The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Serbian/Italian Translator Needed To Assist W/ Promat Build
Lynn Stafford

Ridgefield, WA USA
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2018 12:53 pm    

I have been enlisted to assemble the last Promat push-pull guitar. It's a left-handed D-10 8x7 for a customer in Texas that ordered it prior to Dusan Papic's passing.

During the past several months I have been using email and Skype to communicate with Mr. Papic's son, Slobodan, who speaks Serbian and apparently Italian but very little English. His friend, Zoran speaks Serbian and some English and has been kind enough to try to help with translation.

As you can imagine, this has been and will continue to be a very challenging situation for me!

I have been sent the majority of the parts I need to assemble this guitar but some were incorrect (right-handed parts, two E9 changers, etc.) and there are still more (missing) parts that need to be sent before I can even start the assembly process.

I'm hoping that someone in our community would be willing and able to help me communicate with Slobodan in Serbia, via email and possibly Skype.

STEEL GUITAR WEST
http://www.steelguitarwest.com
Steel Guitar Technician (Restoration, Set-up, Service and Repair work)

Previous Emmons Authorized Dealer & Service Technician (original factory is now closed)

ZumSteel Authorized Service Technician
----------------------------------

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2018 12:57 pm    

Well, you know, Damir Besic is your man...

Lynn Stafford

Ridgefield, WA USA
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2018 1:57 pm    

Jim Cohen wrote:
Well, you know, Damir Besic is your man...

Jim,

Yes, I thought so too. He's already been asked to help but so far has not been willing. I've contacted him via email and so has his friend, Slobodan. Damir doesn't use Skype and apparently isn't willing to help translate emails between us. I'm hoping he might change his mind about that but I don't want to pester or impose on him, because it's a lot to ask of someone.

STEEL GUITAR WEST

Previous Emmons Authorized Dealer & Service Technician (original factory is now closed)

Larry Bressington

Nebraska
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2018 2:09 pm    

https://youtu.be/69tQMVAEo3E

Not sure if this will help any Lynn.

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2018 2:27 pm    

Lynn, I told you guys to contact Henry Mathews while my Promat was at his shop, and he could have help you out. However, nobody contacted him. I can’t help because I don’t know how to translate technical frases , and Slobodan knows almost nothing about how to built pedal steel. He sent you all the parts he could find, he didn’t even know that E9 changer is different from C6 changer, neither did I . He sent me a list of parts you need, and many of those are nuts and bolts or screws that can be found here at any Home Depot store. I helped all I could, I’m not a pedal steel mechanic, and know almost nothing about mechanics of push pulls. Slobodan can’t send you any more parts because I think he already sent all he had... his father was working on one guitar at the time, and because of that there was never any big stock of parts at the shop. Slobodan couldn’t finish the guitar himself, so I suggested him to pack all the parts he has, and ship it to you, so I believe that you already have all the parts Mr. Papic made for that guitar. Slobodan managed to get pedals done, which I was actually surprised he did. I believe at this point Slobodan has done all he could do without the help of his dad. Promat was not like Sho~Bud with a stored boxes full of parts, it was one man operation, making one guitar at the time, just like Fullawka or some others. I have nothing to do with this guitar, I didn’t even know it was ordered, or anything else. There was many other things going on at Promat I didn’t know anything about, but that was none of my concern anyway. I paid full price for every guitar I received from Promat too. Like I said, it was very small operation. It is my opinion that Slobodan had done all he could do at this point, I know I did.

Lynn Stafford

Ridgefield, WA USA
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2018 4:51 pm    

Hi Damir,

Thanks for chiming in and for your help thus far. It is much appreciated!

I'm friends with Henry and have been in touch with him fairly recently. I really don't see that having your guitar in his possession would really have done me much good, however.

The last time I communicated with Slobodan was several weeks ago. He told me his elderly mother was seriously ill and he felt he should give her his full attention. I respected his wishes and haven't contacted him until this morning, when I sent him a short note to check in.

The list I provided Slobodan actually included much more than just a few metric fasteners. Yes, I agree that those can be bought locally. I wanted to see if any could be provided along with some of the other items I need that he may have in stock. He did mention to me that he thought he might have enough parts left over to possibly build a couple more guitars. In fact, he wondered if I might be interested in working with him down the road. So, if that's true, there just may me some items I could use.

If I can have the help of someone that is familiar with pedal steels properly translate my needs, we may be able to convey to him much better than I've been able to try to do myself.

STEEL GUITAR WEST

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2018 5:04 pm    

see, that’s what I’m talking about, you know more about situation over there then I do, if he has enough parts for couple guitars then he probably sent you a wrong changer, and correct C6 changer is still somewhere in his shop... Slobodan is a great guy, but you will have to teach him and show him what and how to do it, if you guys want to work together... I’m not the best person to translate that stuff, because most of those parts I’m not familiar with.... Henry had my guitar and could have taken some measurements or something down that line I guess... Slobodan emailed me your list, but I didn’t know how I would translate that, and if he wants to continue his fathers work, he will need to learn all those parts anyway....his mother is very sick, I’m aware of that as well, after his Dads passing, and dealing with his elderly, sick mother, I would imagine guitars are not what his mind is on right now...

Mike Vallandigham

Martinez, CA
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2018 8:41 am    

This will be a cool (challenging?)project for you Lynn. Another special feather in your cap.

I just went through a similar adventure with Mitsuo for my new EXCEL. For things that you can't explain, I find that a sketch or photo is the best thing. I made some autoCAD sketches as well as hand drawings.

Like they say, a picture is worth a thousand Serbian words.

Smile

John Ely

Minneapolis Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2018 12:55 pm     Serbian translation

Hey Lynn, I lived in Belgrade, Serbia for two years, 2012-2014. Please check your PM's.
Damir, Serbia is a great place! I never met so many people with so much heart and hospitality. Didn't Mr Dusic live in Nis? I've been there many times, but didn't meet him..
Best,
John

John Ely

Minneapolis Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2018 12:56 pm     Serbia

Sorry, of course I meant Mr Dusan Papic...
John

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2018 1:08 pm     Re: Serbian translation

John Ely wrote:
Hey Lynn, I lived in Belgrade, Serbia for two years, 2012-2014. Please check your PM's.
Damir, Serbia is a great place! I never met so many people with so much heart and hospitality. Didn't Mr Dusic live in Nis? I've been there many times, but didn't meet him..
Best,
John

hi John, Dusan and his family are in Novi Sad, which is a region of Serbia called Vojvodina, a big mix of different nationalities and religions with Serbs being in majority

Lynn Stafford

Ridgefield, WA USA
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2018 7:09 pm    

Larry Bressington wrote:
https://youtu.be/69tQMVAEo3E

Not sure if this will help any Lynn.

Thanks for your idea, Larry. I just might give that a try. I did try to use Google to translate an email a few months ago but Slobodan told me that a lot of it didn't make much sense on his end. I guess some of the words I used just didn't translate too well, even though I tried not to get too technical.

STEEL GUITAR WEST

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2018 2:19 pm    

I don't think Google will be a good solution or help... I remember back when I started playing steel guitar my Dad paid an English teacher to translate Winnie Winstons book, and after she did some work we had to gave up because a lot of her translations didn't make any sense.... often when I talked to Mr.Papic about particular parts, we had a hard time understanding each other, and when he would gave me the name of the part in Serbian, I had no clue what was that he was talking about, he however did know english technical names for some of the parts, so that would help a lot