The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Seeking master recording ownership of Jerry Byrd master
Michelle Johnson

California, USA
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2018 2:24 pm    

Hi everyone!
I'm trying to find the master rights holder of a particular Jerry Byrd recording of "Tiare No Tahiti". The only album I find it on is the "Byrd In Hawaii" album, which is out of print. London Records, Sony (RCA Victor), Universal Records don't own this master. I need to clear the song for inclusion in a film. The songwriters and publishers have no leads either. I feel that the song may either belong to Jerry's estate or to some other small label out there that I've yet to find. I know the album was released on Maple records some time ago. That was a label owned by Tom Shilstra who has since passed. If anybody out there might know of a smaller company with ties to some of Jerry's recordings, I'd love to have any leads.
I'm a professional at music clearance, but this one has me at a dead end. Thanks for your time.

Mitch Drumm

Frostbite Falls, hard by Veronica Lake
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2018 2:48 pm    

I thought he also did it as a duet with Barney Isaacs, which I don't think would be the same recording as on the Maple LP. Not sure which CD or LP contains the Isaacs duet. It runs about 3'40".

Byrd did "Tiare Tahiti" on his RCA LP "Hawaiian Beach Party", but I don't know offhand if that is the same song as "Tiare No Tahiti".

Are you restricted to ONLY that Maple version?

I think the Maple LP was later reissued in cassette form by Scotty's Music of St. Louis, but I have no idea if that release was authorized by Maple.

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2018 3:24 pm     Re: Seeking master recording ownership of Jerry Byrd master

Michelle Johnson wrote:
I'm a professional at music clearance, but this one has me at a dead end. Thanks for your time.

Yikes. I count on people like you to know all the answers to this kind of stuff so that people like me don't have to.
That's impressive that this is so deeply buried.

Michelle Johnson

California, USA
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2018 3:28 pm    

Thanks, Mitch!
I'll look into the Barney Isaacs duet version, but I'm pretty sure that's a different recording. I did find the "Tiare Tahiti" song on "Hawaiian Beach Party" as well. I think it's the same song. My folks at Sony (RCA) have already searched both those keywords in their master library. I have asked them to double check though.

The Byrd In Hawaii version is the version we are hoping to use in the film. I don't think that song was released on any other albums of his besides "Byrd In Hawaii" or Hawaiian Beach Party". The search continues!

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2018 5:54 am    

Did a little checking and came up with nothing. Most of Jerry's singles were on Mercury, with a few on Decca and Monument, but it looks like that song was never released as a single by Jerry. Oh Well

Just as point of interest for anyone reading, here's the original (1938) version of the song by the writer and his band:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fp-dsZAeDU

Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 23 Feb 2018 9:29 am    

Do the circumstances qualify it as public domain?
I would suggest going ahead and including it in the film and then you will quickly find your answer! Laughing

Joseph Carlson

Grass Valley, California, USA
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2018 9:58 am    

Here's the Jerry Bird version from Byrd in Hawaii for those that are curious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ci8v8YzSoo

Michelle Johnson

California, USA
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2018 11:49 am    

Thanks everyone! It's not a PD song unfortunately. I've had to drop the song from consideration in the film. I actually am starting to think that it may be owned by the Byrd estate. I found his daughter Luana's phone number. I called and left a message last week, but haven't gotten a call back. I'll keep pursuing just because now I'm really curious to solve the mystery. Thank you all for your help!

Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2018 12:03 pm    

I've used Cheryl Cooper for rights clearance for years. Sure you can do it yourself but it takes hours and hours and her charges are very reasonable - plus she knows where the bodies are buried at the record companies. Among other programs, I used her to get clearance to use Judy Collin's version of Amazing Grace for a non-profit video. I assume you need to license the composition PLUS the Byrd performance PLUS the recording? Music licensing is a can of worms - Good luck!

http://www.4cpermissions.com

Michelle Johnson

California, USA
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2018 7:24 am    

Hi Andy,
I myself am a clearance professional. I've already cleared the publishing, just trying to find who owns the master these days. I've dug deep into all the typical labels associated with Jerry. Once Maple records folded in the late Eighties, that seems to be when the Byrd in Hawaii album tracks started to become hard to find. I'm not sure if Byrd's estate or may even Tom Shilstra's estate perhaps has master rights. Trying to track that down, but I actually have to move on now as the film is mixing and being delivered. I'll keep searching out of curiosity though!