The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Any Oahu gurus about to ID ?
Mark Santi

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2018 12:45 pm    

It's a Diana style electric lap, but different...bound sides, etc.
Thanks in advance

Noah Miller

Rocky Hill, CT
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2018 4:08 pm    

It's a pre-War (Kay-built) 299K Tonemaster.

Mark Santi

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2018 4:45 pm    

Thanx for that Noah, I've seen a few like that but not one without the radio escutcheons.

Noah Miller

Rocky Hill, CT
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2018 5:39 pm    

I've seen them both with and without. Oahu used the exact same catalog picture from 1939 through 1941, if not later. It's entirely possible that they stopped using them without updating the pic.

Steve Wilson

Morgan Hill, California, USA
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2018 5:41 pm    

Hi Mark,
I have a Oahu Kay Tonemaster like that, too. It really has a sweet, warm sound. Mine had the radio escutcheons at one time ( I can see the mounting holes), but they have gone missing at some point. If anyone comes across any I would love to buy them.

Chris Templeton

The Green Mountain State
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2018 1:27 pm    

I used to have a "Tonemaster" and thought it had a great sound. It had a switch on the back. I can't remember what it did, but I kept it in one position.

Noah Miller

Rocky Hill, CT
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2018 1:43 pm    

Chris Templeton wrote:
I used to have a "Tonemaster" and thought it had a great sound. It had a switch on the back. I can't remember what it did, but I kept it in one position.

That's the "touch control" referenced in the catalog. Basically, it was just an output pad to help keep those early amps from distorting. I haven't taken a poll, but I suspect everyone just leaves them on the louder setting today.

Chris Templeton

The Green Mountain State
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2018 2:37 pm    

That's it! Thanks Noah. Thanks

Jeremy DeHart

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2020 5:19 am    

Just picked one of these up from a small town music store at a decent price. I have to say the touch and feel of this instrument is very unique. I have several 50's Kay/Silvertone/National 6-string lapsteels and this one is a much nicer instrument. It looks to be in mint condition (along with the case!) other than that they have replaced the tuning gears (but left the originals in the case). So it appears that the back plate is made of an anodized metal, possibly the original plate, however it does not containt the "Touch Control" switch. Inside of the pickup cavity it states "345" and I'm not sure what this means. However, IS it possible that this unit never shipped with these "Touch Controls"? The wiring looks pretty old in my estimation, and does not show signs of being "re-wired" to get rid of the touch controls. Could this possibly be a sign that Oahu ditched the touch controls? A mystery! If anyone knows please help me out!

Jeremy DeHart

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2020 5:27 am    

Sorry it would not let me upload the backplate pic so here it is.

It appears to be the exact same color/metal as from this one I found on Reverb.com:

https://reverb.com/item/1999213-oahu-lap-steel-tonemaster

Noah Miller

Rocky Hill, CT
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2020 7:06 am    

Jeremy DeHart wrote:
So it appears that the back plate is made of an anodized metal, possibly the original plate, however it does not containt the "Touch Control" switch. Inside of the pickup cavity it states "345" and I'm not sure what this means. However, IS it possible that this unit never shipped with these "Touch Controls"?

The back plate is painted with a crinkle finish, not anodized. Evidently they did make at least one without a switch, because you have it! The "touch control" isn't actually mentioned in Oahu catalogs until 1941; it's entirely possible that early examples didn't have them. The "345" is probably some kind of ID number from the factory - I wouldn't call it a serial because Kay didn't use those, but it may be a batch number similar to Gibson's factory order number system.

Jeremy DeHart

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2020 8:12 am    

Thanks Noah! I did find this post for a Tonemaster that also does NOT appear to have a switch also, and the guy dates it to 1938, though I'm not sure if he's right. Sounds convincing though!

https://guitarvintners.auctivacommerce.com/Vintage-Oahu-Tonemaster-Lap-Steel-Guitar-with-Original-Case--P2708487.aspx

Jeremy DeHart

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2020 9:19 am    

This one is really cool as well. Does anyone have one of these horseshoe ripoff Oahu's? Interested in what the tone would be like. The excerpt below covers as to why they think these models are 1938 models etc.

https://guitarvintners.auctivacommerce.com/Rare-Vintage-38-Oahu-Diana-Deluxe-with-Horseshoe-Pickup-P5652943.aspx

An excerpt:

Quote:
Although very close to Rickenbacher in looks and identical in function; this pickup is a modified Rickenbacher copy. We have established it was made by Kay. Lynn Wheelwright is highly regarded (by pickup professionals as well as others) as "an incredible source of knowledge of obscurity". Lynn Wheelwright was good with sharing his knowledge, "My insight comes from having taken apart and comparing a number of the Kay and Kay built Oahu units and comparing them to quite a few Rick's, Epiphone and others that copied the Rick design. They are at first glance alike but when you examine and take measurements they seem to be made by different folks. The bobbin material is not the same, nor are the pole pieces, also the brackets and most other parts are not the same, and the magnets have a diff. manufacture stamp. (*I noted the magnets are thicker than Rickenbacher's.) Kay was licensed by Meissner as was Epiphone, they both put out PUP's that were very close to Rick in looks and identical in function. It appears that Kay discontinued this design in late 1938 and Epi in 1937". We were aware of Kay's involvement in the manufacturing of Oahu lap steels during the '30s. Lynn's knowledge fit well with this and brings it together nicely. This guitar does not have a serial number, nor source codes for dating the pots. In dating it for the description, I relied on the documentation these pickups were discontinued by 1939. We have experience with a number of '36 & '37 Tonemaster/Diana deluxe lap steels we were able to date by source codes. Being relatively confident of 1936 and early '37 not fitting, that leaves late '37 and 1938. And we have Lynn Wheelwright's input identifying the pickup as made by Kay; that leaves 1938 as (most likely) the year of manufacture. The recognition of there being Rickenbacher horseshoe copies leads me to wonder what Rickenbacher Guitars or more specifically how Adolph Rickenbacher's partner, George Beauchamp reacted to copies being produced. It's well known, Beauchamp was involved in several patent infringement lawsuits in the late '20s - early '30s. This was prior to him joining forces with Adolph Rickenbacher. I don't recall reading about issues over Ricky horseshoe copies. If anyone knows of reactions to Ricky copies in the late '30s, please contact me and shed some light.

John Kalament

South Carolina
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2020 10:46 am     Ohau Guitars

I have an Original Oahu with the Gold Art work on the front. It's a Beautiful Guitar and it's in almost Mint condition. Also have the Amp that goes with it. It has a beautiful warm tone and I love playing it. The original Plastic tuners have just about disintegrated from old age and I need to have them replaced.
Wish I knew how to post some pictures of it so someone can help me figure out it's age.
Thanks, John

Jeremy DeHart

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2020 10:53 am    

Please do John! I would love to see pics of the amp as well!