The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Complexity of the Revelation
Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2018 8:28 am    

The Rev is an excellent steel tube preamp, but takes time to dial in your setting. Brad can correct me if I'm wrong, but if I recall, the Treble control also moves the mid frequency. Add the Vari pickup load control and it gets confusing. My recent approach is to concentrate on the mid frequency setting with the color control full off. To get the mid frequency in the 700-800hz range the treble control needs to be set around 3 (9:00). To cut the treble control to 9:00 or less, you have to set the Vari close to 3:00 which will give you too much bite. Then cut the treble to compensate and cut the bite. This gets the crucial mid frequency where it should be. Then, dial in the amount of dip in the mid frequency with the mid control. Then, set the bass (low frequency. Blend with the color control if needed. This setting gives me the bite I need in the low and low mid frequencies, but still has good low guts. I would compare it similarly to the tone you hear Emmons is getting on the live youtube video of Ray Price on stage singing Night Life. The input volume control also seems to have some tone effect. I have it set at 3. Also, I'm playing a 1976 MSA with a 427 Telonics pickup, so this setting will certainly vary with other guitars and pickups, but it will get in the ballpark. I noticed B.E.'s Rev setting had a very low treble setting and color setting at zero. I'm not sure if that was his final setting. He may have still been experimenting with it? Conclusion, the Rev has it all, but takes time to dissect it's controls to get where you need to be. I've had mine for 3 years and just now figuring it out. Brad and Einstein are hard to figure out. My setting ( ):
Vari (3:00 o'clock)
Input Volume (3)
Treble 2-3 (2)
Mid 3-6 (4)
Color 0-3 (0)
Bass 4-6 (5)
Master 6-7.5
Toggle Switch (Dark)

Clark Doughty

KANSAS
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2018 10:07 am     Revelation

Your settings are a little different from mine but what I've found out about Brad is, that unlike most Einsteiners, he can explain it at my level of understanding where most can't.

Ron Funk

Ballwin, Missouri
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2018 5:40 pm     Sarno Revelation

Dennis -

I'm away from my rig at the moment, but on my Revelation, I always have the 'Bright/Dark' Toggle switch in the Middle position.

The Mids knob is always "pulled" to thicken up the Mids.

Brad was very helpful in quickly helping me obtain the best tone I've ever had.

Ron

Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2018 12:26 pm    

Hi Ron,
It's a complex preamp. I've experimented with the settings for the past 2 years, but wanted my mid frequency below 800hz. For now, I think I've found it? However, I had to turn the treble control to the left of the recommended area to set the mid. To compensate for that setting, I had to dial the vari to the right of recommended setting of noon to 2:00. Then to cut the very high edge down, I have the toggle on dark. I've very happy with the mids and lows, but still need the highs thickened a little without effecting the mids and lows. That's the next range of experimentation. Maybe the Color knob? Again, this is a U-12 with Telonics 427 pickup. I'm sure a single coil would require different adjustments. For now, I'm enjoying the mid and low growl. I'm also using my old Shobud pot pedal instead of the Hilton. With the pot pedal connected as recommended for the Rev, I don't need the Hilton.
1976 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics 427 pickup, 1975 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics X-12 pickup, Boss 59 Fender pedal for preamp, NDR-5 Atlantic Delay & Reverb, two Quilter 201 amps, 2- 12" Eminence EPS-12C speakers, ShoBud Pedal, 1949 Epiphone D-8. Revelation preamp into a Crown XLS 1002 power amp.