The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  The Alkire Eharp System: A complete Technic and Chord Method
Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2018 8:10 pm    

Here is a question for you: would you like to be able to play just like your hero's? Or would you rather be the hero: i.e. the person who took a chance on creating something new that other people imitate, knowing that you chances of success by imitating are infinitely higher than your chances of success carving out new territory.

I am thinking about these things as i head down the Alkire Eharp (ay'harp) System: A complete Technic and Chord Method by Eddie Alkire . And who can resist this bit of copy "Technical Velocity and Four-Part Harmony are made available exclusively on the Alkire Eharp and System of Temperament."

There are probably less than a dozen Eharp players today, and by Eharp players I mean anyone playing the 10 string Alkire tuning, regardless of instrument or number of strings (Bob Schaefer expanded the Eharp tuning to a 14 string pedal steel). But every day I learn about more, so who knows.

I do know that it does take some courage to venture down a path that will require quite a bit of study, without mentor or model for success. No tuning specific licks to steal. Nothing to fall back on. At it's core, the Alkire tuning sounds only like itself: it doesn't sound like a 6th, or a 9th, or a 7th tuning. Like a piano, it has no inherent property that defines it's style.

It was designed with key elements: being 'keyless" designed to be played in any key. Note reading built into the system from page one. dramatic explosion on chords and inversions possible on a single straight bar.

In other words: you need to find your way and your way will be unique. But you are guided by a SYSTEM! Just contemplating the concentration and work it took to create this output of work is astounding. The course is 24 "Steps", each step being a serious of lessons. The first 4 steps are just preparatory for when you get into the eharp itself, and only the first 6 strings are covered until Step 11.

You sort of have to give yourself up to the method. Which means DIGRESSING before you can PROGRESS. It takes some nerve, I'm finding to let myself be bad again in order to travel down a trail less traveled by. With no guarantee of success, or even what success would look like.

But, I'm starting to see some light. I'm giving myself over to the system, starting at step one.

Joe Breeden

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2018 8:27 am    

Bill, after reading your post, I admire you and your effort. I remember something, "Nothing happens until you try", or something like that. Go for it. Joe

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2018 9:12 am    

Thanks Joe.

Stefan Robertson

Hertfordshire, UK
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2018 9:29 am    

"I do know that it does take some courage to venture down a path that will require quite a bit of study, without mentor or model for success."

Bill I couldn't agree more. And am glad to have your mind coming around. I told you a while ago we are destined to meet and exchange ideas. I'm interested in inversions/voicings you are tackling would be nice to do some comparative study and approaches as you and I aren't too far away in concept.

Could be a good little study for both of us.

I'm on the E13#9/F path but like Alkire I have to create all the material from scratch and develop my own system.
E13#9/F secrets: https://thelapsteelguitarist.wordpress.com

"Give it up for The Lap Steel Guitarist"

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2018 9:43 am    

Nice thing about Alkire Stephan is that it has a very complete and detailed "system". Fortunately, someone just sent me the complete course.

Stefan Robertson

Hertfordshire, UK
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2018 1:42 am    

Bill McCloskey wrote:
Nice thing about Alkire Stephan is that it has a very complete and detailed "system". Fortunately, someone just sent me the complete course.

Pretty cool indeed. Would love to compare it to my system and learn new things. I love the study if you are up to it.
E13#9/F secrets: https://thelapsteelguitarist.wordpress.com

"Give it up for The Lap Steel Guitarist"

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2018 3:02 pm    

Here is the full 24 step course:

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2018 6:52 am    

For those interested, I've just started a Facebook group for those interested in exploring the Alkire Eharp tuning further. It is called Eharp Players: https://www.facebook.com/groups/384138625329315/

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2018 7:12 am    

Bill, you should make your Facebook group "public". Right now only Facebook members can view it.

I'm curious about that Alkire course. Any chance you could post an image of a page or two so we can see the format?

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2018 8:40 am    

Sure Doug. Attached are some pictures of a couple of the "Steps". There are 24 "Steps" each with multiple lessons (marked A-through whoever many lessons there are.). Also attached the marketing materials listing each step and the songs it contains. Plus my binder with all the lessons included so you can see how extensive it is.

Joe Breeden

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2018 10:00 am    

Bill what's the address for ordering the material, and what is the cost? Thanks Joe

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2018 10:02 am    

Joe, Someone gave me the material. You can order it from the university of Illinois who will make PDF copies for you. They charge by the scan.

Ron Simpson

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2018 10:53 am     10 string Rickenbacker

I think this is the Rickenbacker version of the Eharp. The cast iron neck makes it suitable for a boat anchor also.

Ron

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2018 12:09 pm    

Bill, thanks for posting the pictures. That looks like a very comprehensive method. Mr. Alkire must have spent a lot of time putting that together!

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2018 1:00 pm    

Doug, he spent over 12 years putting the system together according to the literature.

Willis Vanderberg

Petoskey Mi
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2018 5:47 pm    

Well, not knowing what else to do I put an E 9th tuning on mine and love it.

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2018 5:22 pm    

Bill - Are you going to attempt to work your way through the whole course? My head hurts just thinking about it. It's much like learning a foreign language.

There are only two options as I see it.
Either I'm right, or there is a sinister conspiracy to conceal the fact that I'm right.

Williams Keyless S-10, BMI S-10, Evans FET-500LV, Fender Steel King, 2 Roland Cube 80XL's,
Sarno FreeLoader, Goodrich Passive Volume Pedals, Vintage ACE Pack-A-Seat

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2018 5:51 pm    

Yep. It is actually pretty fun.

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2018 6:06 pm    

What year was it first published? Any idea what the original purchase price was?

Who will be administering the test at the end of each chapter?

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2018 7:13 pm    

I think it was originally published in the late 40's, but the copies I have are copyrighted 1953 and 1956. I actually have some correspondence between Alkire and a teacher about purchasing lessons and whether or not teaching the eharp is a good career decision. He sold the teachers course for about $50, paid out over time. individual lessons were a buck or two.

I will be administrating my own tests to myself.

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2018 11:38 am    

Much has been made about the difficulty of the eharp tuning, but it really isn't all that hard. The trick is to think of it as 6 melody strings and 4 bass strings. And the strategie is to focus on learning the top 6 strings first. Once you get used to the top 6 string grips, it isn't much harder to add the lower strings.

That makes it possible to start learning the Eharp tuning with just a 6 string. Top 6 strings from bottom to top are G, G#, A, B, C#, E. I find it easier to think in terms of C and G so, placing the bar at the 3rd fret, the top 6 strings are Bb, B, C, D, E, G.

Grips 4, 2, 1 give us a C Chord: C, E, G.
Grips 5, 3, 1 give us a G chord, first inversion: B, D, G.
Grips 6, 3, 1 give us a Gm chord, first inversion: Bb, D, G
Grips 6, 4, 2, 1 give us a C7th chord: Bb, C, E, G

So let's add some strings: here is what you can do if you an 8 string and want to get started on the eharp tuning. At the 3rd fret, the seventh string is an A, and the 8th is an G#. What does that give us?

Grips 7, 4, 2 gives us the Am chord: A, C, E
Grips 8, 5, 3, gives us the G#dim chord: G#, B, D
Grips 8, 4, 2 gives us the G#aug chord: G#, B#, E

So in one straight bar position on 8 strings we have the Major chord, Major first inversion, minor, minor first inversion, dominant 7th, diminished, augmented, both first and 4th chord.......and we still have two more strings to add.

Willard Palmer

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2020 11:41 pm     Interesting thread

There was a fellow in Houston, Ladis F. Marek, who taught Eharp at Gestantas Music Co., which was where several of the folkies, including me, studied classic guitar.

Charles Gestantas, Jr. was the classic guitar teacher. One of the other students who was there was the late Guy Clark.

Ladis was a soft-spoken man. Evidently, he was a good teacher, because he stayed busy.