The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Left hand hurts after few minutes ! bad bar technique?
Ben Waismann

Israel
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2018 3:50 am    

Hello all

Im playing for 2-3 years now,
Recently watched paul franklin course and started to improve and put more attention into my bar technique, musical results seems to be good but recently im starting to experience pain after a few minutes of playing,
btw, i just got my BJS, 7/8 12 string bar weeks ago.

maybe my muscle need to get more stamina and strength?
maybe my techinque is bad?
really trying not to use force, but still after playing some long licks or something like that, it starts to hurt.
maybe im just a paranoid. i have no idea, but i rather share a footage of my playing with you guys and you can check it out.
[url]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GY1t2FGG9Y&list=UUFtS_7tLmWrJ_qC29gocVLQ[/url]

sorry for my bad spelling, im in a rush so i had to post it fast.

thank you all and take care.
Ben

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2018 5:49 am    

Looks pretty good and you sound fine. Are you pressing down on the bar with your index finger at all ? Or pinching the bar from the sides ? Holding the bar is subtle. You need to find a way to control it without using tension. I struggled with it for a long time and still have problems after long recording sessions.

Feel free to get in touch and maybe I can help you isolate your problem over Skype.

Keep up the good work !

Georg Sørtun

Mandal, Agder, Norway
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2018 6:01 am    

Did you go from a 10 string to a 12 string bar, and then started to experience pain? If so that pretty much explains it, as the balance of the bar in your hand has changed.

Tim Herman

Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2018 6:48 am    

Just a thought...try going back to your old bar when you feel the discomfort. Switch between the bars to keep your muscles guessing. I have a two different size bars for just that reason.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2018 7:36 am    

From the way your index finger is bent backwards, I'd guess you're probably just gripping the bar too tightly.

R-e-l-a-x !

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2018 9:41 am    

Take a break from playing for a couple days. If the pain starts after only a few minutes, you may have done some damage to your hand and it needs a little recovery time. When you return to practice, stop playing the instant you feel pain and take note of what your left hand looks like at that very moment.

+1 on the advice of others here - loosen your grip. You can control the bar with very little tension.

Also, make sure your shoulders are relaxed. A lot of hand pain starts from tension much further up the arm and into the neck.

Chris Brooks

Providence, Rhode Island
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2018 5:16 am    

I agree with Donny. You are putting pressure on the left index finger by bending it back--and maybe sharping the notes, too, due to that pressure.

Notice that many players keep the index finger curled the other way slightly, curved naturally.

And try this: switch off between index finger over the bar--and middle finger over the bar.

And as Donny says, relax. Let the bar's weight do the work.

Chris

ajm

Los Angeles
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2018 9:04 am    

What all of the others have said, since #1 it all makes sense.

But on a side topic: I notice that you have some masking tape on the front of your steel, presumably to mark fret/note/chord positions.
That standard masking tape can be dangerous to finishes, especially paint. (It may not affect mica, but......)
It may be best to switch to that blue painters masking tape, or find another method altogether. Maybe a long piece of cardboard, held down with a couple of drops of rubber cement at each end?

Now, back to the main topic.

Franklin

Post  Posted 21 Feb 2018 9:54 am    

Ben,
Basically relax and concentrate on keeping the index finger on top of the bar and not to the side. That is what I see that may be causing your problem... I notice in the clip the bar is being held on the back side of the index. It looks uncomfortable to my eyes because of how its stressing the thumb into a more left position than normal...The trick is to maintain a perfectly relaxed hand holding the bar between the middle and thumb while not allowing the bar to slide loose.....Please watch anyone of the masters to verify what I am talking about here or watch the bar movement and bar pressure videos...I suggest watching you tubes of anyone from Sol Hoopi to Buddy and notice that consistantly their bar sits directly under the index finger while the thumb and middle finger hold the bar in the exact desired fret position for accuracy.....Don't worry you are so close...Its like correcting a golf swing...Correcting the right and left hands are always a little uncomfortable at first but well worth the journey.

Technically I should also point out this: Holding the bar to the back side of the index is forcing the thumb to be in a more awkward and stiff position. That could definitely cause the problem you describe. Remember to change anything I advise you very slowly so the muscles remember the corrections accurately...At the end of the day playing the instrument requires developing muscle memory...I would say with that one small positioning correction you should be off to the races!
Have fun on your journey...
Paul Franklin

Kevin Fix

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2018 3:15 pm     Advice From The Master

Hey Ben!!!! There you go!!!! Advice from the master himself!!!!!! It is always great to see you chime in Paul!!!! God Bless to you!!

Todd Blair

Richmond Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2018 12:17 am    

Having read this earlier in the day, you can be assured that I took the advice of Mr. Franklin when it was time to practice.
I haven't had issues with fatigue in my left hand, but it certainly helped with overall control.

Ben Waismann

Israel
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2018 2:43 am    

Thank you all very much!
Especially Paul of course! Smile

Im very grateful and full of inspiration now to get it done.

Got work to do!

again,
thank you all very much.

Ben Waismann

Israel
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2018 2:56 am    

ajm wrote:
What all of the others have said, since #1 it all makes sense.

But on a side topic: I notice that you have some masking tape on the front of your steel, presumably to mark fret/note/chord positions.
That standard masking tape can be dangerous to finishes, especially paint. (It may not affect mica, but......)
It may be best to switch to that blue painters masking tape, or find another method altogether. Maybe a long piece of cardboard, held down with a couple of drops of rubber cement at each end?

Now, back to the main topic.

Intresting point.
anyway, i think i should lose it anyway since it prevents me from "really" knowing the fretboard and feel it naturally.
thanks

Jeffery Self

Spring City,Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2018 3:23 pm    

It's so cool seeing someone of Pauls's experience and expertise giving such suttle and encouraging advice. That's awesome! Mr. Green

Remembering Larry Self (1936-2014)

Art Beard

Once upon a time out west (deceased)
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2018 3:22 am     Bad hand

Crying or Very sad Sorry to hear of your problem. I needed carpel tunnel operation in 2016, but due to fractured vertabra and the spinal cord rolling into the fracture , I was unable to go to scheduled surgery to fix it. 16 months later , I am still learning to walk again (due to doctors making me have triple heart bypass and recovery time from that).
the right hand is almost totally useless at this time (right handed, of course,lol.)
My faith in GOD, tells me I will pick again. But will owe him a couple of all new steel guitar hymms, lol.
May be the start of medical problem. I hope not but if the above fails , see Hand Doc.!!!
Wishing and praying for the best for you.
CAA
GAS -1969 ZB D11/10,1974 Sho-Bud D10 Professional,1975 Speedy West S10, 150 yr okd Barn Board tele, Beard signature Gold Tone Dean Acoustic/Electric Bass, Tennessee 12 string Bass, 3 String Shovel.2 Fiddles., Sho-Bud amp, Epiphone valve special amp, Fishman loudbox artist amp.