The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Steels Aren't High
Farris Currie

Ona, Florida, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2005 7:18 am    

Just ordered a load of steel for my shop,and got to thinking steel guitars aren't high at all, figure the material that goes in them, and the machining and labor WOW, and gonna get worse!!!!!
I'll take my old Sho-Buds farris

Ray Minich

Bradford, Pa. Frozen Tundra
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2005 9:07 am    

Farris, based on the machining I've done in the lab just to maintain my two Dekleys, a PSG should cost about $10,000 for a one-off prototype at today's rates.

Farris Currie

Post  Posted 1 Sep 2005 9:49 am    

RAY, YOUR RIGHT, I just ordered a minimun of steel for the shop, and its way over 1000 dollars. i was thinking how much machining is envolved ect. takes lots to build a steel now day. and a good used steel for less than 2000 is a bargin.
also lots of labor, and trying to get things right. lucky we can still get good used steels. farris

Larry Strawn

Golden Valley, Arizona, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2005 2:57 pm    

Farris,,

If ya got a thousand bucks worth of steel, ya didn't get much!! LOL..

Our steel suppliers in Vegas will only hold a price for me for three days, then it gets higher!! LOL..

Yeah I think prices on used steels is really good compared to material and labor to build one!!

Larry

------------------
Emmons S/D-10, 3/5, Sessions 400 Ltd. Home Grown E/F Rack
"ROCKIN COUNTRY"

Joe Drivdahl

Montana, USA
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2005 6:22 pm    

The steel might not be high, but what about the guy behind it?

Jon Zimmerman

California, USA
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2005 5:44 am    

Steels themselves are reasonable compared to a car/gas/repairs --just to stay mobile. The TIME and EFFORT it takes to care/service what steels you DO have, whether a single or more, up to a 'harem' of favorites/special types--there's where 'High Maintenance' takes a toll on spare time, IMHO.
But we trooper-on 'cause we love the "high lonesome" sounds of these Mo-sheens, don't we? It's that sound, like gentle wind whistling thru tree branches in strange and compelling harmonies--we try and recreate with hands, feet and what is left of our minds--soaring upward, high and mighty...or, in my case, clanky and screetchy. Take your pick.
And now, back to the woodshed...JZ

Farris Currie

Post  Posted 3 Sep 2005 9:12 am    

Larry,thanks for the call last night,man i enjoyed the talk!!!now you are right the 1000 order won't be much,also ordered taps and dies high speed steel.so probaly want have many groc. for a spell!!!Boys,its getting hard for a poor boy to make it.

buying a used steel on the forum from a brother is still the best way to go.
farris

Larry Robbins

Fort Edward, New York
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2005 10:12 am    

Ah-Haaa!,
So Larry S still trying to sneak in to Farris's good graces huh? Thought I wouldn't catch you over in this thread.
Better watch him Farris, he's a tricky one.
I heard that he scotch tapes worms to the side walk just to watch the birds get hernias! Farris, a buddy of mine up here built a steel out of aircraft Aluminum.Sounds pretty good I must say..its a universial tuning so with only the one neck it dont weigh too much.

[This message was edited by Larry Robbins on 03 September 2005 at 11:17 AM.]

Larry Strawn

Golden Valley, Arizona, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2005 4:18 pm    

Dang Larry R..

Can't hide from you any where,,was gonna sweet talk Farris about his black "Bud" but ya caught me!! LOL...

Farris,, don't let Larry R. trick you into tradeing for some old Alum. Steel now.

Larry

L. A. Wunder

Lombard, Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2005 9:40 am    

I used to work in a music store, and I can assure you, a "professional" level steel is not that expensive compared to the price of other "Pro" level instruments.
For instance: The LOWEST professional level flute starts at over $2,000. A really good professional level sax starts around $4,000-$6,000 and many "elite" level instruments, (which many pros play)START around 14-16,000 dollars. Kinda makes that Emmons, Carter, MSA, etc... seem like a bargan, doesn't it?
I know 2-4,000 dollars + seems like alot when you don't have it, (I don't) but in comparison to other musicians, I think we're getting a good deal. Just my 2-cents.

L.A.

Lyle Clary

Decatur, Illinois, KC9VCB
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2005 6:28 pm    

I paid 850 dollars for my ZB Custom D10 which I still, have back in 1969. What would 850 be in todays' dollars?

------------------
1969 ZB Custom D10, BMI S10, 1981 Peavy Musician Mark III, 15 Inch Black Widow, custom enclosure

Lyle Clary

Decatur, Illinois, KC9VCB
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2005 5:59 pm    

To answer my own question, 850 1969 dollars is equal to 4400 2004 dollars according to the University of Oregon website. That ZB Custom was kind of pricey was it not. But it is still worth it to me.

------------------
1969 ZB Custom D10, BMI S10, 1981 Peavy Musician Mark III, 15 Inch Black Widow, custom enclosure