The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Newbie Sho-Bud Help
Ted Wurzburg

Brockport, New York, USA
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2005 11:56 am    

I have been trying to identify this Bud that I bought off Ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7344274797

It looks sort of like a Pro 1 or Professional but it has 6 P/1K configuration. It has the hex tuners through the end plate. It's in great shape and sounds wonderful but needs a couple of pedal rod extenders and some minor mechanical adjustment. I think I did ok for $600 and I'm sure someone would tell me if it was otherwise.

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2005 12:30 pm    

That is a Single-10 Sho-bud made during the Baldwin Distributed Crossover D-10 era; in the very late 60's-1970-ish time.
It has a different changer mounting with wood wraparound neck; that was common for the crossover Sho-bud models; and the person originally ordering it; could choose how many pedals they wanted. The knee lever on yours was added and is not original to that Steel. They also came standard with a Tone and Volume knob with a Coil tap switch all on that ledge.
Right After that Model came the Professionals and single-10 Professionals. Pro-I's came even later than that.
Ricky

Ted Wurzburg

Brockport, New York, USA
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2005 7:03 am    

Ricky -

Thanks! I originally thought it might be a Crossover because of the 6/1 configuration, but, according to the history, the Crossovers all had the basket mechanism which mine doesn't. It does have the coil splitter and Vol/Tone pots (which need to be cleaned).

Would it make sense to replace 3 pedals with knee levers to make a 3/4?

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2005 8:19 am    

Ted; the Crossovers were Double-10 with a mechanism to link the pedals and knee lever to play one neck at a time. The single-10 made during that era(like yours) is not a crossover; but has some design characteristics that are similar. They called the racks that pull the barrel tuners> "Baskets"...and yours certainly has racks. All Crossovers and single-10 and Professionals had Racks(Baskets).
Yes; it would make sense to make it a 3 pedal 4 knee lever E9 pedal steel.
Ricky

Ted Wurzburg

Brockport, New York, USA
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2005 8:33 am    

OK. Now I understand. It sure would be great if PDFs of some of the original manuals / documents were avaliable. Sounds like a market opportunity. Thanks for all your help. It looks like replacing 3 pedals with KLs is pretty straightforward.

Or, of course, I could just add the KLs and keep the pedals...

Gary Spaeth

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2005 8:13 am    

i bought a baldwin 6139 new in 1970. there was not one scrap of paper that came with it let alone a manual. i had to make a frantic call to a friend to get it set up for me. it was very frustrating. i bought another one in '74. same thing. was there ever a manual? MANUAL? YOU DON"T NEED NO STINKING MANUAL!!!

Ted Wurzburg

Brockport, New York, USA
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2005 5:39 pm    

I'm pretty sure mine's a 6139, but I thought the Baldwins had the Baldwin name on the right front. I downloaded some ShoBud manuals off the Carter site but they are for the bell crank undercarriage with the nylon tuners and not the barrel/hex tuners. I guess I can figure it out with the help of Bobbe's maintenance video, but it's not for the fainthearted.

Gary Spaeth

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2005 7:03 am    

my 70 had the baldwin name on the front and the wraparound wood neck. it listed for $700. i got it for $550. that was six weeks pay for me back then.

[This message was edited by Gary Spaeth on 04 September 2005 at 08:06 AM.]

Ben Elder

La Crescenta, California, USA
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2005 12:02 am    

There's a bit of help at Carter's website/this URL:
http://www.steelguitarinfo.com/downloads/OwnersManuals/index.html

The first of the two is probably more relevant to your Sho-Bud. I have the use of a similar 6139 and I downloaded both S-B files, brief as they are.