The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Do you have to play with finger picks on pedal steel??
Bill Miller

Gaspe, Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2018 1:56 pm    

I've been on this forum for 15 years and this picks or no picks discussion keeps rearing its head. The obvious reason is that newbies find the things uncomfortable and awkward...same as I did at first. The inescapable truth is that despite a handful of exceptions, we nearly all use picks because they give the most widely accepted tone. The thing to do is just work with them until they feel natural, which doesn't really take long.

Last edited by Bill Miller on 24 Feb 2018 8:19 am; edited 1 time in total

Rick Schmidt

Prescott AZ, USA
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2018 7:54 am    

Not that such a thing exists anymore, but I can't imagine doing a 5 set/ 5 night a week gig with just fingernails.

Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2018 9:57 am    

Quote:
No matter what one chooses to do in life, sooner or later they're gonna need some tools for the job no matter how awkward they feel at first, don'tcha think?

"Need" being the key word here that ignores the simple fact that not all pedal steel styles- or sounds - create a "need" for picks. If you're tying a knot in a string you use your fingers - not a screwdriver.

Quote:
What we're saying is that learning to use them, first, and then making a conscious and informed decision as to when to use them, or not to use them, is far better.

Why "first"? If the sound and feel you already get on another instrument without picks works fine and you don't plan to play traditional pedal steel why do you need to learn to use them *first*...or at all?

You can make a conscious, rational decision not to use them when their use would be a waste of time.

Not all players have a need to play both ways.

For beginners intending to play traditional styles - yep, picks are pretty much essential. But experienced lap or resonator players that don't use picks - and don't plan on playing traditional pedal steel - may not need them at all.

Quote:
I've heard some very nice bareback solo playing but nothing that would cut through a band or deliver what a singer might expect.

That simply means you probably haven't heard that many "pickless" players work with bands. As mentioned in an earlier post, Kim Deschamps played without picks with the band Blue Rodeo and never had a problem cutting through or backing vocals.

And FWIW players I know who don't use picks do not use fingernails - they use the "meat" of the fingers and thumb. For players that normally use picks it can be a useful alternative - especially on quieter songs by eliminating the sharpness of the picks hitting the strings without the often undesirable "swell" of volume pedal use.

Personally, I use picks about 90% of the time - mainly because of my background in bluegrass resonator and banjo. I don't "need" them for pedal steel but are simply used to them. However, there are times I've played specific songs or entire gigs without them.

If it seems I'm playing a bit of "Devil's advocate" - I am. Sometimes the focus among many pedal steel players is very narrow - not a "fault", just something that "is". But there *are* other ways of doing things that work just fine.
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2018 10:04 am    

Donny Hinson wrote:
...I think that you'd agree that most ANY player would probably be better off being able to play both ways!

With all due respect, the flaw in that argument is that 99% of pick-players (myself included) haven't made any effort to learn to play the "other way" so that they'd have a choice of technique...

Bryan Staddon

Buffalo,New York,
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2018 8:06 pm     He could be on too something!

As previously mentioned most steel players use picks,myself included. Most guitar players also use picks,myself included. But then there’s Jeff Beck,no picks and he’s probably the most unique electric guitarist ever. Hmmmmmm......maybe we should think about this?

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2018 8:12 pm     Re: He could be on too something!

Bryan Staddon wrote:
But then there’s Jeff Beck,no picks and he’s probably the most unique electric guitarist ever. Hmmmmmm......maybe we should think about this?

Absolutely. Good question is does one wish to be unique (which is a great thing) or does one wish to work for Johnny Bush (which is a completely 'nuther thing)...

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2018 7:59 am    

Jim Cohen wrote:
Donny Hinson wrote:
...I think that you'd agree that most ANY player would probably be better off being able to play both ways!

With all due respect, the flaw in that argument is that 99% of pick-players (myself included) haven't made any effort to learn to play the "other way" so that they'd have a choice of technique...

Buddy Emmons played without picks for a short while. (Bummer when that 1% of yours and mine is a steel-god, ain't it?)

Laughing