The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  SX 8 string lap steel guitar
Jerry Recktenwald

Louisville KY
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2018 2:06 pm    

I just purchased a SX 8 string lap steel guitar on Ebay $175.00
It came yesterday and WOW! Very nice for the price. I was going to build one but pickup [used] tuners and strings would be about $100.00 The strings need to be replaced with better ones the ones that came on it looked pitted [ cheep steel strings] With legs and gig bag not bad at all.
http://www.rondomusic.com/lap8na.html

David M Brown

California, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2018 3:38 am    

Experiment with raising the pickup a bit, it seemed to beef up the tone a bit on mine.

Enjoy your instrument.

Jerry Recktenwald

Louisville KY
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2018 12:03 pm    

I did and big difference. But I'm am getting new strings the one's that comes on it were not very good quality.

James Kerr

Scotland, UK
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2018 12:12 pm    

Hi Jerry, here is my SX Dobro purchased 3rd hand from fleabay and I love it, enjoy yours too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFLT5V6lrDw

James.

Jody Taylor

Ennis,Texas
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2018 3:25 pm     Sx

Jerry I am thinking about buying one of these to leave in my RV as a practice guitar. So you think they are a good guitar? I'm just trying to not lug my 80 lb pedal steel in order to practice c6 when we travel. My focus would probably be western swing.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2018 5:50 pm    

I have the P90 6 string version of the SX, Jerry. I like it a lot. It has a great sound and a hot output. Very comfortable to play. Lot of bang for the buck and I don't have many in it. Picture filePicture file

Youtube video of a 6 like mine. Great tone and versatility exhibited by the player. https://youtu.be/LpugvsBfcyQ

Tim Russell

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2018 6:01 pm    

Rondo Music makes good stuff for the money. I've owned several of their instruments over the years.

Jerry Recktenwald

Louisville KY
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2018 3:44 am    

First of all HI ! JERRY O. I Really like my new toy. Once I've put on some new strings and when my stick on fret markers get here . Finished. 13 lbs nice! Going from E 9th to C 6 makes you think.

Jerry Recktenwald

Louisville KY
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2018 6:05 am    

Wow The new strings make a night and day difference. Sounds GREAT! `

Nic Neufeld

Kansas City, Missouri
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2018 7:09 am    

I've been thinking about getting one of these eventually to replace my shortscale Morrell...all my other guitars are 8 string and longer scale, so I'd like a "anywhere" practice guitar that aligns a bit more with my other guitars. I have another SX guitar from many years ago, decent instrument, especially for the price!

Jerry Recktenwald

Louisville KY
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2018 11:52 am    

I have adjusted the pickup so that the pole screw is real close to the high g string. How can I get more volume from this string?

Gary Leggett

Space Coast, FL
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2018 12:20 pm     Looking at the 8 also.

I got the 6 string model back in Nov and like it. I have nothing to compare it to but I've picked up various Sx basses over the years.

Here's my observation on the 6 string. (I'm pretty sure the 8 string has a thinner body). My 6 string stays in tune for the most part, I play a lot each day. The pots and bridge are adequate to get started but will replace the pots as soon as I find speed pots in the small size. (hopefully they make them somewhere). And the bridge has to go asap. Works ok for intonation but the 12th fret area has to be muted a bit with the left hand because the arch in the bridge. The 8 doesn't have this bridge set up.

The case is ok to good. Don't use the legs but they work fine.

I will spend the big bucks for a lap if I could play and hear it first but until then I don't think you can go wrong with an SX.

Last edited by Gary Leggett on 13 Apr 2018 12:20 pm; edited 1 time in total

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2018 12:39 pm    

Jerry Recktenwald wrote:
I have adjusted the pickup so that the pole screw is real close to the high g string. How can I get more volume from this string?

What gauge is the string? High G should be in the .011 range.

Adjusting pickup and pole piece height has implications for tone, volume, and sustain. You might try re-leveling the pickup, and adjust only the screw under the string. Try lowering the screws on the other strings too.

Here’s a link on the subject:
https://www.seymourduncan.com/forum/showthread.php?125602-Tone-and-polepieces

PS- Don’t forget the other side of the tone/volume coin — your amp. Maybe a knob adjustment or two would help. Too much bass makes the lower strings seem louder. The treble strings get wimpy sounding, and increasing treble doesn’t really help. The volume knob also affects tone, especially on a tube amp.

Jerry Recktenwald

Louisville KY
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2018 3:28 pm    

I'll give the re leveling the pickup and play around with the tone. The high G string is a 11 

Mike Spaeth

Springdale, Arkansas
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2018 11:38 am     Re

Hey Jerry, can you please tell me how far the strings set off the fretboard?

Thanks!

Last edited by Mike Spaeth on 15 Feb 2018 6:15 am; edited 1 time in total

David Mason

Cambridge, MD, USA
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2018 5:08 pm    

Quote:
Great tone and versatility exhibited by the player.

What are you, some kind of Commie?!? Too much "funny talk" like this, people are gonna start PRACTICING instead of BUYING! Whoa!

Jerry Recktenwald

Louisville KY
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2018 5:05 am    

Hey Jerry, can you please tell me how far the strings set off the fretboard? looking at them I think about 1/2 "