The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  First observation, E9 vs X6
Jeffrey McFadden

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2018 3:43 pm    

One of the things about C6 which I have found dissatisfying is the difficulty of getting various inversions of chords. Yes, it's doable, but... there is a certain sameness, a certain "church hymn" sound to it.

After only two days messing with E9 I'm already finding a bunch more inversions readily available and the ability to change the flavor of a given easy progression. I am very pleased with the potential I see here.

And I haven't even scratched the surface of available harmonies. I mean: two days, right?

Glad I bit the bullet. Smile

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2018 3:53 pm    

My sentiments exactly! Inverting chords without having to change grips is what makes the E9th so versatile when playing music based (mostly) on major chords.

Brint Hannay

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2018 5:32 pm    

Agreed, but not only that--having multiple inversions at a given fret by using different grips, too.

Rick Abbott

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2018 7:20 pm    

Spend a few minutes with the E-raise lever. Play a G-chord with 8-6-5 on the 3rd fret. Slide up to 6 with the A pedal and E-raise (F-lever) and slide up to the 10th fret A and B pedals down, all one motion. Magic. Eventually.
Sho~Bud D-10 Professional #7962
Remington T-8, Wakarusa 5e3 clone
1953 Stromberg-Carlson AU-35

Jeffrey McFadden

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2018 7:38 pm    

Rick Abbott wrote:
Spend a few minutes with the E-raise lever. Play a G-chord with 8-6-5 on the 3rd fret. Slide up to 6 with the A pedal and E-raise (F-lever) and slide up to the 10th fret A and B pedals down, all one motion. Magic. Eventually.

I'll keep this post for Saturday - tomorrow I teach (literacy tutor) and then at night I jam with two old geezers I've been playing with since we were kids. I will, of course, be breaking out the pedal steel. They've been warned.
Brint Hannay wrote:
Agreed, but not only that--having multiple inversions at a given fret by using different grips, too.

That's what was talking about - run E's across the neck, then step on B&C and get an A, then regrip into a B - I was finding a bunch of that stuff tonight - I'm in love.

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2018 11:18 pm    

I find it equally interesting exploring the E9 neck for the same voicing at different locations (different grips).

For example, a simple G major inversion 5-1-3 can be found at fret 3 on strings 5-4-3, no pedals. With pedals and levers, there are 6 other ways of playing the same inversion, in the same octave range. And also one other way with no pedals.

I think there is a Lloyd Green’s quote about playing any lick or chord at least 3 different ways, being a great way to really learn the neck.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2018 3:14 am    

One of the frequent things I see from lap steel players coming over to pedals is that it doesn't work right or want to reinvent the wheel. Think of the Pedal Steel as a totally new instrument and you will get further. Wanting a Pedal steel to play like a lap steel is a total waste of a good Pedal Steel. When I went from the old Oahu lap to a pedal steel I wanted to play pedal steel licks, not what I had played on the Oahu.

Chris Walke

St Charles, IL
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2018 7:35 am     Re: First observation, E9 vs X6

Jeffrey McFadden wrote:
One of the things about C6 which I have found dissatisfying is the difficulty of getting various inversions of chords. Yes, it's doable, but... there is a certain sameness, a certain "church hymn" sound to it.

After only two days messing with E9 I'm already finding a bunch more inversions readily available and the ability to change the flavor of a given easy progression. I am very pleased with the potential I see here.

And I haven't even scratched the surface of available harmonies. I mean: two days, right?

Glad I bit the bullet. Smile

E9 is amazing...I'm a few years in, and still the more I play it, the more I realize how logical this tuning is. Not that I play it to its potential yet - I'll spend a lifetime, because nearly every time I learn a new song, I have some sort of a revelation in regards to pedal/lever/position choices.

Rick Abbott

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2018 7:45 am    

I heard someone say about the E9 neck, but meant C6 too, "one neck, one lifetime."

It's a deep well...but mine's only 30' deep and hand-dug, so far Muttering
Sho~Bud D-10 Professional #7962
Remington T-8, Wakarusa 5e3 clone
1953 Stromberg-Carlson AU-35

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2018 8:11 am    

There's a ton of 6th sounds on the E9th neck. Things like half pedaling the A pedal, lowering the 9th string a half tone, using the B&C pedals with string 9 (A&B for Day setup), raising the 7th string a full tone, lowering the 5th string a half tone, etc, make the tuning more versatile than it first appears to be.

I put together a page full of these ideas:

http://www.gregcutshaw.com/C6th%20On%20E9th/C6th%20On%20E9th.html
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2018 8:17 am    

We Day players still refer to the pedal that raises 5 & 10 to C# as the "A" pedal. Day setup is CBA.

Sonny Jenkins

Texas Masonic Retirement Center,,,Arlington Tx
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2018 8:44 am    

Yes Richard,,,CBA! Jeff Newman, even though he played a universal, was a MASTER at milking triads, pieces of triads, as well as extended chords out of E9set up,,,using for the most part 3 pedals and 2 (maybe 3) knee levers. Look at his Gospel course,,,,AMAZING on every page!!!! Great CLEAN triads,,,,then unbelievable tension chords.

Jeffrey McFadden

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2018 9:31 am    

Richard Sinkler wrote:
We Day players still refer to the pedal that raises 5 & 10 to C# as the "A" pedal. Day setup is CBA.

This thought was hovering around the edges of my mind. Thanks for clarifying it for me! Mr. Green

Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2018 9:49 am    

FWIW I came from a different "school of thought" - years of dobro and 6-string...including a ton of "b-bender"...all influenced by Clarence White and Sneaky Pete.

Sneaky specifically recommended playing single notes - not chords, not two-note harmonies; and Clarence played a hybrid picking style that (except for his bluegrass playing) rarely included playing a whole chord.

I've played that way since about 1972. And when I first tried to play pedal steel it was an E9 train wreck. I kept trying though. Different guitars - still didn't "get" it.

Finally got a Fender to fool with tuned to A6 and things instantly made more sense when playing single notes (i.e. 3-note...and 2-note...("banjo rolls"). Then tried it in C6 and THAT made sense. It wasn't the lack of the "chromatic" strings, it was the other 8.

And when I finally decided to try Sneaky's B6 - which uses a different string order than D6 (if it were simply tuned up a half-step). everything was exponentially easier.

Different copedents may work better for players not playing traditional pedal steel.

It did for me. Now, after many years of playing, I really suck at it but I'm not frustrated or pissed at the guitar.

Laughing
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2018 1:44 pm    

Are we expecting seasoned C6th players and Pros to chime in ?

They are two different tuning's. Doesn't much matter which one you decide to nestle down with.

There are some things sitting simply right in front of you on that dang C6th that will take crazy amounts of energy to create on the E9th, but of course if we don't know what they are or where they are, how we would know ?

The C6th, 5 pedal tuning with 2 , 3 or 5 levers is nothing short of simply brilliant. But it is not PLAYED the same as an E9th tuning. IF we are trying to play them the same way physically, especially right hand wise we will not win the battle. Its not an AB Pedal type of thing and it's not supposed to be. Thats why we have two commonly accepted standard Pedal Steel tuning's.

Thats why we have D10 Pedal Steel Guitars !

The conversation is stating that with a lever on the E9th we can make some nice changes. TRUE.

Is that not the same as having perhaps 5 levers on the C6th, to make embellishments or changes ? Or is this only only true on the E9th ? OR is it that we are not familiar enough with the lower 10 to release the power ?

I'm reading above that many love the common E9th grips, ok, me too, but we do know that there is a 9th string and a 7th string right ? Those are not part of any common grip. Then it seems weekly we get questions about what to do with that silly 2nd string. IF we are happy living in the common grip world , 10,8,6...8,6,5...6,5,4....5,4,3... then it's a good life but it's not a complete life. To expand our knowledge we have to change grips, just like on the C6th.

Use the back roads to get to the grocery store, the scenery is different.

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Last edited by Tony Prior on 24 Feb 2018 2:26 am; edited 5 times in total

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2018 2:02 am    

Many years back I posted the famous turn for Night Life played on the E9th. I spent many hours dialing it in, it was darn close. I felt pretty good that I worked it out. A few days later I got contacted by one of the resident pro's, I'll leave the name out but we all know who he is. He told me that he enjoyed my work up of Night Life on the E9th , he complimented me for my ambition and ability to do it, I felt pretty good. THEN, he dropped the bomb and said, imagine if you spent that energy on the C6th tuning, where that phrase COMES FROM and is laying right in front of you ,using very little energy, rather than spending hours working it out on the E9th ? I laughed and agreed.

The E9th is for certain capable of many things , we all know this to be true. But if we are attempting to play pieces using large amounts of energy and movements over playing the same thing downstairs on the C6th , which requires very little energy , maybe we should rethink what we are doing.

I am not by any stretch an accomplished C6th tuning player, dangerous is the word I would use. Over the past few months I was forced to stay home and I decided to spend time with the lower ten. My good pal John Swain is pretty savvy with the C6th and I would call him it seems daily. I took what I already knew, added some elements that John told me, studied a bit from a Herby Wallace program and 2 or 3 months later, I'm just here to tell you, the light bulb is shining bright.

While many here are wanting to play C6th sounding phrases on the E9th, which is great, me too, I went just the opposite, I'm playing songs that were entirely on the E9th down on the C6th.

It's a different style of playing and execution for certain, unlike the E9th, and we would be remiss by not understanding or recognizing the simplicity of where things lay in relationship to each other.

Why is it we think that the worlds greatest players, Emmons, Chalker, White, Anderson, Jernigan , Charleton, Franklin, Johnson..etc and on and on are such brilliant C6th players that we want to emulate ? They make it look so easy !

Maybe because they are spending time creating the music rather than spending excessive energy reaching the music.

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Jeffrey McFadden

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2018 6:04 am    

Tony Prior wrote:
Are we expecting seasoned C6th players and Pros to chime in ? [much snipped]

I was just commenting, as the title says, on "First impressions". I've been playing C6 lap, no pedals, for some years now. I'll never be a great musician but I please some listeners. I didn't have a clue if I could ever make peace with E9. I have found it much easier and more fun than I expected.

But. I've got a song I do with the band, Louise, by Paul Siebel, which is a 1-2-4-5 progression. (I got my version off Bonnie Raitt. Leo Kottke also recorded it.) I do it in D: D-E-G-A, to suit my vocal range.

Any way I play it on E9 it sucks. The chords are there but the sound isn't. It works absolutely perfectly with C6, no pedals. It's tolerable on the A6 neck my Carter is configured with too.

I don't find D to be an ideal key with E9, at least not yet. (Yet = less than a week, so bear with me here.)

For me, it has been easier to incorporate pedals into E9 because I didn't know how to play it without them. It will require concentration to learn X6 pedals.

I sometimes think of making a bastardized copedent for my A6 neck, to get the pedals to give me what I want most out of the X6 tuning, but I'm not going to do anything to it until I learn to use what is there.

I'm old and my body is decrepit. I would like to wind up toting a single necker. It doesn't look like it's going to happen, at least not from here.

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2018 8:37 am    

One thing E9 won’t do is low register accompaniment, like a guitar or C6 neck. Not unless you have an Extended E9 setup anyway.

There are many ways to play that progression though, including using the 0 fret positions for D, E, G, and A. That will give you the lowest register possible, plus it means you don’t have to watch your bar position while you’re singing. You’ll have to be a good palm blocker though.

Chris Reesor

British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2018 10:23 am    

Sounds to me like you could be a good candidate for a U12, Jeffrey.
How is the back neck on your Carter set up, btw?

Question for Fred T. : What is the 0 fret G maj position you mention?

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2018 10:41 am    

Jeffrey McFadden wrote:
... I've been playing C6 lap, no pedals, for some years now.
I've got a song I do with the band, Louise, by Paul Siebel, which is a 1-2-4-5 progression. (I got my version off Bonnie Raitt. Leo Kottke also recorded it.) I do it in D: D-E-G-A, to suit my vocal range.

Any way I play it on E9 it sucks. The chords are there but the sound isn't. It works absolutely perfectly with C6, no pedals. It's tolerable on the A6 neck my Carter is configured with too.

You may not be aware that the C6th lap steel tuning intervals are there as B6th on the E9th pedal steel. Lower your E strings to D# with the knee lever. B6th is on strings 10, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4 and optionally 1. At the 1st fret, it's exactly the same notes as the C6th lap steel tuning. To play your lap steel parts on E9th, just play everything one fret higher.

I don't know why you have A6th on your Carter's back neck. Is there a reason, or did it just come that way?

Jeffrey McFadden

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2018 12:09 pm    

b0b wrote:
Jeffrey McFadden wrote:
... I've been playing C6 lap, no pedals, for some years now.
I've got a song I do with the band, Louise, by Paul Siebel, which is a 1-2-4-5 progression. (I got my version off Bonnie Raitt. Leo Kottke also recorded it.) I do it in D: D-E-G-A, to suit my vocal range.

You may not be aware that the C6th lap steel tuning intervals are there as B6th on the E9th pedal steel. Lower your E strings to D# with the knee lever. B6th is on strings 10, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4 and optionally 1. At the 1st fret, it's exactly the same notes as the C6th lap steel tuning. To play your lap steel parts on E9th, just play everything one fret higher.

I don't know why you have A6th on your Carter's back neck. Is there a reason, or did it just come that way?

b0b, you are an absolute treasure.
Although I know some theory, this project has shown me just how weak my grasp really is. I do a lot of counting on my fingers.
No, I wasn't aware of the B6 on E9.
It came with the A6, and I decided to keep it at least for the life of one set of strings.
And,BTW, the A6 on my Carter is the front (nearest to me) neck. Is that not the norm?

Brint Hannay

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2018 2:41 pm    

The side of the guitar that faces the audience is customarily referred to as the front. The back neck is the one closest to you (the player).

I think b0b was asking why A6 instead of C6 (the most common 6th tuning on pedal steel).

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2018 4:10 pm    

Chris Reesor wrote:

On my guitar, it is 9-7RKL-5 (D-G-B)

Tony’s post has got me thinking about U12 too. I don’t think I want to lugging a D10 around in my old age.

Jeffrey McFadden

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2018 4:20 pm    

Fred Treece wrote:
Chris Reesor wrote:

On my guitar, it is 9-7RKL-5 (D-G-B)

Tony’s post has got me thinking about U12 too. I don’t think I want to lugging a D10 around in my old age.

I'm already in my old age - 70 - and both combat damaged and years-in-a-trade damaged. I'm seriously thinking about a U-12.

I already can't move this D10 without a two wheeler. Period.

Jeffrey McFadden

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2018 4:23 pm    

Brint Hannay wrote:
The side of the guitar that faces the audience is customarily referred to as the front. The back neck is the one closest to you (the player).

I think b0b was asking why A6 instead of C6 (the most common 6th tuning on pedal steel).

Well, I guess I did belatedly figure out that the neck nearest me is the "back" neck, but thanks, I still wasn't sure.

The reason it's A6 is because somebody made it an A6 and I bought it this way, Mr. Green It's just one more thing to be confused about right now, but I'm adapting. Sorta.