The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Bar chrome is scratching off???
Kirk Hamre

Huntington Beach, California
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2005 4:06 pm    

I have two Jim Dunlop bars I have been using, they are both model 920 Stainless Steel 7/8" Diameter x 2 7/8" long, 7.5 oz.
Both of these bars are losing their chrome where the plain strings, #1 through #6 slide. Why is this happening? I've only been using these bars a short time. These are also the only bars I've ever used. The area where strings #7 through #10 slide seems to be fine.

------------------
2001 Emmons Lashley LeGrande II, Model LST10L, E9th Single 10 String on a Double Frame with pad, 3 Pedals, 5 Knees, RKR is a double stop. 2005 Peavey Nashville 1000 Amp. Boss GE-7 Equalizer. Sho Bud Volume Pedal.

Bob Knight

Bowling Green KY
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2005 4:54 pm    

pedalsteel.com/bjs/bjs.html

[This message was edited by Bob Knight on 29 August 2005 at 05:55 PM.]

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2005 4:57 pm    

Click Here

John Hawkins

Onalaska, Tx. on Lake Livingston * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2005 5:45 pm    

Kirk,
Use the link that Bob Knight and Lee posted and order yourself a BJS ( Bill Stroud ) bar !
I can tell you straight out , that you will never have any chrome pealing off these bars . I've used them for more years than I can remember and if there is even a slight problem with a bar Bill Stroud builds , you will get a new one- if he knows about it. I use Stainless Steel strings and I have NEVER had even a scratch of any kind on one of his bars after years of use ! They are the very best you can find !

John

[This message was edited by John Hawkins on 29 August 2005 at 06:46 PM.]

[This message was edited by John Hawkins on 29 August 2005 at 08:23 PM.]

basilh

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2005 5:52 pm    

I didn't know that Stainless steel bars where chrome plated ?
Are they ?
BAz

------------------
Quote:
Steel players do it without fretting

David Doggett

Bawl'mer, MD (formerly of MS, Nawluns, Gnashville, Knocksville, Lost Angeles, Bahsten. and Philly)
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2005 8:17 pm    

Some steel bars are chrome plated, others are just polished steel. The chrome is a little slicker, but it does wear and chip off. BJS bars are chrome plated, but if they don't chip or wear, then the plating must be very thick. Also, there is hard chrome, which may not be as shiny but is meant for wear, and soft chrome, which is meant for show, not wear. Maybe BJS bars have hard chrome, but some others seem to have soft chrome.

[This message was edited by David Doggett on 29 August 2005 at 09:23 PM.]

Tommy Roten

Trondheim, Norway
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2005 9:20 am    

I actually have black spots on my BJS bar, it's rust or the chrome coming off...

------------------
Franklin D-10, MSA D-10, Goodrich volped, Mesa Boogie Quad preamp, ProfexII, Mosvalve 1500, 2xEminence 12", Nashville 400,
www.tommy-steel.com
pertrot@frisurf.no

basilh

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2005 12:02 pm    

And are "Stainless Steel" bars also chrome plated ?

John Hawkins

Post  Posted 30 Aug 2005 3:35 pm    

Tommy,
Get in touch with Bill Stroud using either of the two links Bob Knight or Lee Baucum posted ! He will be more than fair with your situation. While I don't speak for Bill Stroud, I will bet that you will be glad you got in touch with him ! Bill is a fine guy and if you have a problem with one of his bars, he will advise you what you should do next to correct that problem .

Believe it or not--I have never met Bill Stroud although he lives very close to my in-laws in TN.and knows them well . I'm posting this from experience with his product and he will make good on his stuff if you have a problem.

Contact him ! I'll bet you will be glad you did !

John

[This message was edited by John Hawkins on 30 August 2005 at 04:37 PM.]

Bill Stroud

Dresden, Tennessee, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2005 6:58 pm    

Hi Tommy, sorry that you are having problems, but yes you must have got one of the bars that I tried a new Chrome platers, (bad mistake) in Nashville Tn, which turned out costing me a lot of money to replace every bar that I had sold. They really looked good at the time, but over a short time they did exactly like you've described. I learn a hard and costly lessen, I will only use the guy that I always use, he puts the real Industrial Hard Chrome on my bars. I have used my bar since 1974 with no problems. Will you be at Scotty" convention this year, or someone that you could send your bar with that will be coming, bring it to my booth and a new one will be put in your hands. Email me at bjsbars@frontiernet.net and let me know if you will or will not be in ST Louis this year.
BJS Bars
Bill

Chris LeDrew

Canada
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2005 7:06 pm    

Practice is the only way to become a great steel player, but a BJS bar makes the journey more pleasurable - and quicker.
Al Brisco finally convinced me to take the plunge with a BJS bar a few months ago, and I'm thankful he did. It's brought my playing to another level.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2005 11:47 am    

Uhh, no offense intended...

I never cease to be amazed by the players who will buy every new gadget and gizmo that comes down the pike, and then complain about having to buy a new bar every few years!

(Chuckle, chuckle!)

John Hawkins

Post  Posted 31 Aug 2005 4:13 pm    

See Tommy ! I told you so ! Bill Stroud will correct a problem with his Bars if any, if he knows about it!

You can't deal with a better guy ! You also cannot get a better, longer lasting better sustain, steel guitar bar anywhere, either!!

John

Chris LeDrew

Canada
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2005 8:57 pm    

Donny is sooo right. I tried to save money a few years ago by buying a cheap bar - peeled after a year. I bought another more "economical" bar -it chipped right away. I finally got smart and purchased a BJS - there's no comparison.
You can spend the equivalent of 2 or 3 BJS bars trying to find the quality that BJS delivers. Save yourself the agony.

Kirk Hamre

Post  Posted 6 Sep 2005 4:47 pm    

Bought a BJS...I love it.

Bill OConnor

Castle Rock, Washington, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2005 10:51 am    

Been using my 7/8 BJS bar 8 yrs still good.It was a free replacement for one that went bad .Do you know anyone that will back his product better than Bill Stroud ? I don`t. And i am ordering another one for a 12U IT IS THE BEST BAR YOU CAN BUY.

------------------

Kirk Hamre

Post  Posted 7 Sep 2005 11:21 am    

I just ordered some "Fret Fast"...I'm told this product will really make my strings slick.