The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Why IMO the B to Bb change does not belong on the vertical.
b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2018 11:32 pm    

Larry Allen wrote:
With my A & B I add the LKV (5th )and the E lower for a nice diminished chord.... Smile

If you don't lower your 10th string, it becomes the root of a 7b9 chord. Idea

Greg Milton

Benalla, Australia
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2018 12:18 am    

I totally agree with Mike that the B-Bb lower is a very useful change, and I couldn't live without it. I only lower string 5, and don't have any problems hitting it on its own, i.e. without my feet also activating pedals.

The reason I like it on the vertical lever is that it means that I can play it in combination with my 5 other knee levers - to my mind there is no other lever that you would want to use in so many combinations, as it is useful in so many positions.

Does anyone else who has it on a vertical lever use it frequently with the levers next to it?

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2018 12:59 am     Re: V lower

Larry Allen wrote:
With my A & B I add the LKV (5th )and the E lower for a nice diminished chord.... Smile

I've always made the chord by just raising the E strings. I'm going to have to try this position.

It's never too late to learn something new.

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2018 5:51 am    

A and B along with lowering the 4th and the 5th has long been one of my 'go to' diminished positions.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2018 6:54 am    

I have no problems with the LKV lever on my Franklin. I lower both the 5th and 10th strings, although I only have the "split" on the 5th string.

I use the B string lowers by themselves and with the A/B Pedals for the minor.

There are many ways of getting chords, string changes, etc. Individual preference. e.g. I have the 6th string lower and split but many times I will get a minor by slanting the bar to lower the 6th string. Same way many times I will slant the bar on the 5th string rather than use the knee lever. Slanting gives a slightly different sound than a knee lever on some things. Coming from non-pedal, bar slants are "natural".

Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2018 12:47 am    

I have both B's Lowering to Bb on my LKV and don't see any need to change it!
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2018 4:02 am    

Pete Burak wrote:
No matter what change you have on a Vertical Lever, you have to be able to use it just as easily as any other pedal/lever.

I believe that too, otherwise you're stuck with a change you try to avoid, which makes no sense.

On traditonal C6 it belongs on the right knee, but on a uni it has to go on the vertical as the right knee is otherwise engaged (literally). I have two verticals: LKV also lowers 9 (equivalent of E9 10) a half step for consistency; CKL raises it a half step so I don't have to use P8 for just one string.

It does rely on me being able to lift my leg, which in turn encourages good posture - it's harder to do if your weight's too far forward.

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2018 11:05 am    

Ian Rae wrote:
On traditonal C6 it belongs on the right knee, but on a uni it has to go on the vertical as the right knee is otherwise engaged (literally). I have two verticals: LKV also lowers 9 (equivalent of E9 10) a half step for consistency; CKL raises it a half step so I don't have to use P8 for just one string.

Your post confused me a bit at first, so I'll explain in further detail for the benefit of E9th players.

The standard lever on C6th lowers C to B, and it's positioned on the right knee. On the E9/B6 universal tuning, that change is B to Bb - the vertical we've been discussing.

P8 on the C6th raises the middle C to C# and also changes the lower strings. On E9th this would be the 10th string B to C; on E9/B6 it's the 9th string. Ian has this change on a second lever for convenience when he doesn't need the lower string notes.

Which brings me to the last point. A lot of E9th players also lower the 10th string on LKV (as does Ian). Consider removing that change if you don't use it. It's easy enough to test - just back off the tuning nut. The lever will be much easier to push, and the BMaj7 position (with E's lowered) is really pretty. C6th players use that position a lot.

On C6th, the fact that the lever moves just one string (C to B) is incredibly useful. There's the simple Maj7 chord mentioned above. P5+K makes a gorgeous 13th chord. P8+K turns the dissonant 7#9 chord into a more pleasing 9th. There are many more uses. All of them are directly transferable to E9/B6 if you don't lower both B strings on the lever.