The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Doo-Waa Boo-Waa
Ollin Landers

Willow Springs, NC
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2018 12:14 pm    

I'm surprised that this has not seen more post here on the forum. And I'll apologize if I missed any pertinent post.

I just got in with a new band and we're doing some retro rockabilly tunes.

We're doing more than a few numbers that could greatly benefit from some of the old bar crash, Doo-Waa effects.

I know that anyone really wanting to play retro music is probably already playing a console steel on those numbers. But we're also doing other tunes where I need a PSG. I just don't have the funds or the stage room for another guitar.

I've been simulating a Doo-Waa effect by hitting a palm harmonic and sliding to the octave and pumping the VP.

I disconnected the tone control on my Zum many years ago and my Carter never had one.

Does anyone know of a device that I could attach to the leg of the steel with a linear pot or something similar so I can get a stutter or Doo-Waa?

I spent half my money on gambling, alcohol and wild women. The other half I wasted. W.C. Fields

Jeff Mead

London, England
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2018 2:44 pm    

When I play that style, I usually use a console, as you said but I use a volume/tone pedal for the boo-wah effect. Up and down for volume, side to side for tone. Nobody currently makes one but Bigsby, Fender and DeArmand used to make them and they come up from time to time. The Fenders seem to be the easiest to find (there is also a more recent Fender re-issue, also now discontinued).

However, if you are using a Goodrich Matchbox or similar device on your guitar, the tone aspect of these pedals will have no effect at all (something to do with impedance).

Ollin Landers

Willow Springs, NC
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2018 3:21 pm    

I'm aware of the various pedals I'm also aware they can be problematic. Not to mention hard to find at a reasonable price.

I've had good luck with using the tone knob on my tele's and I even have one where I've flipped the control plate to make using the tone knob easier.

I would like to find a box/knob/gizmo I can manipulate with my pinky. I'm all about being as compact as possible that's why I play an S-12 Uni. I don't want to alter any of my guitars with a tone pot.

I seem to remember a post by Erv Neihaus that said he used his matchbox to get a Doo-Wah effect.

I spent half my money on gambling, alcohol and wild women. The other half I wasted. W.C. Fields

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2018 3:37 pm    

I chewed a lot of mental fat trying to design something (in my head) that would be a simple clip-on, would present at around string height and would be robust. I never got anywhere. Flimsy was not an option and I could not surmount the problem of placing it in a good operating position and having it be solid and stable and compact. My engineering chops limit the depth of my imagination.

Chris Reesor

British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2018 7:56 pm    

Hey Ollin,long time, no speakee. Hope you are doing well.
How much height difference between the strings and the back deck on the Carter? It might not be too hard to come up with something.
Your Zum is an SD, right?

Ollin Landers

Willow Springs, NC
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2018 12:17 pm    

Hey Chris

Sorry but the weather here has been in the high 70's Thursday and Friday so I was out fishing.

My Zum is an SD-12 and my good old Carter as you know is an S-12.

There is about 1 and 3/8 clearance between the strings and the back deck. Even though my Zum is a really nice guitar it's not in the best of shape. Very playable but I tend to gig the Carter a great deal more because of the weight and ergonomics.

I would love to know what you have in mind.

Chris Reesor

British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2018 7:11 pm    

I'd probably go fishing myself if the monsoon would let up long enough for the rivers to come down to a fishable height.
I was thinking of a small metal box that would attach to little back deck with Velcro. That would put a Tele style knob just to the right of your picking hand, behind the strings, but it could be tough with available components to keep it below the string plane.
The box itself would need two 1/4 in. jacks, a 1 meg. pot a cap and a mini toggle switch to take it out of circuit when not needed. Lap and consoles usually have that tone control on the other side from the player, if I'm not mistaken. Maybe you would prefer it there? If so, the same sort of box could be attached to the right front leg with a plastic leg clip and a simple bracket made of aluminum, since there isn't much surface in front of the changer to attach anything to.