The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Lowers on a Permanent.
K Maul

Hadley, NY/Hobe Sound, FL
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2018 9:39 am    

Looking for ideas. I want to lower my B to Bb. My Permanent has an add on sub rack underneath to do the E-Eb. I'm wondering about other ways to do it,no matter how crude.
Kevin Maul: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Decophonic, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Williams, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.

Michael Yahl

Troy, Texas!
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2018 1:40 pm    

Flip the bell crank over to the other side of the shaft. (rotate it 180°)

Never mind... I had Fingertip on the brain not Perm. Sorry.

PSG PARTS
http://www.psgparts.com/

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2018 2:48 pm    

The problem with adding that change is that you need to leave some play in the A pedal raise to leave room for the lower. For most playing that would become very irritating, if not impossible.

Billy Carr

Seminary, Mississippi, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2018 5:15 pm     Psg

Use the KL'er that raises the E's & the pedal that raises the G#'s together and slide back one fret. Takes you to the 2-chord. ( Place bar at 5th fret and use that combo, let's say w/ strings 4,6 & 10 for example.) Takes you from the A to B. I only use 4 KL'ers, the usual 3 pedals plus pedal-4 which raises the #7 F# to a G#.

K Maul

Post  Posted 17 Feb 2018 6:25 pm    

Yes I have done that but I'm lazy. Thanks. I also want to lower my first G# to G so just looking for advice. Except advice NOT to do it,haha.
Kevin Maul: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Decophonic, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Williams, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.

chas smith

Encino, CA, USA
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2018 8:42 pm    

Kevin, I just saw this post. On my Permanent, the lower armature that came with the guitar was less than ideal so I machined my own. the original is the one in the back.

This is the E lowers on the E9 neck. The pull rod that goes to the finger has a rod welded to it that goes through the bottom of the pivot before the spring is attached.

The spring goes to another rod that goes through the hole on the angle and has a shaft collar attached. I pull that rod to stretch the spring and raise the pitch of the E string and fine tune it with the screw against the top of the pivot.

Then the pull rods that go to the cross rod, and pedal or knee lever, to lower the pitch, attach to the top of the pivot.

K Maul

Post  Posted 18 Feb 2018 9:13 pm    

Thanks, Chas. I think this compares to mine. I won’t be home for several weeks to look at it,but I think this will be a big help.

K Maul

Post  Posted 20 Feb 2018 6:12 am    

I am unsure exactly how to adjust the allen screws and how to initially set that mechanism up. I’m having problem getting high E to lower enough. Thinking about doing the “Lloyd Green Solution” though I’d miss having Eb in that position.