     Speedy West & Marlen steels

My gosh Scott, I can see why. That is one beautiful steel. Such a great piece of wood. Then with the Marlen mechanics it had to be wonderful. This list will grow and keep going, I hope , like the ZB N Sho-Bud lists. A tribute to Mr, Stadler annd his great engineering and steels.
CAA

Jay Carroll

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2018 11:29 am     Marlen Special Keyless

Marlen Special Keyless

Art Beard

Post  Posted 6 Mar 2018 9:11 pm     Speedy West & Marlen steel guitars

Woe so many nice ones. Dont forget S/N's
CAA

Art Beard

Post  Posted 10 Mar 2018 9:12 pm     Marlen and Speedy West list

I wonder how much drool a key board can take???

Jeffrey Shu

Winston-Salem, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2018 6:11 am    

Bob Carlucci wrote:
pull parts VERY reasonably from the gentleman in Virginia that worked for Leonard Stadtler builing Marlen guitars.. Nice guy, helped me a lot, forgot his name..

If it was in Salem, VA, I'm betting it's Mike Calaway - super-duper nice guy who built my 2001 Marlen and has worked on it a few times to boot.

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2018 6:44 am    

Jeffrey Shu wrote:
Bob Carlucci wrote:
pull parts VERY reasonably from the gentleman in Virginia that worked for Leonard Stadtler builing Marlen guitars.. Nice guy, helped me a lot, forgot his name..

If it was in Salem, VA, I'm betting it's Mike Calaway - super-duper nice guy who built my 2001 Marlen and has worked on it a few times to boot.

yes thats who it was.. he magically had about everything I needed at that time, and he was beyond fair in what he charged me.. Really inexpensive, considering the rarity of NOS Marlen parts.. matter of fact, I might have gotten the last of some of the items he had.. Helped me a lot as well.. I hope all is well with him.... bob

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......

Jay Carroll

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2018 1:39 pm     Mike C.

I talked to Mike on the phone about a year ago. He had rewound a pickup for me 35 years ago .I had his phone number written down from then and when I called it (to my surprise) it was still his home phone.

Thiel Hatt

Utah, USA
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2018 3:52 pm    

Before I moved bsck to Utah after retirement i traveled North Carolina on business which took me into Reidsville. There I got to know Leonard Stadler quite well. I often stopped at his shop there. I couple of times I went to the
church where he played a couple of times and got to play his personal guitar there by invitation. By that time he was building a guitar with an all pull changer (triple raise/ double lower). I never owned one of his guitars but found them to be equal to the top brands of that time. By the way he played the Day set up on the E9th, which suited me fine because that's what I've always used. Affter he had his heart attack I went to the hospital to visit him. He passed away just a short time after that. I neat guy. Humble and sincere. A positive influence in the PedalSteel guitar world that touched my life.

Jeffrey Shu

Winston-Salem, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2018 6:10 pm     Marlen

Mike Calaway built this one for Marlen - he contracted with Stadler for years. He's done some work on it since, switching from Day to Emmons and adding an up left knee. The best part - if I stop by, I get to listen to him play!

Don't remember the name of the original owner, but sure am glad to have this one.

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2018 11:25 pm     Re: Marlen

Jeffrey Shu wrote:
Mike Calaway built this one for Marlen - he contracted with Stadler for years.

Jeffrey, the serial number on your guitar doesn’t seem to follow the same backwards Year/Month/Day scheme as the others posted here - unless I’m missing something. Is it because Mr. Calaway had his own serial number system?

Jerry Van Hoose

Wears Valley, Tennessee
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2018 2:33 pm    

My first guitar, a new Marlen D10, direct from Leonards shop in Reidsville, late 60's.