The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  FL: Yet another 'Always, Patsy Cline'
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2018 6:27 pm    

I'm delighted to be setting off for Key West, FL this week for a short run of this show. This will be the thirty-first production of 'Always,....' for me since my first one in Roanoke, VA in Summer, 1998. That one was the first playing-job I ever landed in the US.

If you're in the area, come by the Red Barn Theatre and say 'Hello'.

Tony Palmer

St Augustine,FL
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2018 3:56 pm    

Finally I’ll get to see this show! Looking forward to hearing some great music and saying hello.

Tony Palmer

St Augustine,FL
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2018 12:57 pm    

I can’t express enough words how much I enjoyed this show! Of course hearing the library of Patsy Cline Songs was enjoyable itself but hearing them played so well by Roger and the others was a unique treat. Very small theatre and a totally retro band performance left room for only precise and tasteful playing. The theatre only seats 88 people and you could literally hear a pin drop. Translate: you hear every single note clear as a bell...Nowhere to hide! Roger uses no effects other than the tiniest amount of reverb and totally channels steel playing from that era. The storyline is very well written and keeps things moving throughout the show.
Perfection!

Roger Rettig left, Tony Palmer right

Last edited by Tony Palmer on 1 Mar 2018 5:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

Bill Cunningham

Atlanta, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2018 4:17 pm    

So can you do it in your sleep, Roger? Smile

There is a run in Atlanta in April. I will be subbing for Tommy D. the week he is away for the Illinois steel show. I did the same deal about 10 years ago so it will not be as easy for me as for you. Shocked

Tony Palmer

St Augustine,FL
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2018 4:19 pm    

Oops double post

Last edited by Tony Palmer on 1 Mar 2018 5:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

Jeff Garden

Center Sandwich, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2018 5:03 pm    

"Always Patsy Cline, Almost Always Roger Rettig"! That's quite a run you've had Roger. Hope you're enjoying the zany world of Key West Smile

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2018 7:56 pm    

Great to meet Tony kast night - thanks for coming!

There are enough changes from production to production to keep me on my toes. I can still find different things to play, though, so every night's an adventure.

Key West is okay in small doses! For one thing, it's cheaper to eat money in this town. I'm here for just twenty days (nine to go) so it's bearable. Living in Naples as I do this weather is the norm for me but one of the band has come from VA where he was freezing - he's happy.

Good luck with your stint, Bill - you'll be fine.

For the record, by the end of this run (March 10th) I will have played 646 performances of 'Always.....' since 1998!!!

J R Rose

Keota, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2018 7:49 pm    

Tony, Thanks for that great picture of you and Roger. I would love to see Roger do that show but it's a fur piece from Okla. I have commuted with Roger some and he seems like a very nice gentleman. And I like his post. J.R.

Willis Vanderberg

Petoskey Mi
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2018 6:09 pm    

Glad you got to meet Roger , Tony. I am proud to call him and Miss Susie my friends. We had some memorable times when I lived in Florida. I have been back in Northern Michigan for ten years now. I really miss my Florida friends and the music down there.
Roger is not only a great steel picker he plays a great tele and a mean Banjo too. I believe he picks the mandolin at times. He is one of the few musicians I know who has been able to play for a living. I enjoyed his music in The Best Little Whore House in Texas he did a great job. Sorry to say I never made it to Medora as he has done that musical for many years. There is work for a good steel guitar musician out there. Thanks Roger, I miss you folks......Old Bud

Richard Wood

Georgetown, TX
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2018 12:44 pm    

I just finished up a run of this show in Wharton, TX. I played lead guitar in the 6 piece band with David Hubenak on PSG. Great time, show and music. We had a terrific cast of all non professionals.