The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Which strings are best?
Kirk Hamre

Huntington Beach, California
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2005 4:44 pm    

I am using Cobra Coil strings on my E9 neck. I'm getting a bit of friction against my bar. I tried playing some new guitars at the ISGC in St.Louis this weekend. I found that my bar slid much easier on those guitar strings, don't know what brand they were. Any reccomendations on what brand/model of strings to buy? I want my bar to feel like it's sliding over ice.
Thanks,
Kirk Hamre

------------------
2001 Emmons Lashley LeGrande II, Model LST10L, E9th Single 10 String on a Double Frame with pad, 3 Pedals, 5 Knees, RKR is a double stop. 2005 Peavey Nashville 1000 Amp. Boss GE-7 Equalizer. Sho Bud Volume Pedal.

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2005 5:17 pm    

Ah, Kirk, you're lucky. You've already met the strings you like; you just don't know their name. All ya need to do is to email or call whoever builds those guitars you liked playing on at ISGC and ask 'em what kind of strings they put on their guitars. Case closed! There's nothing anybody can tell you here in print that is better than the information you already have.

Steve Hitsman

Waterloo, IL
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2005 5:59 pm    

Nice try Jim but you know there's no way this case is closed. The poor guy's gonna get all the input he doesn't need.

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2005 6:22 pm    

(Sigh... okay, here we go again...)

Kevin Hatton

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2005 6:32 pm    

Kirk, there's nothing wrong with your strings. You already have the best. Go to the local music store and by some "Fast Fret". You will not only have a great string cleaner but will also achieve the glassy smooth feel you desire.

David Cobb

Chanute, Kansas, USA
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2005 6:42 pm    

Kirk, I hope you brought home a BJS bar from the convention, if you didn't own one already.

EDIT: whoops, sorry, I hadn't seen your other thread.....

[This message was edited by David Cobb on 06 September 2005 at 07:46 PM.]

Kevin Hatton

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2005 3:48 pm    

BJS bar is a must.

Walter Haynes

Bullard.Texas, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2005 3:05 pm    

Try Jagwires's, I've played them all and Jagwire strings is by far the best. You won't be sorry------

W.H.

Walter Hamlin

Talladega, Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2005 5:33 pm    

I've been buying strings in bulk packs from Musicians Friend for several years and haven't had a problem with them non atall.
They are not rolled up in a package but rather a dozen of a single guage is put into a long plastic bag with a small stick on generic label telling the size. I really like them. They are not in their catalog so I call them and ask for the guages I want.
They are inexpensive too.
I will always remember what one very famous steel player told me at one of Jeff Newmans steel picking sessions he held at his school when it was in Nashville. The person said he used what someone gave him or what was the cheapest and it was not Jeff who said it.

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2005 5:53 pm    

That sounds just like something that Buddy Emmons might say.....

RR

George Redmon

Muskegon & Detroit Michigan.
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2005 7:16 pm    

they are all the best..i have used many different brands..i find them all just about the same..they are strings...a few years ago, there was this big thing about SIT strings..they never stayed in tune any better then my GeorgeL's..now Jagwire is the big craze..samething....next year it will be some other brand, that claims to do something else...the gauge is much more important, then the brand...you might try a different alloy perhaps stainless....

Webb Kline

Bloomsburg, PA
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2005 7:54 pm    

I'm sure that the guitar you put them on must dictate which type of string works best, but I have tried both the nickel and stainless Jagwires on my GFI and the stainless sound much better. The nickel seem to have a darker tone to me.

But, I use and love John Pearse on my Dobro and my Taylor, so I tried a set on my C6 neck recently and I think they are nickel and they sound great. I didn't care for them on my Epi jazz box or lap steel though. The sustain on the Jags is still vibrating after a minute and the John Pearse seem to die out just a tad before a minute--as if that mattered.

Aside from that though, I am pretty pleased with the Pearse strings for the price. But, I'll probably keep getting the Jagwires because they have lasted very well and the stainless have great tone.

Jody Sanders

Magnolia,Texas, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2005 8:05 pm    

I use Frenchy's Silent Series. Available in nickel or stainless. Jody.

Kirk Hamre

Huntington Beach, California
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2005 8:11 pm    

Hey all,

I bought a BJS bar and it's made all the difference. The Dunlop bar was junk. I also ordered some "Fret Fast" that was suggested. Thanks to all who have responded.
Kirk

John Daugherty

Rolla, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2005 3:47 am    

I think there is some confusion here. I am hearing talk of different alloys,different sounds. Please correct me if I am wrong,but it is my understanding that all strings are nickle/steel alloy. "Stainless" strings use stainless steel for the wrap on the wound strings.
If this is the case, all unwound strings should sound the same.
Some people can hear a singer sing two songs and then comment: "That first guy was a much better singer".

------------------
www.phelpscountychoppers.com/steelguitar

Jimmie Martin

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2005 4:29 am    

i like cobra coil strings but i bought 3 packs and got charges 12.90 to ship them to ohio. i thought that was a little bit much. also one set was missing a string. still haven't gotten it. that was a month ago.

Brad Sarno

St. Louis, MO USA
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2005 6:59 am    

A stainless bar will have friction on stainless strings. A chrome bar (BJS) will be very slick on stainless strings. Cobra Coil is wound with a Cobalt-Brass alloy which seems to be pretty slick with a BJS. It's the chemistry of the bar material and the string material. Avoid like metals and you'll probably be happy. Stainless retains its brightness longer than nickel plated strings. Experiment and you'll find it. I've never cared for the Dunlop bars.

Brad

John Ummel

Arlington, WA.
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2005 7:31 am    

The best strings are the ones that are in tune. The worst are the ones that break and the very tip of the broken string stabs you drawing blood!

Jeff Smith

Post  Posted 11 Sep 2005 7:51 am    

I always remember what Paul McCartney said when someone asked him what kind of strings he used on his bass guitar: "Long Shiny Ones."

Ha!